Re: [pennsicgames] Classes at Pennsic 40

    Message 1 of 27 , May 1 8:20 PM
      BTW, I registered the following classes this afternoon:

      Sunday, Aug. 7th, 1 or 3 PM slot, Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess for Beginners) a 90 minute class (so gaming time included after the lecture/class)
      Monday Aug. 8th, 1 or 3 PM slot, Shogi (Japanese Chess) a 90 minute class (so gaming time included after the lecture/class)
      These two to be held at the Period Gaming Tent

      Tuesday Aug. 9th, 6 PM to 8 PM The Ancient Celtic Game of Hurling (class and scrimmage)
      This one to be held on the Battlefield as usual.

      Galen

      On Apr 27, 2011, at 12:11 AM, James McAdams wrote:

      On 4/10/2011 5:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:
      > Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
      > planning on teaching?

      Do we have an idea when the tent will be open for general gaming?
      I'm considering teaching first week or middle weekend, but would rather
      do it once we're "open".

      Message 2 of 27 , May 10 3:17 PM
        In general I would say our most popular classes have been:

        anything with sex
        anything with tarot
        anything with cards
        anything japanese or mainstream oriental
        Message 3 of 27 , May 10 3:19 PM
          I should be around both weeks, though my lady is only coming peace
          week so I may be somewhat distracted. I think the sign and supplies
          mostly went into A&S storage On my short list is to replace the
          gaming tent boxes and sort through them to identify what additional
          supplies we need.
          Message 4 of 27 , May 10 3:19 PM
            I also want to make a couple of strips of games for local use and for
            the games tent. Naomi's list is good, I have several possible sets
            prototyped in paper form the first Games tent years. But what do
            people think would work?
            Message 5 of 27 , May 10 3:42 PM
              I tried doing that as a class. it worked poorly. Perhaps we
              should work on it as a handout instead.
            • Michael Baron
              Message 6 of 27 , May 10 4:14 PM
                It would work as a meta class, like classes about autocratting, heraldry research, etc. It doesn't work as an active class because outside morris variants in roman influenced culture, tafl variants in viking influenced culture, & cetera, if you put two random medieval people together and expected them to have a contest a difficult time would be had settling on a game, especially if limited to those familiar enough to be documented to that place and time period.

                I think perhaps if someone wanted to sit and research one on one with people (like the heralds do for names), it might be more successful and rewarding for the parties involved.

                I should do more research on who played what when and where.

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T