Re: [pennsicgames] Pennsic 42

  • Justin du coeur
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 10 8:55 AM
      On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Daniel Adler <dadler@...> wrote:
      Living Chess Game at Pennsic, always been an idea I wanted to do, whether with fighting pieces or just for show.  I know Carolingia's done a fencing tourney as a chess game several times, I have their rules somewhere.

      Yaas -- we originally got the idea from the Cumberland Faire, a particularly good renfaire down in Rhode Island.  High concept is that each move is essentially provisional: if you make a move that would result in capture, we quickly clear the board and the two "pieces" duel it out.  (Hence the traditional name for the event, "Duello".)  It is not unusual for a capture to fail, which makes gambits rather interesting.

      In some versions, the King gets to pull in a defender from his side, so winning is hard: you not only need to win in the chess sense, you need to attack with a strong enough piece that he can pull off the 1-on-2 kill.

      We usually ran it as a parallel tournament -- a chess tourney and a fencing tourney running simultaneously in the afternoon, with the finalists of those becoming the competing chess masters and kings for the final game.

      Delightfully fun stuff.  If you can't find the rules, and actually care, I can probably put you in touch with Richard de Lacy, who brought the idea from the Faire to Carolingia.  (He's in the Midrealm nowadays, and less active in the SCA, but still comes to Pennsic.)
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 10 10:01 AM
        On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Justin du coeur wrote:

[...]

        Yes, I attended the event quite a few years ago (heck, I won the speed chess tourney and the privilege of duking it out with Duke Vissevald in proxy on the chessboard - where his players won the fencing chess game), but I know I have hardcopy of the rules on file SOMEWHERE if I need them (it would depend on what people want to attempt, just a tourney, a spectacle such as is still done in Marostica, Italy or combined with a fencing, heavy, or even a Youth combat tourney.
        (http://armchairtravelogue.blogspot.com/2009/06/living-chess-game-at-marostica-italy.html).  Knights do have to learn to play chess or an equivalent game to their period…..

      • __ZASPER__
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 18 7:28 AM
          Hello,

          I won't be able to commit to a time for teaching go, until sometime in June, so it's difficult for me to chime in here. I would love to teach go once I figure out when I can do so.

          Secondly, I would love for the "day of go" to be moved closer to the middle of Pennsic. I simply can not to the end of war, and so for me to partake in the day of go, It would need to be Monday or Tuesday of war week at the latest. When I mentioned this at the last war, it was suggested I bring it up on this group. Any chance we can move the day of go forward?

          Olrick.

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 18 8:29 PM
            On 3/18/2013 9:28 AM, __ZASPER__ wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I won't be able to commit to a time for teaching go, until sometime in June, so it's difficult for me to chime in here. I would love to teach go once I figure out when I can do so.
            >
            > Secondly, I would love for the "day of go" to be moved closer to the middle of Pennsic. I simply can not to the end of war, and so for me to partake in the day of go, It would need to be Monday or Tuesday of war week at the latest. When I mentioned this at the last war, it was suggested I bring it up on this group. Any chance we can move the day of go forward?
            >
            > Olrick.

            To get classes into the book, they'll need to be scheduled by April
            15th (Yep - an earlier deadline this year). After that, classes will
            still be listed - just not in the printed book.

            The reason I have heard for having the "Day of Go" on the last day
            has been that it lets us clean up everything else, leaving just simple
            boards and stones out. I'd like to keep that tradition going, but we
            could do an additional one earlier in the war.
            What to people think about doing a "Day of Go" at the end of each
            week - Friday and Thursday this year?

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 1, 2014
              Greetings Lords and Ladies,
              It's time to start thinking about Pennsic 43. The first big
              question - does anyone want to take charge of the period games tent this
              year? I'm willing and able (and I think I learned a couple of things
              last year), but want to put it out there to see if anyone else wants a turn.

              Travel safely,
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3 7:30 AM

                Hi

                I am currently not planning on attending Pennsic this year. If you want to make arrangements to get the game boards from and back to me, I am happy to have them at Pennsic.

                Ishtvan - you had mentioned you might want to buy a set either for the tent or for yourself. If you email me off list, I can give you pricings and details.

                -Naomi

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 25, 2014
                  Greetings Lords and Ladies,

                  I apologize for not sending earlier reminders - my day job has been
                  beating me up fiercely.

                  In any case - anyone who is able or willing to teach a gaming class at
                  Pennsic this year, please submit them on the website
                  (http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn43/DEPTS/pennu.html) as soon as you can.

                  To help - let's hear what people want to teach this year. I'm going to
                  teach Go twice unless someone else wants to do so, and haven't decided
                  what else to do.

                  In service,
                  Xavier

                  ---
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 26, 2014
                    Oops - sorry for getting the year wrong on my last mail. *sighs*

                    Who is planning to be at Pennsic this year? I've heard from Naomi
                    that she probably won't be there. Who else will and won't be attending?

                    Xavier

                    ---

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 27, 2014
                            On 4/27/2014 12:06 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:
                            I've submitted Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) and Celtic Hurling (taught on the battlefield).  Deciding on third class at the moment, maybe Atlanbaj.  Shogi will be hard to do without making up more beginner (International symbol) sets that I don't have time to do via wood burner, etc. - printing on paper won't fly.  Well, actually, they will fly, that's the problem.  :+)  Workaround suggestions?

                            I'll once again stock up on some different qualities of Go sets for sale.  Are you as usual planning the Day of Go for the final day of classes as well?  Any tourney planned this year, etc.?

                            Galen

                            Yes, the last day of classes will be the "Day of Go" - or at least line & stone games.  There's no tourneys scheduled yet - if someone has an idea please throw it out.

                            For the shogi sets, I can make a couple of crude pieces with wood and ink.  They WON'T be pretty, but they'll be legible.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 30, 2014
                              The title says it all. I'll be filling in some usual classes tomorrow
                              night when I see what's there.

                              Xavier

                              ---
                            • Margaret ForsellVanHorn
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 30, 2014
                                Good morning!  I took some card game classes last year at Pennsic and I love to play cards.  I would be willing to teach up to three classes of any card game/s as long as I can get  the rules beforehand.  I will definitely be at war the second week.  I can be there for classes starting the morning of Saturday August 2.  Let me know if you need any more information.

                                Thank you,

                                Lady Margaret of Enniscorthy

                                On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:31 AM, James McAdams <jmcadams@...> wrote:
                                The title says it all.   I'll be filling in some usual classes tomorrow
                                night when I see what's there.

                                Xavier

                                ---

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                    pennsicgames-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    pennsicgames-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              • Justin du coeur

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 30, 2014
                                    On 4/30/2014 8:24 AM, Margaret ForsellVanHorn wrote:
                                    Good morning!  I took some card game classes last year at Pennsic and I love to play cards.  I would be willing to teach up to three classes of any card game/s as long as I can get  the rules beforehand.  I will definitely be at war the second week.  I can be there for classes starting the morning of Saturday August 2.  Let me know if you need any more information.

                                    Thank you,

                                    Lady Margaret of Enniscorthy

                                    That is a generous offer.  I'll put some classes in and make sure you receive the rules soon.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 11, 2014
                                      On 4/30/2014 8:24 AM, Margaret ForsellVanHorn wrote:
                                      Good morning!  I took some card game classes last year at Pennsic and I love to play cards.  I would be willing to teach up to three classes of any card game/s as long as I can get  the rules beforehand.  I will definitely be at war the second week.  I can be there for classes starting the morning of Saturday August 2.  Let me know if you need any more information.

                                      Thank you,

                                      Lady Margaret of Enniscorthy

                                      Greetings Lady Margaret.

                                          Are there days/times that work better for you to teach?

                                      Xavier - Games Tent coordinator

                                    • Margaret ForsellVanHorn