Current Game Tent schedule

    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2006
      Greetings!

      Here is the current class schedule for the Games
      Tent. We still have some openings and we can
      move some stuff around a little if
      needed. Please take a look at it and let me know
      if you have any comments/questions/concerns.

      I have not scheduled any tournaments, because we
      do not have anyone available to run them right now.

      - Michel

      Games Tent Schedule
      ===================
      Sat 12th
      --------
      10 AM "Introduction to the Game of Tarot" : Lord Michel Wolffauer
      A brief history of the card game Tarot, instructions for play, and
      some of the variants.
      No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

      1 PM "Fanarona" : Lord István Nyiregyhazi
      Come learn a traditional two player board game from Madagascar;
      which features a unique method of capturing your opponents pieces.
      No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class

      3 PM (Open)

      Sun 13th
      --------
      10 AM "Byzantine Chess" : Lord Galen MacByrne
      A one-hour class in how to play Byzantine Chess, including some basic
      strategy and tactics. Basic knowledge of how to play any version of
      chess is needed. Boards, and limited sets supplied - bring a
      (preferably small) chess set, if you have one. No materials or handout
      fee. Board and sets (with directions) may be purchased after class.
      Some gaming time included.
      Class limit 10, Age limits 13 and up, 18 and up. 1 hour class.

      1 PM "Nine mans Morris" : Ana Ximenez Hume
      Nine man's Morris is an a little more dificult game than
      Three mans morris but followes the same basic rules. It is also a good
      game for kids to learn and play. 10 children will leave with a game board
      and game pieces.
      Co-instructor: Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin
      No class limit. Ages 5-8, 9-12. 1 Hour class.

      3 PM (Open)

      Mon 14th
      --------
      10 AM "Three Mans Morris" : Ana Ximenez Hume
      Three man's Morris is an easy game to play. It is like
      medieval tic-tac-toe. It is a great game for kids to learn and play.
      10 students will leave with game pieces and a game board.
      Co-instructor: Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin
      No class limit. Ages 5-8, 9-12. 1 Hour class.

      1 PM "Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) for Beginners" : Lord Galen MacByrne
      A one-hour class in how to play Xiang-qi, including history, some basic
      strategy and tactics. Basic knowledge of how to play any version of
      chess is desired but not strictly needed. Boards and sets supplied.
      No materials or handout fee, but handouts are limited. Board and sets
      (with directions) may be purchased after class. Gaming time not
      included in class.
      Class limit 10, Age limits 13 and up, 18 and up. 1 hour class

      3 PM (Open)

      Tue 15th
      --------
      10 AM "Losing Loadum" : Lord Michel Wolffauer
      Losing Loadum is a late-period card game and one of the first trick
      avoiding games (like the modern game of Hearts). We will learn the
      game and should have time to play several hands.
      No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

      1 PM "Atlanbaj" : Lord Galen MacByrne
      A one-hour class in how to play Atlanbaj, also known as (Arabic or
      Turkish) Checkers or (Arabic or Turkish) Draughts. Knowledge of how to
      play checkers/draughts is useful but not required. Boards and sets
      supplied. No materials or handout fee, but handouts are limited.
      Board and sets (with directions) may be purchased after class. Gaming
      time included in class.
      Class limit 10, Age limits 13 and up, 18 and up. 1 Hour class

      3 PM (Open)

      Wed 16th
      --------
      10 AM "Period Board Games" : Baroness Catriona nic Hugh Mclaey
      This is a hands on workshop that explains how to play various board
      games popular in the Middle Ages with the student making a game to
      take home. There is a $3.00 fee for: Fabric for the game board,
      fabric paint, brushes, die, fabric paint markers, colored glass
      roundels for the game pieces, fabric for the carrying bag.
      No class limit. Age limit: 9-12, 13-18, Adults. 1 Hour class

      1 PM "Three Mans Morris" : Ana Ximenez Hume
      Three man's Morris is an easy game to play. It is like
      medieval tic-tac-toe. It is a great game for kids to learn and play.
      10 students will leave with game pieces and a game board.
      Co-instructor: Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin
      No class limit. Ages 5-8, 9-12. 1 Hour class.

      3 PM "Nine mans Morris" : Ana Ximenez Hume
      Nine man's Morris is an a little more dificult game than
      Three mans morris but followes the same basic rules. It is also a good
      game for kids to learn and play. 10 children will leave with a game board
      and game pieces.
      Co-instructor: Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin
      No class limit. Ages 5-8, 9-12. 1 Hour class.

      Thu 17th
      --------
      10 AM "Introduction to the Game of Go" : Lord Michel Wolffauer
      An introduction to the oriental game of Go. For beginners only.
      No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

      1 PM "The Game of Goose" : Lord István Nyiregyhazi
      An introduction to the Game of the Goose (the best period precursor
      to Chutes and Ladders) which can - especially with some small
      adjustments - be useful additions to the usual group of simple
      period games offered at events to distract persons small, large,
      and those not usually interested in period games.
      No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

      3 PM (Open)

      Fri 18th
      --------
      10 AM "Pits and Stones" : Lord István Nyiregyhazi
      The mancala family of ancient games played in period and useful
      to persona from beyond Western Europe. No coverage of period
      games would be complete without some discussion of these simple
      but intriguing games.
      No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

      1 PM "Tafl Games - Fitchneal & Tablut" : Lord Michel Wolffauer
      An introduction to the Tafl family of games, focusing on the
      smaller 7x7 and 9x9 variants.
      Limited handouts. No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

      3 PM (Open)

      --------
    • Terri Garvey
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2006
        Dear Everybody,

        I have been contacted by my friend Shawn in reference to volunteering in the
        games tent, or working for Galen, the Games merchant, and I am not sure who
        wanted me to contact whom exactly. So, Hi everyone. I am Tessa, the Amnesiac
        Wandering Scavenger Merchant. I am looking for work at Pennsic, and possibly
        other events, to support my SCA "habit." I am a merchant, a costumer, a
        teacher, a dancer and a poet. I have contacted the group before about
        volunteering in the games tent, but with multiple names and multiple email
        accounts, identities can get confused. Anyway, thanks for the interest and
        I lookforward to hearing from you.

        In Your Service,
        Tessa

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2006
          Greetings, Tessa!

          Michel is in charge of the Period Games Tent at Pennsic; please discuss
          with him either on-list here or privately, any volunteering you wish to
          do there - I'm sure he'll be very happy to have more help. Thank you
          for the offer and for volunteering your time!

          Please email me separately, off this list, at dadler@..., or
          call me (# below), or catch me at an event, to personally discuss any
          arrangements you want to make with me with regard to working at my
          merchant booth. The same goes to anyone else on this list who is
          interested in working at my booth at Pennsic, or if you have any
          particular requests for games either modern or medieval that you want
          me to bring for you; though I'm happy to try to fulfill such requests,
          this is not the proper forum for them. Though I have helped to run it
          in the past, and I will teach at the Period Games Tent as always, it is
          a separate entity from my retail booth; the Period Games Tent is run by
          volunteers, and is part of the A&S offerings and classes at Pennsic;
          A&S donates the tent to us, with the (perhaps unspoken) agreement that
          we only play and teach medieval games there.

          I hope that answers your questions, Tessa? See you at Landsknecht!

          YIS,

          Galen

          On May 31, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Terri Garvey wrote:

          > Dear Everybody,
          >
          > I have been contacted by my friend Shawn in reference to volunteering
          > in the
          > games tent, or working for Galen, the Games merchant, and I am not
          > sure who
          > wanted me to contact whom exactly. So, Hi everyone. I am Tessa, the
          > Amnesiac
          > Wandering Scavenger Merchant. I am looking for work at Pennsic, and
          > possibly
          > other events, to support my SCA "habit." I am a merchant, a costumer, a
          > teacher, a dancer and a poet. I have contacted the group before about
          > volunteering in the games tent, but with multiple names and multiple
          > email
          > accounts, identities can get confused. Anyway, thanks for the
          > interest and
          > I lookforward to hearing from you.
          >
          > In Your Service,
          > Tessa

          Daniel Adler
          Game Gnight, Inc. - Games for all Ages
          20 Quaker Ave.
          Cornwall, NY 12518
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2006
            Tessa wrote:
            >I have been contacted by my friend Shawn in reference to volunteering in the
            >games tent, or working for Galen, the Games merchant, and I am not sure who
            >wanted me to contact whom exactly. So, Hi everyone. I am Tessa, the Amnesiac
            >Wandering Scavenger Merchant.

            We'd love to have help at the tent (as always :) ) Stop by when you
            get to Pennsic and we can figure out when you are available.