Re: [pennsicgames] Classes at Pennsic 40

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011
      On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

      Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
      planning on teaching?

      We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
      selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
      tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

      Brusten,___

      Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

      Might I suggest staff do a quick total head count every hour at ten minutes after the hour (to catch those late to classes) and a total # of class attendees for each class and write that number down in a log book at the tent, and thus we have some numbers to show down the line, rather than soft non-stats of, "There were a bunch of people in this year....." We don't have to release the info, just keep it till we need it.  Someone can take the book home and transcribe the #'s later after Pennsic and upload the file to the Yahoo site.

      Would be good for us to have it to prove that we need more chairs, more tables, bigger tent, etc. in future too.  And teachers will have documentation of how many took a class last year, we could keep this in a simple spreadsheet file on the group site so teachers could go look for the numbers from previous years (so, "Hmm.....5 for advanced 9 Men's Morris last year, I shouldn't need many more than 10 copies of my class notes this year for the same class....38 people for Tarot?  Note to self, bring more handouts and Tarot decks! "  Etc.)  Whatcha all think?

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 28, 2011
        On 4/27/2011 6:42 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:
        On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

        We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
        selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
        tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

        Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

            I've never been involved in Pennsic staff, but I read the original comment from the opposite perspective.  We need to keep showing that 600 square feet is better used as "Gaming Tent" than as "generic A&S tent #16".

             To which - I've signed up to teach Go 3 times, and a class on El Mundo.

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 28, 2011
          I will at least do Shogi (Japanese Chess) and Hurling then.  Shogi at the Gaming tent, Celtic Hurling on the battlefield after the tent closes some day or days.  Maybe also Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) at the tent.

          Good news on the Shogi front - I think I'll have a decently priced Shogi set for sale this year, looks like one of my suppliers got a line on them.  Don't even have a pic yet of them, but there's two different items, one with a wooden board and I think plastic punt-shaped pieces (I THINK it's much like the set I've been using to teach with for years that I couldn't get for less than 40.00 retail - you may have seen it at the tent, I prefered using it to the hand-made wood-burned ones from Baron Salaamallah that were all I could get at a decent price point for years) will be $35.00, one for $45.00 (board that has drawers for pieces).  Not sure yet if they'll have the international symbols or the Japanese symbols - but I have labels to cut out and stick over them till you learn the symbols.  Maybe I'll sell the labels separately now.

          Hmm....Anyone remember how many people took a Shogi class before, when it was offered?  I recall teaching it once, I had 10 sets of handouts and more people than that there taking the class.  I think someone else also taught the class other times?

          Also, I probably will have limited numbers of all Shogi sets for sale there this year, if anyone on this list wants to pre-order and reserve one (at a small discount off the retail price for ordering in advance) please let me know off-list.  Otherwise I certainly won't have many in stock, and several of the people on this list (as well as other people) have asked me for such an item for years.

          Galen

          On Apr 29, 2011, at 12:33 AM, James McAdams wrote:

          On 4/27/2011 6:42 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:

          On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

          We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
          selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
          tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

          Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

              I've never been involved in Pennsic staff, but I read the original comment from the opposite perspective.  We need to keep showing that 600 square feet is better used as "Gaming Tent" than as "generic A&S tent #16".

               To which - I've signed up to teach Go 3 times, and a class on El Mundo.

        • Dale Niederhauser
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 29, 2011
            Greetings,

            I just signed up to teach Poch a couple of times.
            --
            Meister Konrad Mailander, Hauptmann der Rotenkompanie
            Apprentice to Master Brusten de Bearsul OP, OL(Gaming)
            Message 5 of 27 , May 1, 2011
              BTW, I registered the following classes this afternoon:

              Sunday, Aug. 7th, 1 or 3 PM slot, Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess for Beginners) a 90 minute class (so gaming time included after the lecture/class)
              Monday Aug. 8th, 1 or 3 PM slot, Shogi (Japanese Chess) a 90 minute class (so gaming time included after the lecture/class)
              These two to be held at the Period Gaming Tent

              Tuesday Aug. 9th, 6 PM to 8 PM The Ancient Celtic Game of Hurling (class and scrimmage)
              This one to be held on the Battlefield as usual.

              Galen

              On Apr 27, 2011, at 12:11 AM, James McAdams wrote:

              On 4/10/2011 5:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:
              > Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
              > planning on teaching?

              Do we have an idea when the tent will be open for general gaming?
              I'm considering teaching first week or middle weekend, but would rather
              do it once we're "open".

              Message 6 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                In general I would say our most popular classes have been:

                anything with sex
                anything with tarot
                anything with cards
                anything japanese or mainstream oriental
                Message 7 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                  I should be around both weeks, though my lady is only coming peace
                  week so I may be somewhat distracted. I think the sign and supplies
                  mostly went into A&S storage On my short list is to replace the
                  gaming tent boxes and sort through them to identify what additional
                  supplies we need.
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                    I also want to make a couple of strips of games for local use and for
                    the games tent. Naomi's list is good, I have several possible sets
                    prototyped in paper form the first Games tent years. But what do
                    people think would work?
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                      I tried doing that as a class. it worked poorly. Perhaps we
                      should work on it as a handout instead.
                    • Michael Baron
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                        It would work as a meta class, like classes about autocratting, heraldry research, etc. It doesn't work as an active class because outside morris variants in roman influenced culture, tafl variants in viking influenced culture, & cetera, if you put two random medieval people together and expected them to have a contest a difficult time would be had settling on a game, especially if limited to those familiar enough to be documented to that place and time period.

                        I think perhaps if someone wanted to sit and research one on one with people (like the heralds do for names), it might be more successful and rewarding for the parties involved.

                        I should do more research on who played what when and where.

                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T