Galen's Pennsic games classes

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2006
      So, what classes are people planning to do for Pennsic U.? I'll do
      three or four this year, as long as I have the help (which I'm planning
      on arranging ahead of time - ask me OFFLIST if you're interested) at my
      merchanting tent . Yes, you heard that right. I'll be merchanting
      full time at Pennsic this year - Salaamallah won't be selling at
      Pennsic; I'll be selling the same medieval games Salaamallah used to
      sell (I get them from him), in the same location most likely, as well
      as selling modern games with a medieval theme - the things we don't
      play or teach at the A&S tent because they're not period, but they ARE
      fun.....Euro-style board games like Settlers of Catan, etc. I won't go
      into further detail or this will start to look like an
      advertisement....

      I hope people can volunteer some of their time to teach and help Michel
      staff the Period Gaming Tent, since I won't be available except for the
      classes I'm teaching.

      Okay, here goes:

      Teacher info:

      Daniel Adler (SCA - Lord Galen MacByrne)
      20 Quaker Ave, Cornwall, NY 12518
      (845) 534-8187
      dadler@...
      Arriving Saturday, 8/5; Leaving Sunday, 8/20
      Prefer 1:00 time slot for all classes, but could do others if needed,
      except not available Wed, Thu, or Fri. of War Week, after 3:00 PM, so
      1:00 class is okay. Prefer earlier in the week for all classes. Not
      sure yet when the Thrown Weapons Champions Challenge tourney is, but
      I'd like to make that again - participating in it, preferably. Of
      course, that may be a pipe dream this year.

      Classes info:

      Byzantine Chess (Sunday, 8/13, 10 AM is good)

      A one-hour class in how to play Byzantine Chess, including some basic
      strategy and tactics. Basic knowledge of how to play any version of
      chess is needed. Boards, and limited sets supplied - bring a
      (preferably small) chess set, if you have one. No materials or handout
      fee. Board and sets (with directions) may be purchased after class.
      Class limit 10, Age limits 13 and up, 18 and up. Some gaming time
      included.

      Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) for Beginners (Monday, 8/14, 1 PM is good)

      A one-hour class in how to play Xiang-qi, including history, some basic
      strategy and tactics. Basic knowledge of how to play any version of
      chess is desired but not strictly needed. Boards and sets supplied.
      No materials or handout fee, but handouts are limited. Board and sets
      (with directions) may be purchased after class. Class limit 10, Age
      limits 13 and up, 18 and up. Gaming time not included in class.

      Atlanbaj (Tuesday, 8/15, 1 PM is good)

      A one-hour class in how to play Atlanbaj, also known as (Arabic or
      Turkish) Checkers or (Arabic or Turkish) Draughts. Knowledge of how to
      play checkers/draughts is useful but not required. Boards and sets
      supplied. No materials or handout fee, but handouts are limited.
      Board and sets (with directions) may be purchased after class. Class
      limit 10, Age limits 13 and up, 18 and up. Gaming time included in
      class.

      I'm once again participating in the Hurling class, not as the lead
      instructor but as one of the thugs with a club that new people get to
      play against.

      Other info:

      Game Tourneys (with Prizes) - I certainly won't be able to run the
      gaming tourneys this year. If someone else would like to run them, I
      will donate some prizes. Lady Rosamund? You said you're a TD for
      chess, right? If I may be so bold......Are you planning on coming to
      Pennsic this year? :+)

      Tourney suggestions:
      Tourney style (single elim, double elim, single or double round robin
      or Modern Swiss) to be determined at site, based on number of
      entrants/registrants and available time. Clock use enforced if
      necessary. Tie breaks by playoff or by tie break points if not enough
      time for a playoff.

      Chess (Byzantine) Tourney - Sunday, 8/13, 1 PM - 5 PM
      Probably elimination of some sort or 4- or 5-round Swiss; win by
      checkmate, stalemate or bare king advances to next round, if
      elimination.
      We did this one last year, it was a hit.

      Backgammon (Nard) Tourney - Monday, 8/14, 1 PM - 5 PM
      Probably Round Robin (whether single or double), first of two players
      to win 2 or to win 3 points wins round; Nard Rules = Modern initial
      setup, gammons allowed, no backgammons allowed, no doubling cube used,
      doubles rolled means player moves only 2 of that number, NOT 4 of that
      number.
      We did this one last year, it was also quite popular.

      Go Tourney - Tuesday, 8/15, 1-5 PM
      Probably single elimination or 4- or 5-round Swiss; handicaps on the
      honor system?
      I'd really like to see this one happen - Go has been increasing in
      popularity and the players at Pennsic are increasing in playing
      strength. Vivat!

      Someone should post the tourney winners in the newspaper before the end
      of the War. The existence of the tourneys, if they do get run, should
      be advertised in the paper as well. Watch the deadlines - they're
      pretty early in the day.

      Totally Unofficial Pennsic Gaming War Point - Just that, unofficial.
      Put up a sign and hash marks on a chalkboard in the Period Games tent,
      maybe....or put a funny ad in the personals in the paper....they give
      us one per day for free, right? :+)

      I can still bring chess clock(s), chalkboards, chalk and eraser for
      posting pairings, the locking trunk for the Period tent, etc. if
      needed. Please let me know.

      See you all at Pennsic!

      Game Gnight, Inc. - Games for all Ages
      20 Quaker Ave.
      Cornwall, NY 12518
      (845) 534-8187
    • Jane & Mark Waks
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2006
        Daniel Adler wrote:
        > I hope people can volunteer some of their time to teach and help Michel
        > staff the Period Gaming Tent, since I won't be available except for the
        > classes I'm teaching.

        I'm definitely in for two or three game classes (the exact number mostly
        based on how I split the game and dance classes). But I probably won't
        have time to figure out exactly which for several weeks yet. Almost
        certainly one card-game class, and probably one of some kind of tables
        variants, but beyond that I'll need to give it some real thought...

        -- Justin