Re: [pennsicgames] Time to finalize the class schedule

  • Dan Chenin
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2006
      I am not sure when or if I will be at Pennsic this year, So I cannot commit to any classes

      Yasha

      On 4/26/06, Michel Wolffauer < mike@...> wrote:
      Greetings folks!

      It's time to finalize the class schedule.  May
      1st is the deadline for Pennsic classes that will
      appear in the program booklet, and we'd like for
      all of our classes to be in the booklet.  We'll
      have a little time after the deadline to get our stuff submitted but not much.

      I've gotten Galen's three classes and two of my
      own.  We could still use several more :)

      Justin, do you know what you'd like to teach this year?

      What about you István?

      Cristofana, Yasha, Marietta will you be joining us again?

      Anyone else?

      If we do the same tournament schedule we did last
      year, then we have 17 class slots to fill.  If we
      don't find someone to run the tournaments, then
      we've got an extra 4 class slots.

      We need the same information that they ask for on the Pennsic website:
      http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn35/AANDS/asform35.html

        In (panicked last minute) Service,
           Michel

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2006

        Here is the current class schedule for the Games
        Tent. We still have some openings and we can
        move some stuff around a little if
        needed. Please take a look at it and let me know
        if you have any comments/questions/concerns.

        I have not scheduled any tournaments, because we
        do not have anyone available to run them right now.

        - Michel

        Games Tent Schedule
        ===================
        Sat 12th
        --------
        10 AM "Introduction to the Game of Tarot" : Lord Michel Wolffauer
        A brief history of the card game Tarot, instructions for play, and
        some of the variants.
        No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

        1 PM "Fanarona" : Lord István Nyiregyhazi
        Come learn a traditional two player board game from Madagascar;
        which features a unique method of capturing your opponents pieces.
        No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class

        3 PM (Open)

        Sun 13th
        --------
        10 AM "Byzantine Chess" : Lord Galen MacByrne
        A one-hour class in how to play Byzantine Chess, including some basic
        strategy and tactics. Basic knowledge of how to play any version of
        chess is needed. Boards, and limited sets supplied - bring a
        (preferably small) chess set, if you have one. No materials or handout
        fee. Board and sets (with directions) may be purchased after class.
        Some gaming time included.
        Class limit 10, Age limits 13 and up, 18 and up. 1 hour class.

        1 PM "Nine mans Morris" : Ana Ximenez Hume
        Nine man's Morris is an a little more dificult game than
        Three mans morris but followes the same basic rules. It is also a good
        game for kids to learn and play. 10 children will leave with a game board
        and game pieces.
        Co-instructor: Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin
        No class limit. Ages 5-8, 9-12. 1 Hour class.

        3 PM (Open)

        Mon 14th
        --------
        10 AM "Three Mans Morris" : Ana Ximenez Hume
        Three man's Morris is an easy game to play. It is like
        medieval tic-tac-toe. It is a great game for kids to learn and play.
        10 students will leave with game pieces and a game board.
        Co-instructor: Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin
        No class limit. Ages 5-8, 9-12. 1 Hour class.

        1 PM "Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) for Beginners" : Lord Galen MacByrne
        A one-hour class in how to play Xiang-qi, including history, some basic
        strategy and tactics. Basic knowledge of how to play any version of
        chess is desired but not strictly needed. Boards and sets supplied.
        No materials or handout fee, but handouts are limited. Board and sets
        (with directions) may be purchased after class. Gaming time not
        included in class.
        Class limit 10, Age limits 13 and up, 18 and up. 1 hour class

        3 PM (Open)

        Tue 15th
        --------
        10 AM "Losing Loadum" : Lord Michel Wolffauer
        Losing Loadum is a late-period card game and one of the first trick
        avoiding games (like the modern game of Hearts). We will learn the
        game and should have time to play several hands.
        No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

        1 PM "Atlanbaj" : Lord Galen MacByrne
        A one-hour class in how to play Atlanbaj, also known as (Arabic or
        Turkish) Checkers or (Arabic or Turkish) Draughts. Knowledge of how to
        play checkers/draughts is useful but not required. Boards and sets
        supplied. No materials or handout fee, but handouts are limited.
        Board and sets (with directions) may be purchased after class. Gaming
        time included in class.
        Class limit 10, Age limits 13 and up, 18 and up. 1 Hour class

        3 PM (Open)

        Wed 16th
        --------
        10 AM "Period Board Games" : Baroness Catriona nic Hugh Mclaey
        This is a hands on workshop that explains how to play various board
        games popular in the Middle Ages with the student making a game to
        take home. There is a $3.00 fee for: Fabric for the game board,
        fabric paint, brushes, die, fabric paint markers, colored glass
        roundels for the game pieces, fabric for the carrying bag.
        No class limit. Age limit: 9-12, 13-18, Adults. 1 Hour class

        1 PM "Three Mans Morris" : Ana Ximenez Hume
        Three man's Morris is an easy game to play. It is like
        medieval tic-tac-toe. It is a great game for kids to learn and play.
        10 students will leave with game pieces and a game board.
        Co-instructor: Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin
        No class limit. Ages 5-8, 9-12. 1 Hour class.

        3 PM "Nine mans Morris" : Ana Ximenez Hume
        Nine man's Morris is an a little more dificult game than
        Three mans morris but followes the same basic rules. It is also a good
        game for kids to learn and play. 10 children will leave with a game board
        and game pieces.
        Co-instructor: Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin
        No class limit. Ages 5-8, 9-12. 1 Hour class.

        Thu 17th
        --------
        10 AM "Introduction to the Game of Go" : Lord Michel Wolffauer
        An introduction to the oriental game of Go. For beginners only.
        No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

        1 PM "The Game of Goose" : Lord István Nyiregyhazi
        An introduction to the Game of the Goose (the best period precursor
        to Chutes and Ladders) which can - especially with some small
        adjustments - be useful additions to the usual group of simple
        period games offered at events to distract persons small, large,
        and those not usually interested in period games.
        No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

        3 PM (Open)

        Fri 18th
        --------
        10 AM "Pits and Stones" : Lord István Nyiregyhazi
        The mancala family of ancient games played in period and useful
        to persona from beyond Western Europe. No coverage of period
        games would be complete without some discussion of these simple
        but intriguing games.
        No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

        1 PM "Tafl Games - Fitchneal & Tablut" : Lord Michel Wolffauer
        An introduction to the Tafl family of games, focusing on the
        smaller 7x7 and 9x9 variants.
        Limited handouts. No class limit. No age limit. 1 Hour class.

        3 PM (Open)

        --------
      • Terri Garvey
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2006
          Dear Everybody,

          I have been contacted by my friend Shawn in reference to volunteering in the
          games tent, or working for Galen, the Games merchant, and I am not sure who
          wanted me to contact whom exactly. So, Hi everyone. I am Tessa, the Amnesiac
          Wandering Scavenger Merchant. I am looking for work at Pennsic, and possibly
          other events, to support my SCA "habit." I am a merchant, a costumer, a
          teacher, a dancer and a poet. I have contacted the group before about
          volunteering in the games tent, but with multiple names and multiple email
          accounts, identities can get confused. Anyway, thanks for the interest and
          I lookforward to hearing from you.

          In Your Service,
          Tessa

          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2006
            Greetings, Tessa!

            Michel is in charge of the Period Games Tent at Pennsic; please discuss
            with him either on-list here or privately, any volunteering you wish to
            do there - I'm sure he'll be very happy to have more help. Thank you
            for the offer and for volunteering your time!

            Please email me separately, off this list, at dadler@..., or
            call me (# below), or catch me at an event, to personally discuss any
            arrangements you want to make with me with regard to working at my
            merchant booth. The same goes to anyone else on this list who is
            interested in working at my booth at Pennsic, or if you have any
            particular requests for games either modern or medieval that you want
            me to bring for you; though I'm happy to try to fulfill such requests,
            this is not the proper forum for them. Though I have helped to run it
            in the past, and I will teach at the Period Games Tent as always, it is
            a separate entity from my retail booth; the Period Games Tent is run by
            volunteers, and is part of the A&S offerings and classes at Pennsic;
            A&S donates the tent to us, with the (perhaps unspoken) agreement that
            we only play and teach medieval games there.

            I hope that answers your questions, Tessa? See you at Landsknecht!

            YIS,

            Galen

            On May 31, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Terri Garvey wrote:

            > Dear Everybody,
            >
            > I have been contacted by my friend Shawn in reference to volunteering
            > in the
            > games tent, or working for Galen, the Games merchant, and I am not
            > sure who
            > wanted me to contact whom exactly. So, Hi everyone. I am Tessa, the
            > Amnesiac
            > Wandering Scavenger Merchant. I am looking for work at Pennsic, and
            > possibly
            > other events, to support my SCA "habit." I am a merchant, a costumer, a
            > teacher, a dancer and a poet. I have contacted the group before about
            > volunteering in the games tent, but with multiple names and multiple
            > email
            > accounts, identities can get confused. Anyway, thanks for the
            > interest and
            > I lookforward to hearing from you.
            >
            > In Your Service,
            > Tessa

            Daniel Adler
            Game Gnight, Inc. - Games for all Ages
            20 Quaker Ave.
            Cornwall, NY 12518
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 15, 2006
              Tessa wrote:
              >I have been contacted by my friend Shawn in reference to volunteering in the
              >games tent, or working for Galen, the Games merchant, and I am not sure who
              >wanted me to contact whom exactly. So, Hi everyone. I am Tessa, the Amnesiac
              >Wandering Scavenger Merchant.

              We'd love to have help at the tent (as always :) ) Stop by when you
              get to Pennsic and we can figure out when you are available.