Games tent volunteers

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 14, 2013
      Greetings,
      Time is flying (wayyy to fast), and Pennsic is almost here. If
      anyone is interested and willing to help out in the games tent and can
      commit to times in advance, please let me know.
      We'll be open from Tuesday the 23rd through Thursday the 1st. I'd
      like to have people there for 2 hours at a time to greet people, explain
      game rules (copious crib sheets are available if you want a refresher -
      I often need one), and join in if a game is short-handed.
      The most common questions we get are "I heard about a game
      called....", and "What sort of games do you have like..."

      So come lend a hand keeping one corner of Pennsic running smoothly
      while sitting in the shade!

      Dean of the College of Games.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 16, 2013
                On 7/15/2013 8:22 PM, Naomi Hampson wrote:
                Do you want the games boards that I made up last year. I am coming for second week and could bring them with me. Mike also has the white board which I can bring, if you want it.

                    Please do.  I'm always willing to spiff things up, and I recall them looking very nice.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 16, 2013
                  Do you have any need for a modern chess demo board?  I could bring that with me - I don't usually.

                  Galen

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 27
                    For those who will be attending Pennsic - the period gaming tent is
                    looking for volunteers!

                    We're looking for people to explain games to people coming in (crib
                    sheets available), help set up games if needed ("Where's the mancala
                    board?"), keep things from getting too rowdy ("no, you cannot use chess
                    pieces as a thrown weapon"), and fill in as needed.

                    So if you have time, and want to sit in the shade while you teach & play
                    games - please stop in.

                    ---

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 17 10:21 PM
                        Greetings everyone!

                        I hope everyone who was at Pennsic has rested, recovered, and
                        gotten the dirt out of their gear. It's time (well, past time - but my
                        post-Pennsic has been a bit hectic) to see what everyone thought worked
                        well and what can be improved. Please put out anything, and we'll go
                        over it.

                        Firstly - thanks to everyone who taught and helped. Many hands
                        make light work, and it's just fun to chat and catch up with everyone.

                        As for changes this year: We had more classes this year than in
                        the past - 4-5 a day instead of 3. With one or two exceptions (two
                        popular classes back-to-back) it seemed to go well. What did everyone
                        else think about the busier schedule?

                        The one downside that showed up a couple of times between popular
                        classes - we were running short on table space. I think for next year
                        we need to be smarter with putting stuff out, and take up only half of
                        that rear table that we use for water, tokens, staging, etc.
                        On a related topic - I put up a hanging organizer that got marginal
                        use. What did people think of that, and is it worth bringing back next
                        year?

                        Class descriptions - this is mostly a note to myself. When I
                        created class descriptions, I used the terms I understand, so things
                        like "The game of Tables". For whatever reason I didn't think that it
                        should be put in a "Tables - period backgammon" or similar.

                        Having the shogi board and diagrammatic pieces out was a plus.
                        Having it on display consistently, and having the moves 'displayed' made
                        the game quite popular.

                        Finally, I want to take a step back next year and spend a bit more
                        time doing other things around Pennsic. Lady Maggie has (unless she's
                        had an attack of sanity in the past month) volunteered to head the Games
                        Tent next year. Thanks for taking a turn, Maggie!

                        That's most of my rambling for now. Please let us know your views.

                        In service,
                        Xavier

                        ---