Re: Gaming at Pennsic 41

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
      SHould be there for 10-11 days this time. Hope to have a little
      more brain this year. We will see.
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
        On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Mike Knauer wrote:

        Greetings Gamers!

        The planning for Pennsic 41 has begun - the budget has been approved and
        the staff list is being pulled together.

        I've been asked to organize the Games Tent this year, and if no one here
        has any objections, I'd like to do so.

        I've got the notes that Naomi took from last Pennsic, and would like to
        go over them to figure out what we need from the Pennsic staff and what
        we need from elsewhere.

        To start - who here is already planning to be at Pennsic next year? And
        what would you like to do as part of the Games Tent?

        In Service,
        Michel

        Welcome back Michel - no objections from me if you want to organize again!

        I will of course be selling at Pennsic as usual.  I will teach a few games as well - unsure at this time what, I'll have to see what I can still print out now (new Mac with OS Lion doesn't print my old non-word-processing class notes - diagrams, pieces, etc., though the word-processing portions of the notes are translating fine.  I believe I still have the master originals to photocopy, but if I want to update/edit the diagrams, I'll have to recreate the docs somehow - iWork isn't working to translate those.  :+)

        I'll teach the Hurling class and game for sure.  Chinese and/or Japanese chess probably (Xiang-qi and Shogi) as well.  I prefer teaching a class no one else will do, to give others the opportunity to teach if they want (and get the neato teacher's token from the University).

        If you want to run a tourney of some kind, I'll see about donating prize(s).  I dunno if I'll be able to cover a shift if needed, that'll have to be determined at the event when I see who's working at my booth and when.

        What will the budget cover?  How much is in the budget?  Is it just enough to replace the consumables we go through, like dry erase pens, hand sanitizer, butcher paper?  Did the sign(s) need re-epoxying?  Do we have extra money to cover new expenses, buy new games?  Tent could use it's own large water dispenser/cooler/etc, if the University is not supplying water anymore.  Write Period Games Tent on it in big thick black Sharpie.  People can bring their own drinking vessel.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 13, 2011
          On 12/12/2011 9:48 AM, Mike Knauer wrote:
          > Greetings Gamers!
          >
          > The planning for Pennsic 41 has begun - the budget has been approved and
          > the staff list is being pulled together.
          >
          > I've been asked to organize the Games Tent this year, and if no one here
          > has any objections, I'd like to do so.
          >
          > I've got the notes that Naomi took from last Pennsic, and would like to
          > go over them to figure out what we need from the Pennsic staff and what
          > we need from elsewhere.
          >
          > To start - who here is already planning to be at Pennsic next year? And
          > what would you like to do as part of the Games Tent?
          >
          > In Service,
          > Michel

          I'm planning to be there again, hopefully for the full 2 weeks.
          I'll bring my Go equipment, and am willing to teach the class again or
          let someone else do it if they'd rather.
          I'm willing to work more during the first week if that lets us open
          earlier.

          Xavier
        • Kelly Keck
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2012
            I have no idea whether I will be at Pennsic or not, because some personal stuff is very much up in the air, but if I am there, I would definitely like to work a few shifts at the games tent.

            Adriana

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 14, 2012
              Greetings all,
              Other than final Friday, are there any theme days or plans in the
              works?

              Does anyone else want to teach Go/Weiqi? I'm willing to do 3
              sessions, but don't want to crowd out anyone else who wants to.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 18, 2012
                Howdy,

                Nothing has been put forth yet, but I'm open to suggestions.

                Right now we need to focus a little on classes - we have about two weeks
                before the deadline to get our classes into the site booklet.

                Everyone know what they want to teach?
                Anyone looking for something to teach?
                Anyone already submitted a class or classes?

                - Michel

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 18, 2012
                  On 4/18/2012 12:18 PM, Mike Knauer wrote:
                  > Howdy,
                  >
                  > Nothing has been put forth yet, but I'm open to suggestions.
                  >
                  > Right now we need to focus a little on classes - we have about two weeks
                  > before the deadline to get our classes into the site booklet.
                  >
                  > Everyone know what they want to teach?
                  > Anyone looking for something to teach?
                  > Anyone already submitted a class or classes?

                  I just submitted mine today, since I'll be offline until the 30th.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 18, 2012
                    Xavier - what classes did you submit to teach?

                    I've been running the same things for a couple of years, though they have been popular…..I'll wait to see what others teach, and see if I repeat last year or do something else.  I know I'll be doing the Celtic Hurling game again Tuesday afternoon/evening at 6:00.  Maybe two other things drawn from this list, one on Sunday at 1:00 PM and one on Monday at 1:00 PM.

                    9 Men's Morris
                    Byzantine Chess
                    Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess)
                    Shogi (Japanese Chess)
                    Assaulto
                    Knucklebones/Kugelach/5 Stones
                    (modern Western) Chess at various levels of skill
                    (modern) Backgammon at various levels of skill
                    Rota
                    I don't have written classes for Tafl variants or Go, but there are plenty others who teach those.

                    Anyone want to run a tourney again?  If so, type, game, etc?  Prizes?  We should put the tourney in with the classes so it's in the book too.

                    Naomi, do I remember correctly that you have the notes we took last year on how things went, what we need to add, subtract, change, etc.?  If not, Brusten?  Someone else?

                    Galen

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012
                      On 4/18/2012 11:58 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:
                      > Xavier - what classes did you submit to teach?

                      As Michel indicated, I signed up to teach Go 3 times, and
                      multi-player tables once. Off the top of my head, I think I said
                      Friday, Tuesday, Friday for the Go classes. If the tent won't be open
                      until Saturday, then the early class can be moved of course.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 29, 2012
                        I definitely want to try and get the tent open, assuming my minions
                        are available to help open and close.