Re: [pennsicgames] Games tent volunteers

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14, 2013
      Don't know if I can break away from the tent more often than the classes I scheduled to teach, but I'll see if I can send one of the booth staff to help!  LMK when you need, if so.

      Galen

      On Jul 14, 2013, at 2:18 PM, Stephen Tihor wrote:

      I'll be there monday

      On Jul 14, 2013, at 11:22 AM, James McAdams <jmcadams@...> wrote:

      Greetings,
      Time is flying (wayyy to fast), and Pennsic is almost here. If
      anyone is interested and willing to help out in the games tent and can
      commit to times in advance, please let me know.
      We'll be open from Tuesday the 23rd through Thursday the 1st. I'd
      like to have people there for 2 hours at a time to greet people, explain
      game rules (copious crib sheets are available if you want a refresher -
      I often need one), and join in if a game is short-handed.
      The most common questions we get are "I heard about a game
      called....", and "What sort of games do you have like..."

      So come lend a hand keeping one corner of Pennsic running smoothly
      while sitting in the shade!

      Dean of the College of Games.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
            On 7/15/2013 8:22 PM, Naomi Hampson wrote:
            Do you want the games boards that I made up last year. I am coming for second week and could bring them with me. Mike also has the white board which I can bring, if you want it.

                Please do.  I'm always willing to spiff things up, and I recall them looking very nice.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
              Do you have any need for a modern chess demo board?  I could bring that with me - I don't usually.

              Galen

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27
                For those who will be attending Pennsic - the period gaming tent is
                looking for volunteers!

                We're looking for people to explain games to people coming in (crib
                sheets available), help set up games if needed ("Where's the mancala
                board?"), keep things from getting too rowdy ("no, you cannot use chess
                pieces as a thrown weapon"), and fill in as needed.

                So if you have time, and want to sit in the shade while you teach & play
                games - please stop in.

                ---

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 17
                    Greetings everyone!

                    I hope everyone who was at Pennsic has rested, recovered, and
                    gotten the dirt out of their gear. It's time (well, past time - but my
                    post-Pennsic has been a bit hectic) to see what everyone thought worked
                    well and what can be improved. Please put out anything, and we'll go
                    over it.

                    Firstly - thanks to everyone who taught and helped. Many hands
                    make light work, and it's just fun to chat and catch up with everyone.

                    As for changes this year: We had more classes this year than in
                    the past - 4-5 a day instead of 3. With one or two exceptions (two
                    popular classes back-to-back) it seemed to go well. What did everyone
                    else think about the busier schedule?

                    The one downside that showed up a couple of times between popular
                    classes - we were running short on table space. I think for next year
                    we need to be smarter with putting stuff out, and take up only half of
                    that rear table that we use for water, tokens, staging, etc.
                    On a related topic - I put up a hanging organizer that got marginal
                    use. What did people think of that, and is it worth bringing back next
                    year?

                    Class descriptions - this is mostly a note to myself. When I
                    created class descriptions, I used the terms I understand, so things
                    like "The game of Tables". For whatever reason I didn't think that it
                    should be put in a "Tables - period backgammon" or similar.

                    Having the shogi board and diagrammatic pieces out was a plus.
                    Having it on display consistently, and having the moves 'displayed' made
                    the game quite popular.

                    Finally, I want to take a step back next year and spend a bit more
                    time doing other things around Pennsic. Lady Maggie has (unless she's
                    had an attack of sanity in the past month) volunteered to head the Games
                    Tent next year. Thanks for taking a turn, Maggie!

                    That's most of my rambling for now. Please let us know your views.

                    In service,
                    Xavier

                    ---
                  • Margaret Forsell-VanHorn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 20
                      First off, I want to say thank you for all you do and the time you have given.  Both you and Istvan do an awesome job making people feel welcome and sharing your knowledge.  I saw some other recurring faces although I don't know anyone's name.  Normally, I pop in to teach or learn a card game because I love card games, but this last year, I decided to just hang out and learned a couple other games as well.  It just felt comfortable.

                      I have not yet started to regret my decision to take the reins next year.  I am kind of excited about it.  I don't have a lot of experience with what has or hasn't worked in the past, so if I suggest anything that was tried, and didn't work, just let me know.

                      I was thinking maybe of bringing a small table that we could use with your hanging storage and be able to open up that whole back table for playing.  We could possibly dedicate it to classes and rush hour overflow.  We may need to rearrange a little to optimize the space, but I think it wouldn't be too crowded.

                      And the suggestion of having the simplified rules for the games right with them is great.  I think next year I am going to be learning a lot of new games.

                      Later on this year, I am going to review how the classes have been scheduled for the last few years and have a discussion on the list about what times and class lengths work best.

                      Also, next year, I would like to try to put together a little inventory of what we have.  That's mostly for me, since I really don't know much about the games, other than cards.  If an inventory has been done in the past, we could start with that and make sure it is updated.

                      I am really looking forward to next year, hopefully getting to know the people on this list, especially any who will be at Pennsic next year.  I would encourage anyone who will be there to volunteer to teach a class.  If you are not comfortable teaching a class, sign up to help oversee the happenings.  Or just come to a scheduled class to learn a new game or support the teacher.  It is usually easier to teach a group if one or two people already know what is going on.

                      Thank you,

                      Maggie