Re: [pennsicgames] Class schedule (8/6)

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
      Say how about Games for Squires?

      One of the traditional expectations was that a young squire would
      learn to play the strategic planning wargame of the Period, Chess.
      This class is intended to help jump start Squires who need more
      familiarity with the strategy games of their period such as Chess, or
      the local Tafl variation for Scandinavians and peoples they "visited"
      a lot, and so on.

      Pick a time when someone who is up for Shogi, GO, et al is around and
      we have most everyone covered.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
        Well said, Istvan, given that one of the requirements for SCA Knighthood is
        to know how to play chess (no particular kind is mentioned; they are not
        required to play well, just to know the rules).

        Is there a slot that doesn't conflict with any major battles? Early in the
        week? Hard to get squires to come to the game tent for a class when their
        knight requires them to be on the field taking heads.

        As Istvan knows already I'm sure (but the rest of you probably not), our
        Mayor this year, Sir Edward Zifran of Gendy, runs an unbelted challenge in
        NYC every year, where in addition to the combat, people are tested on their
        knowledge of the other knightly virtues. His chess questions are a killer
        if you don't know the rules....hence my choice of classes to teach this year
        (Modern, Chinese and Japanese chess). Next year I'll do Byzantine, and
        maybe a weird one like Forced Chess. Have to find the time to write the
        handouts. :+)

        His Excellency Baron Salamallah mentioned to me a while ago he may come
        teach something esoteric like Atlanbaj as well. He isn't on this list, as
        you know. He'll add the class on site, so, Michel, please leave a slot open
        for him.

        Galen

        > From: Stephen Tihor <stihor@...>
        > Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:15:47 -0400
        > To: pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [pennsicgames] Class schedule (8/6)
        >
        > Say how about Games for Squires?
        >
        > One of the traditional expectations was that a young squire would
        > learn to play the strategic planning wargame of the Period, Chess.
        > This class is intended to help jump start Squires who need more
        > familiarity with the strategy games of their period such as Chess, or
        > the local Tafl variation for Scandinavians and peoples they "visited"
        > a lot, and so on.
        >
        > Pick a time when someone who is up for Shogi, GO, et al is around and
        > we have most everyone covered.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Marietta Legates
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
          Can I get on the schedule once I'm actually at Pennsic, as until I'm
          actually there I have no way of knowing what my schedule will actually
          look like?

          -= Marietta =-
          Shire of Caer Adamant

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
            Greetings, Marietta!

            We can add classes at War, Michel is setting and collating the schedule and
            emailing it to me since I'll be onsite first, and can drop it off, as far as
            it gets done by Sunday night, at A&S Point, etc. for inclusion in their
            master schedule there, at the Pennsic Independent for their daily add/drop
            list, etc., Tuesday morning on the 10th. Class slots and times are already
            reserved as "Period Games" on the master A&S schedule, and that's how it'll
            be in the book at site; people will have to check with us, see the add/drop
            list in the Independent, or read the postings on the bulletin board at A&S
            Point.

            My guess, Marietta, is yes, there are still plenty of open slots on the
            schedule, but you'll have to do the add yourself at A&S Point. Check with
            us on your way to A&S PT for the latest update, when you get in - A&S has a
            long delay sometimes between when you do the add and when it gets posted.
            What are you planning on teaching? Is there anything special you need to be
            there for your class, that's not on the list I posted of things in the tent,
            that you're not bringing?

            Michel, I have a small dry-erase board we can write our games classes mini-
            schedule on and leave at the tent so people can see the list. It's a
            donation, a permanent addition to the Pennsic Gaming Tent stuff. Can we add
            it to the trailer for permanent storage out there, Istvan?

            Galen