Re: [pennsicgames] Classes at Pennsic 40

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 19, 2011
      I don't need it soon after Pennsic.  I can't make Ubercon but I will be at Philcon, and that would be fine.

      -Naomi

      On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Daniel Adler <dadler@...> wrote:

      On Apr 19, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Naomi Hampson wrote:

      I usually teach some card games, but I can teach other things if needed.  In the past I have filled in some of the holes in classes.  This year, I am coming late to Pennsic, and leaving early (although I'm not sure yet how early).  This year, I am also running a history display, so I won't be able to commit as much time to the tent as I have in the past.  I will be at Pennsic and available Sunday and Monday of war week, but I cannot commit to any other days this far out.

      Last year I made up 2- 8' table cloths with game boards printed on them. One table cloth had fitchneal, alquerques, fox and geese and 9-men's morris, with rules. The other had regular backgammon, 4-player backgammon, and 7-player backgammon.  I can bring these with me to Pennsic if you want them again. If someone else can get them back to me sometime after Pennsic, I can leave them when I go home, if I have to leave before the tent closes.

      Naomi - how soon after Pennsic will you need them?  I can bring them to Ubercon or Philcon if I don't get out to your area before then?

      Also Brusten- we found that last year some of the classes held in the games tent did not really work in the tent.  One class on Japanese Games really needed to be held on the battlefield, or somewhere else with space for field games, rather than tables for board and card games.

      I do plan to run one or two Hurling (Celtic field hockey) classes/games on the battlefield as usual, but they are generally held later in the day, 5 or 6 PM or so.

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 26, 2011
        On 4/10/2011 5:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:
        > Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
        > planning on teaching?

        Do we have an idea when the tent will be open for general gaming?
        I'm considering teaching first week or middle weekend, but would rather
        do it once we're "open".

        Xavier
      • Pat Smith
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011
          The Gaming tent is supposed to be open the same days as Pennsic U; that is, from Wednesday of Peace week until the end of War week.  It may have to be closed for parts of that time, if there are not enough volunteers to keep it staffed, but hopefully it will be open the full time.

          Brusten

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011

            That's new.  I don't think we've ever been opened for first week, though a class or two has been held there before we opened.

             - Michel

          • patsmith
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011
              True,officially. The last couple of years I have put a
              limited selection of games out the first week, with written
              instructions left when no one could be there to watch
              things, and people have been coming in and playing. When
              multiple copies of the rules were left, people tended to
              take copies with them when they left, but I lost very few of
              the games and game pieces, and there was always at least one
              copy of the rules left when I got back to check. I generally
              was in the tent for 2 or 3 hours a day, first week.

              Brusten

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011
                On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

                Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
                planning on teaching?

                We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
                selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
                tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

                Brusten,___

                Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

                Might I suggest staff do a quick total head count every hour at ten minutes after the hour (to catch those late to classes) and a total # of class attendees for each class and write that number down in a log book at the tent, and thus we have some numbers to show down the line, rather than soft non-stats of, "There were a bunch of people in this year....." We don't have to release the info, just keep it till we need it.  Someone can take the book home and transcribe the #'s later after Pennsic and upload the file to the Yahoo site.

                Would be good for us to have it to prove that we need more chairs, more tables, bigger tent, etc. in future too.  And teachers will have documentation of how many took a class last year, we could keep this in a simple spreadsheet file on the group site so teachers could go look for the numbers from previous years (so, "Hmm.....5 for advanced 9 Men's Morris last year, I shouldn't need many more than 10 copies of my class notes this year for the same class....38 people for Tarot?  Note to self, bring more handouts and Tarot decks! "  Etc.)  Whatcha all think?

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 28, 2011
                  On 4/27/2011 6:42 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:
                  On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

                  We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
                  selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
                  tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

                  Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

                      I've never been involved in Pennsic staff, but I read the original comment from the opposite perspective.  We need to keep showing that 600 square feet is better used as "Gaming Tent" than as "generic A&S tent #16".

                       To which - I've signed up to teach Go 3 times, and a class on El Mundo.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 28, 2011
                    I will at least do Shogi (Japanese Chess) and Hurling then.  Shogi at the Gaming tent, Celtic Hurling on the battlefield after the tent closes some day or days.  Maybe also Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) at the tent.

                    Good news on the Shogi front - I think I'll have a decently priced Shogi set for sale this year, looks like one of my suppliers got a line on them.  Don't even have a pic yet of them, but there's two different items, one with a wooden board and I think plastic punt-shaped pieces (I THINK it's much like the set I've been using to teach with for years that I couldn't get for less than 40.00 retail - you may have seen it at the tent, I prefered using it to the hand-made wood-burned ones from Baron Salaamallah that were all I could get at a decent price point for years) will be $35.00, one for $45.00 (board that has drawers for pieces).  Not sure yet if they'll have the international symbols or the Japanese symbols - but I have labels to cut out and stick over them till you learn the symbols.  Maybe I'll sell the labels separately now.

                    Hmm....Anyone remember how many people took a Shogi class before, when it was offered?  I recall teaching it once, I had 10 sets of handouts and more people than that there taking the class.  I think someone else also taught the class other times?

                    Also, I probably will have limited numbers of all Shogi sets for sale there this year, if anyone on this list wants to pre-order and reserve one (at a small discount off the retail price for ordering in advance) please let me know off-list.  Otherwise I certainly won't have many in stock, and several of the people on this list (as well as other people) have asked me for such an item for years.

                    Galen

                    On Apr 29, 2011, at 12:33 AM, James McAdams wrote:

                    On 4/27/2011 6:42 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:

                    On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

                    We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
                    selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
                    tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

                    Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

                        I've never been involved in Pennsic staff, but I read the original comment from the opposite perspective.  We need to keep showing that 600 square feet is better used as "Gaming Tent" than as "generic A&S tent #16".

                         To which - I've signed up to teach Go 3 times, and a class on El Mundo.

                  • Dale Niederhauser
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 29, 2011
                      Greetings,

                      I just signed up to teach Poch a couple of times.
                      --
                      Meister Konrad Mailander, Hauptmann der Rotenkompanie
                      Apprentice to Master Brusten de Bearsul OP, OL(Gaming)
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 1 8:20 PM
                        BTW, I registered the following classes this afternoon:

                        Sunday, Aug. 7th, 1 or 3 PM slot, Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess for Beginners) a 90 minute class (so gaming time included after the lecture/class)
                        Monday Aug. 8th, 1 or 3 PM slot, Shogi (Japanese Chess) a 90 minute class (so gaming time included after the lecture/class)
                        These two to be held at the Period Gaming Tent

                        Tuesday Aug. 9th, 6 PM to 8 PM The Ancient Celtic Game of Hurling (class and scrimmage)
                        This one to be held on the Battlefield as usual.

                        Galen

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 10 3:17 PM
                          In general I would say our most popular classes have been:

                          anything with sex
                          anything with tarot
                          anything with cards
                          anything japanese or mainstream oriental
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 10 3:19 PM
                            I should be around both weeks, though my lady is only coming peace
                            week so I may be somewhat distracted. I think the sign and supplies
                            mostly went into A&S storage On my short list is to replace the
                            gaming tent boxes and sort through them to identify what additional
                            supplies we need.
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 10 3:19 PM
                              I also want to make a couple of strips of games for local use and for
                              the games tent. Naomi's list is good, I have several possible sets
                              prototyped in paper form the first Games tent years. But what do
                              people think would work?
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 10 3:42 PM
                                I tried doing that as a class. it worked poorly. Perhaps we
                                should work on it as a handout instead.
                              • Michael Baron
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 10 4:14 PM
                                  It would work as a meta class, like classes about autocratting, heraldry research, etc. It doesn't work as an active class because outside morris variants in roman influenced culture, tafl variants in viking influenced culture, & cetera, if you put two random medieval people together and expected them to have a contest a difficult time would be had settling on a game, especially if limited to those familiar enough to be documented to that place and time period.

                                  I think perhaps if someone wanted to sit and research one on one with people (like the heralds do for names), it might be more successful and rewarding for the parties involved.

                                  I should do more research on who played what when and where.

                                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T