Pennsic Classes, and other opportunities

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2004

      Sorry for being so quiet for so long. I wanted to bring everyone up to
      date on where things stand for the Pennsic Games Tent.

      We ran out of time when putting together the class schedule (only Galen had
      gotten a list of classes to me, but I didn't get a chance to get
      descriptions from him in time), so I punted and put in a set of generic
      Period Game classes. I was hoping to get them listed as being taught by
      the "Games Tent Staff", but if you've seen the class list they've all got
      my name on them... (and no, I don't want to teach 21 classes).

      We can still pull together a class schedule and get it posted at the tent,
      A&S point and listed in the Pennsic Independent.

      Galen has offered to run:
      Kugelach/Five Stones: Judaic Knucklebones For The Overly Dextrous
      Xiang-qi - Chinese Chess for Beginners
      Shogi - Japanese Chess for Beginners
      Modern Chess for Beginners - Chess 101

      Other classes he's mentioned (but currently not planning to run):
      Backgammon for Beginners - Backgammon 101
      It's Not Just Luck - Backgammon 201
      Make Your Own Luck - Advanced Backgammon, BG 202
      Chess for the Lost Non-Beginner - Chess 102
      The Royal Game for Common Players - Chess 201
      9 Men's Morris, Quick and Easy
      Alquerques
      Tafl variants
      Byzantine Chess for Beginners

      Jayme Hume offered to run a Great Chess class (and loan us his Great Chess
      board). He will be leaving on Aug 15th, so his class would have to be on
      that first Saturday.

      Justin will not be at Pennsic this year. In the past he has run
      Astronomical Tables (7-player Backgammon), Primero, One-and-Thirty, Laugh
      and Lie Down and Rhythmomachy. Anyone interested in teaching any of these
      would be welcome.

      I'll probably teach Tarot again, since it has been a popular class in the past.

      In addition to our classes and tournaments, I've been contacted about two
      additional opportunities.

      The first is to help out with games at the Midrealm Teens Party - I'm
      waiting on more information about it, but I suspect it's just having games
      available and teaching as needed.

      The second is a merchant who would like to run a chess or backgammon
      tournament one evening. It's at a new Turkish-style coffeehouse. They are
      looking for either help in running the tournament, or advice on setting up
      the tournament. Galen - this sounds like something you may be interested in.

      Anything catch anyone's interest? Got anything you'd like to teach? Let
      us know!

      In Service,
      Michel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2004
        Sure, I'll offer to help them set it up, maybe can run it or play in it, but
        I'm not sure if I can hang out in their tent too long if there's smoking
        going on. I won't be at SRWC this weekend, I have a wedding to go to, and
        still not set for PA sales. Should be so before Pennsic, though I'm not
        officially merchanting there.

        If we have it all set before I get to Pennsic on Monday the 9th, I'll bring
        the info to the Independent office and the A&S scheduling tent when I get
        there, if you haven't gotten it to them before that, get it to me.

        Galen

      • Sabatina
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 2004
          I'd like to do a few hours of the Astronomicals. I will look at my
          schedule and give you more info. Do you have the board and dice? I
          have not made my own yet. : (

          Sabatina

          --- In pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com, Michel Wolffauer <mike@k...>