Re: [pennsicgames] Games tent volunteers

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
      Do you have any need for a modern chess demo board?  I could bring that with me - I don't usually.

      Galen

      On Jul 16, 2013, at 8:18 PM, James McAdams wrote:

      On 7/15/2013 8:22 PM, Naomi Hampson wrote:

      Do you want the games boards that I made up last year. I am coming for second week and could bring them with me. Mike also has the white board which I can bring, if you want it.

          Please do.  I'm always willing to spiff things up, and I recall them looking very nice.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27
        For those who will be attending Pennsic - the period gaming tent is
        looking for volunteers!

        We're looking for people to explain games to people coming in (crib
        sheets available), help set up games if needed ("Where's the mancala
        board?"), keep things from getting too rowdy ("no, you cannot use chess
        pieces as a thrown weapon"), and fill in as needed.

        So if you have time, and want to sit in the shade while you teach & play
        games - please stop in.

        ---

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 17
            Greetings everyone!

            I hope everyone who was at Pennsic has rested, recovered, and
            gotten the dirt out of their gear. It's time (well, past time - but my
            post-Pennsic has been a bit hectic) to see what everyone thought worked
            well and what can be improved. Please put out anything, and we'll go
            over it.

            Firstly - thanks to everyone who taught and helped. Many hands
            make light work, and it's just fun to chat and catch up with everyone.

            As for changes this year: We had more classes this year than in
            the past - 4-5 a day instead of 3. With one or two exceptions (two
            popular classes back-to-back) it seemed to go well. What did everyone
            else think about the busier schedule?

            The one downside that showed up a couple of times between popular
            classes - we were running short on table space. I think for next year
            we need to be smarter with putting stuff out, and take up only half of
            that rear table that we use for water, tokens, staging, etc.
            On a related topic - I put up a hanging organizer that got marginal
            use. What did people think of that, and is it worth bringing back next
            year?

            Class descriptions - this is mostly a note to myself. When I
            created class descriptions, I used the terms I understand, so things
            like "The game of Tables". For whatever reason I didn't think that it
            should be put in a "Tables - period backgammon" or similar.

            Having the shogi board and diagrammatic pieces out was a plus.
            Having it on display consistently, and having the moves 'displayed' made
            the game quite popular.

            Finally, I want to take a step back next year and spend a bit more
            time doing other things around Pennsic. Lady Maggie has (unless she's
            had an attack of sanity in the past month) volunteered to head the Games
            Tent next year. Thanks for taking a turn, Maggie!

            That's most of my rambling for now. Please let us know your views.

            In service,
            Xavier

            ---
          • Margaret Forsell-VanHorn
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 20
              First off, I want to say thank you for all you do and the time you have given.  Both you and Istvan do an awesome job making people feel welcome and sharing your knowledge.  I saw some other recurring faces although I don't know anyone's name.  Normally, I pop in to teach or learn a card game because I love card games, but this last year, I decided to just hang out and learned a couple other games as well.  It just felt comfortable.

              I have not yet started to regret my decision to take the reins next year.  I am kind of excited about it.  I don't have a lot of experience with what has or hasn't worked in the past, so if I suggest anything that was tried, and didn't work, just let me know.

              I was thinking maybe of bringing a small table that we could use with your hanging storage and be able to open up that whole back table for playing.  We could possibly dedicate it to classes and rush hour overflow.  We may need to rearrange a little to optimize the space, but I think it wouldn't be too crowded.

              And the suggestion of having the simplified rules for the games right with them is great.  I think next year I am going to be learning a lot of new games.

              Later on this year, I am going to review how the classes have been scheduled for the last few years and have a discussion on the list about what times and class lengths work best.

              Also, next year, I would like to try to put together a little inventory of what we have.  That's mostly for me, since I really don't know much about the games, other than cards.  If an inventory has been done in the past, we could start with that and make sure it is updated.

              I am really looking forward to next year, hopefully getting to know the people on this list, especially any who will be at Pennsic next year.  I would encourage anyone who will be there to volunteer to teach a class.  If you are not comfortable teaching a class, sign up to help oversee the happenings.  Or just come to a scheduled class to learn a new game or support the teacher.  It is usually easier to teach a group if one or two people already know what is going on.

              Thank you,

              Maggie