Re: [pennsicgames] Pennsic 42

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 8 4:43 AM
      I should be there most of the first week as well as the second.
      AS usual I'll gladly tray nd teach anything,   We should try and get some of our high turnout classes in early as well as late.  Thinks like the Tarot and other card game classes.

      On Mar 8, 2013, at 3:03 AM, James McAdams <jmcadams@...> wrote:

      Greetings Lords and Ladies,

      I've volunteered to organize (no laughing please) the Pennsic gaming
      tent and classes for this year.

      It's time for those who will be attending and are interested in teaching
      to think about the specifics of what they will teach, and start
      registering classes. I haven't seen a definite deadline for the on-site
      book yet, but the end of April is the usual cut-off.

      Some changes this year - not only is Pennsic being held a week earlier,
      but it's ending a day earlier yet. Classes will run from the Tuesday of
      first week through THURSDAY of war week. So the "Day of Go" will be
      Thursday this year while we clean up the tent.

      Does anyone have ideas for improving the tent? Class ideas? If so you
      can either toss them out here, or send them directly to me.

      My ideas so far:
      I'd like to have the tent open during the first week of war if
      possible. I know our volunteer pool will be thinner then, but if you
      plan on being there and are willing to donate some time, please let me
      know as early as you can. I'd like to advertise as accurately as possible.
      The "Day of Go" seems popular. I'd like to do a dedicated "Day of
      Chess" as well - with the classes focusing on chess or medieval chess
      variants. Does anyone have chess class ideas, and if so any definite
      days to teach them?

      In service,

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 8 7:42 PM
        I'm there the whole time, of course, and plan to be selling, but my ability to teach classes/cover the Period Gaming tent is subject to staff coverage in my selling booth.  I'm usually pretty thin on staff the first week.

        I have the following Chess variants classes I've taught before, some at Pennsic, some elsewhere:

        Shogi for Beginners (Japanese Chess)
        Xiang-qi for Beginners (Chinese Chess)
        Byzantine Chess for Beginners
        The Royal Game for Common Players (Modern Chess 201)
        Chess for the Lost Non-Beginner (Modern Chess 102)
        Modern Chess for Beginners (Modern Chess 101) could be worked up if I had time, too - though I'd prefer teaching something others don't so someone who wants to teach it certainly can.

        I have a modern chess vertical demo board and pieces that are ideal for larger classes that use the modern 8x8 checkered board, in a more traditional lecture-type format, if someone wants to use it I'll bring it (or if one of my classes will need it, I'll definitely bring it).

        I will of course have a selection of medieval chess variants for sale, and Salamallah's book and the cloth games.  I should have a selection of Tarot decks also, and the usual selection of Go equipment.  If you need something sourced in time for Pennsic, please lmk ASAP.

        Tourney plans?  Get it in the book if so, and let me know if prize support is needed.

        Living Chess Game at Pennsic, always been an idea I wanted to do, whether with fighting pieces or just for show.  I know Carolingia's done a fencing tourney as a chess game several times, I have their rules somewhere.  We did a similar chess game heavy weapons version for a Boy Scout demo some years ago too, with flour-whitened grass squares.  But it was like 100 degrees that day, we didn't have enough fighters, and we called it early.  If the Royals get involved, could be a helluva spectacle, but there's little time in the Pennsic schedule for anything new…..unless they push for it.

        Galen

        On Mar 8, 2013, at 7:43 AM, Stephen Tihor wrote:

[...]

        Xavier

        .

      • Justin du coeur
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 10 8:55 AM
          On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Daniel Adler <dadler@...> wrote:
          Living Chess Game at Pennsic, always been an idea I wanted to do, whether with fighting pieces or just for show.  I know Carolingia's done a fencing tourney as a chess game several times, I have their rules somewhere.

          Yaas -- we originally got the idea from the Cumberland Faire, a particularly good renfaire down in Rhode Island.  High concept is that each move is essentially provisional: if you make a move that would result in capture, we quickly clear the board and the two "pieces" duel it out.  (Hence the traditional name for the event, "Duello".)  It is not unusual for a capture to fail, which makes gambits rather interesting.

          In some versions, the King gets to pull in a defender from his side, so winning is hard: you not only need to win in the chess sense, you need to attack with a strong enough piece that he can pull off the 1-on-2 kill.

          We usually ran it as a parallel tournament -- a chess tourney and a fencing tourney running simultaneously in the afternoon, with the finalists of those becoming the competing chess masters and kings for the final game.

          Delightfully fun stuff.  If you can't find the rules, and actually care, I can probably put you in touch with Richard de Lacy, who brought the idea from the Faire to Carolingia.  (He's in the Midrealm nowadays, and less active in the SCA, but still comes to Pennsic.)
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 10 10:01 AM
            On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Justin du coeur wrote:

[...]

            Yes, I attended the event quite a few years ago (heck, I won the speed chess tourney and the privilege of duking it out with Duke Vissevald in proxy on the chessboard - where his players won the fencing chess game), but I know I have hardcopy of the rules on file SOMEWHERE if I need them (it would depend on what people want to attempt, just a tourney, a spectacle such as is still done in Marostica, Italy or combined with a fencing, heavy, or even a Youth combat tourney.
            (http://armchairtravelogue.blogspot.com/2009/06/living-chess-game-at-marostica-italy.html).  Knights do have to learn to play chess or an equivalent game to their period…..

          • __ZASPER__
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 18 7:28 AM
              Hello,

              I won't be able to commit to a time for teaching go, until sometime in June, so it's difficult for me to chime in here. I would love to teach go once I figure out when I can do so.

              Secondly, I would love for the "day of go" to be moved closer to the middle of Pennsic. I simply can not to the end of war, and so for me to partake in the day of go, It would need to be Monday or Tuesday of war week at the latest. When I mentioned this at the last war, it was suggested I bring it up on this group. Any chance we can move the day of go forward?

              Olrick.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 18 8:29 PM
                On 3/18/2013 9:28 AM, __ZASPER__ wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > I won't be able to commit to a time for teaching go, until sometime in June, so it's difficult for me to chime in here. I would love to teach go once I figure out when I can do so.
                >
                > Secondly, I would love for the "day of go" to be moved closer to the middle of Pennsic. I simply can not to the end of war, and so for me to partake in the day of go, It would need to be Monday or Tuesday of war week at the latest. When I mentioned this at the last war, it was suggested I bring it up on this group. Any chance we can move the day of go forward?
                >
                > Olrick.

                To get classes into the book, they'll need to be scheduled by April
                15th (Yep - an earlier deadline this year). After that, classes will
                still be listed - just not in the printed book.

                The reason I have heard for having the "Day of Go" on the last day
                has been that it lets us clean up everything else, leaving just simple
                boards and stones out. I'd like to keep that tradition going, but we
                could do an additional one earlier in the war.
                What to people think about doing a "Day of Go" at the end of each
                week - Friday and Thursday this year?

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 1, 2014
                  Greetings Lords and Ladies,
                  It's time to start thinking about Pennsic 43. The first big
                  question - does anyone want to take charge of the period games tent this
                  year? I'm willing and able (and I think I learned a couple of things
                  last year), but want to put it out there to see if anyone else wants a turn.

                  Travel safely,
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3 7:30 AM

                    Hi

                    I am currently not planning on attending Pennsic this year. If you want to make arrangements to get the game boards from and back to me, I am happy to have them at Pennsic.

                    Ishtvan - you had mentioned you might want to buy a set either for the tent or for yourself. If you email me off list, I can give you pricings and details.

                    -Naomi

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 25, 2014
                      Greetings Lords and Ladies,

                      I apologize for not sending earlier reminders - my day job has been
                      beating me up fiercely.

                      In any case - anyone who is able or willing to teach a gaming class at
                      Pennsic this year, please submit them on the website
                      (http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn43/DEPTS/pennu.html) as soon as you can.

                      To help - let's hear what people want to teach this year. I'm going to
                      teach Go twice unless someone else wants to do so, and haven't decided
                      what else to do.

                      In service,
                      Xavier

                      ---
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 26, 2014
                        Oops - sorry for getting the year wrong on my last mail. *sighs*

                        Who is planning to be at Pennsic this year? I've heard from Naomi
                        that she probably won't be there. Who else will and won't be attending?

                        Xavier

                        ---

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 27, 2014
                                On 4/27/2014 12:06 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:
                                I've submitted Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) and Celtic Hurling (taught on the battlefield).  Deciding on third class at the moment, maybe Atlanbaj.  Shogi will be hard to do without making up more beginner (International symbol) sets that I don't have time to do via wood burner, etc. - printing on paper won't fly.  Well, actually, they will fly, that's the problem.  :+)  Workaround suggestions?

                                I'll once again stock up on some different qualities of Go sets for sale.  Are you as usual planning the Day of Go for the final day of classes as well?  Any tourney planned this year, etc.?

                                Galen

                                Yes, the last day of classes will be the "Day of Go" - or at least line & stone games.  There's no tourneys scheduled yet - if someone has an idea please throw it out.

                                For the shogi sets, I can make a couple of crude pieces with wood and ink.  They WON'T be pretty, but they'll be legible.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 30, 2014
                                  The title says it all. I'll be filling in some usual classes tomorrow
                                  night when I see what's there.

                                  Xavier

                                  ---
                                • Margaret ForsellVanHorn
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 30, 2014
                                    Good morning!  I took some card game classes last year at Pennsic and I love to play cards.  I would be willing to teach up to three classes of any card game/s as long as I can get  the rules beforehand.  I will definitely be at war the second week.  I can be there for classes starting the morning of Saturday August 2.  Let me know if you need any more information.

                                    Thank you,

                                    Lady Margaret of Enniscorthy

                                    On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:31 AM, James McAdams <jmcadams@...> wrote:
                                    The title says it all.   I'll be filling in some usual classes tomorrow
                                    night when I see what's there.

                                    Xavier

                                    ---

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        pennsicgames-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        pennsicgames-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  • Justin du coeur

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 30, 2014
                                        On 4/30/2014 8:24 AM, Margaret ForsellVanHorn wrote:
                                        Good morning!  I took some card game classes last year at Pennsic and I love to play cards.  I would be willing to teach up to three classes of any card game/s as long as I can get  the rules beforehand.  I will definitely be at war the second week.  I can be there for classes starting the morning of Saturday August 2.  Let me know if you need any more information.

                                        Thank you,

                                        Lady Margaret of Enniscorthy

                                        That is a generous offer.  I'll put some classes in and make sure you receive the rules soon.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 11, 2014
                                          On 4/30/2014 8:24 AM, Margaret ForsellVanHorn wrote:
                                          Good morning!  I took some card game classes last year at Pennsic and I love to play cards.  I would be willing to teach up to three classes of any card game/s as long as I can get  the rules beforehand.  I will definitely be at war the second week.  I can be there for classes starting the morning of Saturday August 2.  Let me know if you need any more information.

                                          Thank you,

                                          Lady Margaret of Enniscorthy

                                          Greetings Lady Margaret.

                                              Are there days/times that work better for you to teach?

                                          Xavier - Games Tent coordinator

                                        • Margaret ForsellVanHorn