Re: [pennsicgames] Class schedule (8/6)

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
      We're filling out the schedule nicely. Does anyone want to put in class
      sizes or age limits? Note Dame Catriona's new class policies this year:

      New Class Policies
      There are several new class policies for Pennsic 33:

      1. Children¹s classes will no longer be held in private camps.
      This is an absolute, with no exceptions. Every child¹s class will be held in
      an A&S tent or at Children¹s Point. Martial or Archery classes will be held
      at the appropriate places designated by the Marshals or teachers. This
      policy is for the well-being and safety of the children.
      2. A&S tents will no longer be available for any private Individual or
      Household parties in the evenings.
      This policy has become necessary due to misuse of the facilities by some
      people in prior years. Kingdom Courts, Meetings, Classes and Vigils can
      still scheduled.
      3. There will be no signup for classes. Classes will be entirely done on a
      first-come, first-served basis.
      After 8 years of doing prior signup for classes, a new idea is being tested.
      This will be easier for the students, who no longer have to get up at
      0-dark-thirty to stand in line in the rain or the heat, or miss classes due
      to the afternoon sign-up.

      This will also make life easier for the teachers. They will no longer have
      to pick up class lists at A&S Point prior to their class. They will no
      longer be obligated to lead students to private camps. However, they will be
      obligated to write out DETAILED DIRECTIONS to the camp where the class is
      being held once they arrive on site. This can be done when the teachers
      check-in at A&S Point.

      The procedure for attending a class will be simple. Just line up outside the
      A&S tent that the class will be held in prior to the class. If the class is
      being held in a private camp, the students must get directions at A&S Point.

      Please remember that this is an experiment. It is the first time that this
      has been tried. There will probably be some frustrations for a few students
      or teachers, but we believe that this will be a welcome idea for the great
      majority.

      4. Class size limits
      The teachers will be allowed to limit the number of handouts or kits
      available. However, they will be strongly encouraged to take any extra
      students waiting for their class as auditors, unless this is a safety issue.
      If this is the case, please use the Special Needs box of the form to note
      the maximum number of auditors you are willing to take. If there is a real
      potential safety problem, please note "no auditors allowed", along with an
      explanation of your concerns.

      Safety issues can be anything from a danger of spilled molten metal
      (forging) to spilled ink (scribes) or beads (beaders/costumers) or someone
      being bumped. We are not trying to be ridiculous in asking teachers to open
      up classes to unlimited students that have a REAL issue. Please understand
      that this exception will apply to hands-on and intensive classes. If you
      feel that there are extentuating circumstances for your particular class
      (i.e.:safety issues, etc.) please make notes in the comments section of the
      form or email us directly. Either Mistress Chai'usun or Dame Catriona will
      respond to you.

      Galen

    • Dungeon Damsel, elven
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
        Ok.. Why don't I do Pachisi instead of Tafl then. I'd prefer that,
        anyway.

        --- In pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com, Michel Wolffauer <mike@k...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
          This all sounds good. so lets see what slots we have left. I can do
          mot thigns other than card games :) I will bring the 7 sided dice if
          we get energetic enough for astronomical tables.
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
            Say how about Games for Squires?

            One of the traditional expectations was that a young squire would
            learn to play the strategic planning wargame of the Period, Chess.
            This class is intended to help jump start Squires who need more
            familiarity with the strategy games of their period such as Chess, or
            the local Tafl variation for Scandinavians and peoples they "visited"
            a lot, and so on.

            Pick a time when someone who is up for Shogi, GO, et al is around and
            we have most everyone covered.
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
              Well said, Istvan, given that one of the requirements for SCA Knighthood is
              to know how to play chess (no particular kind is mentioned; they are not
              required to play well, just to know the rules).

              Is there a slot that doesn't conflict with any major battles? Early in the
              week? Hard to get squires to come to the game tent for a class when their
              knight requires them to be on the field taking heads.

              As Istvan knows already I'm sure (but the rest of you probably not), our
              Mayor this year, Sir Edward Zifran of Gendy, runs an unbelted challenge in
              NYC every year, where in addition to the combat, people are tested on their
              knowledge of the other knightly virtues. His chess questions are a killer
              if you don't know the rules....hence my choice of classes to teach this year
              (Modern, Chinese and Japanese chess). Next year I'll do Byzantine, and
              maybe a weird one like Forced Chess. Have to find the time to write the
              handouts. :+)

              His Excellency Baron Salamallah mentioned to me a while ago he may come
              teach something esoteric like Atlanbaj as well. He isn't on this list, as
              you know. He'll add the class on site, so, Michel, please leave a slot open
              for him.

              Galen

              > From: Stephen Tihor <stihor@...>
              > Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:15:47 -0400
              > To: pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [pennsicgames] Class schedule (8/6)
              >
              > Say how about Games for Squires?
              >
              > One of the traditional expectations was that a young squire would
              > learn to play the strategic planning wargame of the Period, Chess.
              > This class is intended to help jump start Squires who need more
              > familiarity with the strategy games of their period such as Chess, or
              > the local Tafl variation for Scandinavians and peoples they "visited"
              > a lot, and so on.
              >
              > Pick a time when someone who is up for Shogi, GO, et al is around and
              > we have most everyone covered.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Marietta Legates
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
                Can I get on the schedule once I'm actually at Pennsic, as until I'm
                actually there I have no way of knowing what my schedule will actually
                look like?

                -= Marietta =-
                Shire of Caer Adamant

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
                  Greetings, Marietta!

                  We can add classes at War, Michel is setting and collating the schedule and
                  emailing it to me since I'll be onsite first, and can drop it off, as far as
                  it gets done by Sunday night, at A&S Point, etc. for inclusion in their
                  master schedule there, at the Pennsic Independent for their daily add/drop
                  list, etc., Tuesday morning on the 10th. Class slots and times are already
                  reserved as "Period Games" on the master A&S schedule, and that's how it'll
                  be in the book at site; people will have to check with us, see the add/drop
                  list in the Independent, or read the postings on the bulletin board at A&S
                  Point.

                  My guess, Marietta, is yes, there are still plenty of open slots on the
                  schedule, but you'll have to do the add yourself at A&S Point. Check with
                  us on your way to A&S PT for the latest update, when you get in - A&S has a
                  long delay sometimes between when you do the add and when it gets posted.
                  What are you planning on teaching? Is there anything special you need to be
                  there for your class, that's not on the list I posted of things in the tent,
                  that you're not bringing?

                  Michel, I have a small dry-erase board we can write our games classes mini-
                  schedule on and leave at the tent so people can see the list. It's a
                  donation, a permanent addition to the Pennsic Gaming Tent stuff. Can we add
                  it to the trailer for permanent storage out there, Istvan?

                  Galen