Re: Class schedule (8/6)

  • Dungeon Damsel, elven
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
      Ok.. Why don't I do Pachisi instead of Tafl then. I'd prefer that,
      anyway.

      --- In pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com, Michel Wolffauer <mike@k...>
      wrote:
      > Thanks Konrad & Irene (& Kiana)!
      >
      > I've updated the schedule with the new info, and finally put my
      classes on
      > there as well.
      >
      > We've currently got two Tafl classes, mine and Irene's. This is
      not a
      > problem - although we may want to space them out some more. I had
      wanted
      > to get at least one of them at the beginning of the week since we
      know it's
      > a popular game at war.
      >
      > I may try and teach Justin's reconstructions of One-and-Thirty and
      Laugh
      > and Lie Down. If so, I'll add them to the schedule tonight.
      >
      > Here is the updated list.
      >
      > - Michel
      >
      > Class name, teacher, date, time, length
      ---
      > [maybe Great Chess] Sat. 14th, 10 AM
      > Modern Chess, Galen MacByrne, Sat. 14th, 1
      PM, 1.5 hr
      > Mancala, Kiana Lindsay, Sat. 14th, 3 PM 2 hr
      > Backgammon, Irene Madhaidin, Sun. 15th, 10 AM, 1 hr
      > Game of Tarot, Michel Wolffauer, Sun. 15th, 1 PM, 1 hr
      > [open] Sun. 15th, 3 PM
      > [open] Mon. 16th, 10 AM
      > Xiang-qi, Galen MacByrne, Mon. 16th, 1 PM, 1.5
      hr
      > Tafl Games - Fitchneal & Tablut, Michel, Mon. 16th, 3 PM, 1 hr
      > [open] Tues. 17th, 10 AM
      > [open] Tues. 17th, 1 PM
      > Tafl, Irene Madhaidin, Tues. 17th, 3 PM, 1 hr
      > [open] Wed. 18th, 10 AM
      > Shogi, Galen MacByrne, Wed. 18th, 1 PM, 1.5
      hr
      > [open] Wed. 18th, 3 PM
      > Game of Tarot, Michel Wolffauer, Thurs. 19th, 10 AM
      > 5 Stones, Galen MacByrne, Thurs. 19th, 1 PM, 1
      hr

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
        This all sounds good. so lets see what slots we have left. I can do
        mot thigns other than card games :) I will bring the 7 sided dice if
        we get energetic enough for astronomical tables.
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
          Say how about Games for Squires?

          One of the traditional expectations was that a young squire would
          learn to play the strategic planning wargame of the Period, Chess.
          This class is intended to help jump start Squires who need more
          familiarity with the strategy games of their period such as Chess, or
          the local Tafl variation for Scandinavians and peoples they "visited"
          a lot, and so on.

          Pick a time when someone who is up for Shogi, GO, et al is around and
          we have most everyone covered.
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
            Well said, Istvan, given that one of the requirements for SCA Knighthood is
            to know how to play chess (no particular kind is mentioned; they are not
            required to play well, just to know the rules).

            Is there a slot that doesn't conflict with any major battles? Early in the
            week? Hard to get squires to come to the game tent for a class when their
            knight requires them to be on the field taking heads.

            As Istvan knows already I'm sure (but the rest of you probably not), our
            Mayor this year, Sir Edward Zifran of Gendy, runs an unbelted challenge in
            NYC every year, where in addition to the combat, people are tested on their
            knowledge of the other knightly virtues. His chess questions are a killer
            if you don't know the rules....hence my choice of classes to teach this year
            (Modern, Chinese and Japanese chess). Next year I'll do Byzantine, and
            maybe a weird one like Forced Chess. Have to find the time to write the
            handouts. :+)

            His Excellency Baron Salamallah mentioned to me a while ago he may come
            teach something esoteric like Atlanbaj as well. He isn't on this list, as
            you know. He'll add the class on site, so, Michel, please leave a slot open
            for him.

            Galen

            > From: Stephen Tihor <stihor@...>
            > Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:15:47 -0400
            > To: pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [pennsicgames] Class schedule (8/6)
            >
            > Say how about Games for Squires?
            >
            > One of the traditional expectations was that a young squire would
            > learn to play the strategic planning wargame of the Period, Chess.
            > This class is intended to help jump start Squires who need more
            > familiarity with the strategy games of their period such as Chess, or
            > the local Tafl variation for Scandinavians and peoples they "visited"
            > a lot, and so on.
            >
            > Pick a time when someone who is up for Shogi, GO, et al is around and
            > we have most everyone covered.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Marietta Legates
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
              Can I get on the schedule once I'm actually at Pennsic, as until I'm
              actually there I have no way of knowing what my schedule will actually
              look like?

              -= Marietta =-
              Shire of Caer Adamant

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
                Greetings, Marietta!

                We can add classes at War, Michel is setting and collating the schedule and
                emailing it to me since I'll be onsite first, and can drop it off, as far as
                it gets done by Sunday night, at A&S Point, etc. for inclusion in their
                master schedule there, at the Pennsic Independent for their daily add/drop
                list, etc., Tuesday morning on the 10th. Class slots and times are already
                reserved as "Period Games" on the master A&S schedule, and that's how it'll
                be in the book at site; people will have to check with us, see the add/drop
                list in the Independent, or read the postings on the bulletin board at A&S
                Point.

                My guess, Marietta, is yes, there are still plenty of open slots on the
                schedule, but you'll have to do the add yourself at A&S Point. Check with
                us on your way to A&S PT for the latest update, when you get in - A&S has a
                long delay sometimes between when you do the add and when it gets posted.
                What are you planning on teaching? Is there anything special you need to be
                there for your class, that's not on the list I posted of things in the tent,
                that you're not bringing?

                Michel, I have a small dry-erase board we can write our games classes mini-
                schedule on and leave at the tent so people can see the list. It's a
                donation, a permanent addition to the Pennsic Gaming Tent stuff. Can we add
                it to the trailer for permanent storage out there, Istvan?

                Galen