Re: [pennsicgames] Classes at Pennsic 40

  • Jane & Mark Waks
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 10, 2011
      On 4/10/2011 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:
      > Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
      > planning on teaching?
      >
      > We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
      > selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
      > tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

      Hmm. Fair point, and I may as well start getting that part of my life
      back in order again. How should we go about signing up for classes in
      the gaming track?

      -- Justin
    • Pat Smith
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 10, 2011
        To sign up to teach games, go to the Pennsic U teacher sign-up page and be sure to specify the class category as "Leisure - Gaming" from the drop-down box.

         http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn40/AANDS/PENNU/univform.html

        The policies etc for teachers and classes are at:

        http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn40/AANDS/PENNU/

        which it's probably worth reading even if you are an experienced teacher, just to see how they have adjusted the rules this year.

        If you want to volunteer to help at the games tent when we don't have classes scheduled (Please Please Please Volunteer!!!) either send an email to me at brusten@..., or drop a note to this list.  Unfortunately, Mike is unable to attend Pennsic this year, and I volunteered to coordinate things in his place.

        Brusten

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 11, 2011
          Don't forget that the classes are only one of several things that the
          Games Tent is for. Even without them we provide a place for people to
          learn and play period games throughout war week.

          - Michel

          On 4/10/2011 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:
          > Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
          > planning on teaching?
          >
          > We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
          > selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
          > tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.
          >
          > Brusten

        • Christine Stewart
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 11, 2011
            Only during war week?  Nothing before?

            Just wondering...

            Cristofana

            On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Mike Knauer <mike@...> wrote:

            Don't forget that the classes are only one of several things that the
            Games Tent is for. Even without them we provide a place for people to
            learn and play period games throughout war week.

            - Michel

            On 4/10/2011 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:
            > Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
            > planning on teaching?
            >
            > We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
            > selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
            > tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.
            >
            > Brusten

            And I am my brother’s keeper,
            And I will fight his fight,
            And speak the word for beast and bird
            Till the world shall set things right.
                                         - Ella Wheeler Wilcox
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 11, 2011
              We've had an occasional class before war week, but usually there have
              not been enough volunteers to keep the tent open that week. I'd love to
              see it open as soon as early as possible, but it needs more staff to do so.

              - Michel

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 16, 2011
                On 4/11/2011 10:21 AM, Mike Knauer wrote:
                > We've had an occasional class before war week, but usually there have
                > not been enough volunteers to keep the tent open that week. I'd love to
                > see it open as soon as early as possible, but it needs more staff to do so.

                The current plans are for me to do land grab, and I'm willing to
                man the tent for a day during the first week (or a couple of
                half-days). I'm also going to teach Go again, and unless someone else
                is doing it I'll teach a class on El Mundo (4-player backgammon).

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 19, 2011
                  I usually teach some card games, but I can teach other things if needed.  In the past I have filled in some of the holes in classes.  This year, I am coming late to Pennsic, and leaving early (although I'm not sure yet how early).  This year, I am also running a history display, so I won't be able to commit as much time to the tent as I have in the past.  I will be at Pennsic and available Sunday and Monday of war week, but I cannot commit to any other days this far out.
                  Last year I made up 2- 8' table cloths with game boards printed on them. One table cloth had fitchneal, alquerques, fox and geese and 9-men's morris, with rules. The other had regular backgammon, 4-player backgammon, and 7-player backgammon.  I can bring these with me to Pennsic if you want them again. If someone else can get them back to me sometime after Pennsic, I can leave them when I go home, if I have to leave before the tent closes.
                  Also Brusten- we found that last year some of the classes held in the games tent did not really work in the tent.  One class on Japanese Games really needed to be held on the battlefield, or somewhere else with space for field games, rather than tables for board and card games.

                  -Naomi

                  On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith <brusten@...> wrote:

                  Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
                  planning on teaching?

                  We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
                  selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
                  tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

                  Brusten

                • Mike Baron
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 19, 2011
                    I can teach some table games like morris, rota, tafl.  I plan on being there the entire two weeks.  How many classes are we talking about doing per day, and how do we want to break it up?
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 19, 2011
                      We generally have had 3 slots a day, 10 AM, 1 PM, and 3 PM.  That gives some time in between classes, which are usually about an hour in length, so things can go longer, extra games can be played, and set-up/clean-up can be done in between, before, and/or after.  Friday of War Week (the last day most things are generally open) has for the past several years been a Go day - ie, all Go classes, pick-up games, tourney, what have you.

                      My medium-sized dry-erase board that we've posted classes on at the tent for years, I'll bring that too if I have it here, tho I think that went into A&S storage as well.  Might need markers for it, unless they were packed up with the tent supplies last year.  I don't have the markers here at home.

                      Galen

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 19, 2011
                        On Apr 19, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Naomi Hampson wrote:

[...]

                        Naomi - how soon after Pennsic will you need them?  I can bring them to Ubercon or Philcon if I don't get out to your area before then?

                        Also Brusten- we found that last year some of the classes held in the games tent did not really work in the tent.  One class on Japanese Games really needed to be held on the battlefield, or somewhere else with space for field games, rather than tables for board and card games.

                        I do plan to run one or two Hurling (Celtic field hockey) classes/games on the battlefield as usual, but they are generally held later in the day, 5 or 6 PM or so.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 26, 2011
                            On 4/10/2011 5:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:
                            > Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
                            > planning on teaching?

                            Do we have an idea when the tent will be open for general gaming?
                            I'm considering teaching first week or middle weekend, but would rather
                            do it once we're "open".

                            Xavier
                          • Pat Smith
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011
                              The Gaming tent is supposed to be open the same days as Pennsic U; that is, from Wednesday of Peace week until the end of War week.  It may have to be closed for parts of that time, if there are not enough volunteers to keep it staffed, but hopefully it will be open the full time.

                              Brusten

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011

                                That's new.  I don't think we've ever been opened for first week, though a class or two has been held there before we opened.

                                 - Michel

                              • patsmith
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011
                                  True,officially. The last couple of years I have put a
                                  limited selection of games out the first week, with written
                                  instructions left when no one could be there to watch
                                  things, and people have been coming in and playing. When
                                  multiple copies of the rules were left, people tended to
                                  take copies with them when they left, but I lost very few of
                                  the games and game pieces, and there was always at least one
                                  copy of the rules left when I got back to check. I generally
                                  was in the tent for 2 or 3 hours a day, first week.

                                  Brusten

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 27, 2011
                                    On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

                                    Who is planning on teaching at Pennsic this year, and what are you
                                    planning on teaching?

                                    We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
                                    selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
                                    tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

                                    Brusten,___

                                    Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

                                    Might I suggest staff do a quick total head count every hour at ten minutes after the hour (to catch those late to classes) and a total # of class attendees for each class and write that number down in a log book at the tent, and thus we have some numbers to show down the line, rather than soft non-stats of, "There were a bunch of people in this year....." We don't have to release the info, just keep it till we need it.  Someone can take the book home and transcribe the #'s later after Pennsic and upload the file to the Yahoo site.

                                    Would be good for us to have it to prove that we need more chairs, more tables, bigger tent, etc. in future too.  And teachers will have documentation of how many took a class last year, we could keep this in a simple spreadsheet file on the group site so teachers could go look for the numbers from previous years (so, "Hmm.....5 for advanced 9 Men's Morris last year, I shouldn't need many more than 10 copies of my class notes this year for the same class....38 people for Tarot?  Note to self, bring more handouts and Tarot decks! "  Etc.)  Whatcha all think?

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 28, 2011
                                      On 4/27/2011 6:42 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:
                                      On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

                                      We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
                                      selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
                                      tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

                                      Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

                                          I've never been involved in Pennsic staff, but I read the original comment from the opposite perspective.  We need to keep showing that 600 square feet is better used as "Gaming Tent" than as "generic A&S tent #16".

                                           To which - I've signed up to teach Go 3 times, and a class on El Mundo.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 28, 2011
                                        I will at least do Shogi (Japanese Chess) and Hurling then.  Shogi at the Gaming tent, Celtic Hurling on the battlefield after the tent closes some day or days.  Maybe also Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) at the tent.

                                        Good news on the Shogi front - I think I'll have a decently priced Shogi set for sale this year, looks like one of my suppliers got a line on them.  Don't even have a pic yet of them, but there's two different items, one with a wooden board and I think plastic punt-shaped pieces (I THINK it's much like the set I've been using to teach with for years that I couldn't get for less than 40.00 retail - you may have seen it at the tent, I prefered using it to the hand-made wood-burned ones from Baron Salaamallah that were all I could get at a decent price point for years) will be $35.00, one for $45.00 (board that has drawers for pieces).  Not sure yet if they'll have the international symbols or the Japanese symbols - but I have labels to cut out and stick over them till you learn the symbols.  Maybe I'll sell the labels separately now.

                                        Hmm....Anyone remember how many people took a Shogi class before, when it was offered?  I recall teaching it once, I had 10 sets of handouts and more people than that there taking the class.  I think someone else also taught the class other times?

                                        Also, I probably will have limited numbers of all Shogi sets for sale there this year, if anyone on this list wants to pre-order and reserve one (at a small discount off the retail price for ordering in advance) please let me know off-list.  Otherwise I certainly won't have many in stock, and several of the people on this list (as well as other people) have asked me for such an item for years.

                                        Galen

                                        On Apr 29, 2011, at 12:33 AM, James McAdams wrote:

                                        On 4/27/2011 6:42 PM, Daniel Adler wrote:

                                        On Apr 10, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Pat Smith wrote:

                                        We need to start getting classes registered , and have a good sized
                                        selection of classes available if we want to keep the Pennsic gaming
                                        tent, given the demands for resources on the Pennsic staff.

                                        Hmmm....I'd be tempted to argue the point, that we are very non-demanding on Pennsic staff's budget and human resources, compared to most other places.

                                            I've never been involved in Pennsic staff, but I read the original comment from the opposite perspective.  We need to keep showing that 600 square feet is better used as "Gaming Tent" than as "generic A&S tent #16".

                                             To which - I've signed up to teach Go 3 times, and a class on El Mundo.

                                      • Dale Niederhauser
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 29, 2011
                                          Greetings,

                                          I just signed up to teach Poch a couple of times.
                                          --
                                          Meister Konrad Mailander, Hauptmann der Rotenkompanie
                                          Apprentice to Master Brusten de Bearsul OP, OL(Gaming)
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 1, 2011
                                            BTW, I registered the following classes this afternoon:

                                            Sunday, Aug. 7th, 1 or 3 PM slot, Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess for Beginners) a 90 minute class (so gaming time included after the lecture/class)
                                            Monday Aug. 8th, 1 or 3 PM slot, Shogi (Japanese Chess) a 90 minute class (so gaming time included after the lecture/class)
                                            These two to be held at the Period Gaming Tent

                                            Tuesday Aug. 9th, 6 PM to 8 PM The Ancient Celtic Game of Hurling (class and scrimmage)
                                            This one to be held on the Battlefield as usual.

                                            Galen

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                                              In general I would say our most popular classes have been:

                                              anything with sex
                                              anything with tarot
                                              anything with cards
                                              anything japanese or mainstream oriental
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                                                I should be around both weeks, though my lady is only coming peace
                                                week so I may be somewhat distracted. I think the sign and supplies
                                                mostly went into A&S storage On my short list is to replace the
                                                gaming tent boxes and sort through them to identify what additional
                                                supplies we need.
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                                                  I also want to make a couple of strips of games for local use and for
                                                  the games tent. Naomi's list is good, I have several possible sets
                                                  prototyped in paper form the first Games tent years. But what do
                                                  people think would work?
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                                                    I tried doing that as a class. it worked poorly. Perhaps we
                                                    should work on it as a handout instead.
                                                  • Michael Baron
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 10, 2011
                                                      It would work as a meta class, like classes about autocratting, heraldry research, etc. It doesn't work as an active class because outside morris variants in roman influenced culture, tafl variants in viking influenced culture, & cetera, if you put two random medieval people together and expected them to have a contest a difficult time would be had settling on a game, especially if limited to those familiar enough to be documented to that place and time period.

                                                      I think perhaps if someone wanted to sit and research one on one with people (like the heralds do for names), it might be more successful and rewarding for the parties involved.

                                                      I should do more research on who played what when and where.

                                                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T