Class schedule (8/6)

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
      Thanks Konrad & Irene (& Kiana)!

      I've updated the schedule with the new info, and finally put my classes on
      there as well.

      We've currently got two Tafl classes, mine and Irene's. This is not a
      problem - although we may want to space them out some more. I had wanted
      to get at least one of them at the beginning of the week since we know it's
      a popular game at war.

      I may try and teach Justin's reconstructions of One-and-Thirty and Laugh
      and Lie Down. If so, I'll add them to the schedule tonight.

      Here is the updated list.

      - Michel

      Class name, teacher, date, time, length
      [maybe Great Chess] Sat. 14th, 10 AM
      Modern Chess, Galen MacByrne, Sat. 14th, 1 PM, 1.5 hr
      Mancala, Kiana Lindsay, Sat. 14th, 3 PM 2 hr
      Backgammon, Irene Madhaidin, Sun. 15th, 10 AM, 1 hr
      Game of Tarot, Michel Wolffauer, Sun. 15th, 1 PM, 1 hr
      [open] Sun. 15th, 3 PM
      [open] Mon. 16th, 10 AM
      Xiang-qi, Galen MacByrne, Mon. 16th, 1 PM, 1.5 hr
      Tafl Games - Fitchneal & Tablut, Michel, Mon. 16th, 3 PM, 1 hr
      [open] Tues. 17th, 10 AM
      [open] Tues. 17th, 1 PM
      Tafl, Irene Madhaidin, Tues. 17th, 3 PM, 1 hr
      [open] Wed. 18th, 10 AM
      Shogi, Galen MacByrne, Wed. 18th, 1 PM, 1.5 hr
      [open] Wed. 18th, 3 PM
      Game of Tarot, Michel Wolffauer, Thurs. 19th, 10 AM
      5 Stones, Galen MacByrne, Thurs. 19th, 1 PM, 1 hr
      [open] Thurs. 19th, 3 PM
      [open] Fri. 20th, 10 AM
      [open] Fri. 20th, 1 PM
      [open] Fri. 20th, 3 PM

      Not scheduled yet, but being offered:
      Astronomical Tables
      Great Chess (on 14th, and maybe later)
      Karnoffel

      Classes we'd like to see:
      9 Men's Morris
      Alquerques
      Fox and Geese
      other Chess variants
      One-and-Thirty
      Laugh and Lie Down
      Primero
      or other card games
      Dice games
      etc :)
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
        We're filling out the schedule nicely. Does anyone want to put in class
        sizes or age limits? Note Dame Catriona's new class policies this year:

        New Class Policies
        There are several new class policies for Pennsic 33:

        1. Children¹s classes will no longer be held in private camps.
        This is an absolute, with no exceptions. Every child¹s class will be held in
        an A&S tent or at Children¹s Point. Martial or Archery classes will be held
        at the appropriate places designated by the Marshals or teachers. This
        policy is for the well-being and safety of the children.
        2. A&S tents will no longer be available for any private Individual or
        Household parties in the evenings.
        This policy has become necessary due to misuse of the facilities by some
        people in prior years. Kingdom Courts, Meetings, Classes and Vigils can
        still scheduled.
        3. There will be no signup for classes. Classes will be entirely done on a
        first-come, first-served basis.
        After 8 years of doing prior signup for classes, a new idea is being tested.
        This will be easier for the students, who no longer have to get up at
        0-dark-thirty to stand in line in the rain or the heat, or miss classes due
        to the afternoon sign-up.

        This will also make life easier for the teachers. They will no longer have
        to pick up class lists at A&S Point prior to their class. They will no
        longer be obligated to lead students to private camps. However, they will be
        obligated to write out DETAILED DIRECTIONS to the camp where the class is
        being held once they arrive on site. This can be done when the teachers
        check-in at A&S Point.

        The procedure for attending a class will be simple. Just line up outside the
        A&S tent that the class will be held in prior to the class. If the class is
        being held in a private camp, the students must get directions at A&S Point.

        Please remember that this is an experiment. It is the first time that this
        has been tried. There will probably be some frustrations for a few students
        or teachers, but we believe that this will be a welcome idea for the great
        majority.

        4. Class size limits
        The teachers will be allowed to limit the number of handouts or kits
        available. However, they will be strongly encouraged to take any extra
        students waiting for their class as auditors, unless this is a safety issue.
        If this is the case, please use the Special Needs box of the form to note
        the maximum number of auditors you are willing to take. If there is a real
        potential safety problem, please note "no auditors allowed", along with an
        explanation of your concerns.

        Safety issues can be anything from a danger of spilled molten metal
        (forging) to spilled ink (scribes) or beads (beaders/costumers) or someone
        being bumped. We are not trying to be ridiculous in asking teachers to open
        up classes to unlimited students that have a REAL issue. Please understand
        that this exception will apply to hands-on and intensive classes. If you
        feel that there are extentuating circumstances for your particular class
        (i.e.:safety issues, etc.) please make notes in the comments section of the
        form or email us directly. Either Mistress Chai'usun or Dame Catriona will
        respond to you.

        Galen

      • Dungeon Damsel, elven
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
          Ok.. Why don't I do Pachisi instead of Tafl then. I'd prefer that,
          anyway.

          --- In pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com, Michel Wolffauer <mike@k...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
            This all sounds good. so lets see what slots we have left. I can do
            mot thigns other than card games :) I will bring the 7 sided dice if
            we get energetic enough for astronomical tables.
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
              Say how about Games for Squires?

              One of the traditional expectations was that a young squire would
              learn to play the strategic planning wargame of the Period, Chess.
              This class is intended to help jump start Squires who need more
              familiarity with the strategy games of their period such as Chess, or
              the local Tafl variation for Scandinavians and peoples they "visited"
              a lot, and so on.

              Pick a time when someone who is up for Shogi, GO, et al is around and
              we have most everyone covered.
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
                Well said, Istvan, given that one of the requirements for SCA Knighthood is
                to know how to play chess (no particular kind is mentioned; they are not
                required to play well, just to know the rules).

                Is there a slot that doesn't conflict with any major battles? Early in the
                week? Hard to get squires to come to the game tent for a class when their
                knight requires them to be on the field taking heads.

                As Istvan knows already I'm sure (but the rest of you probably not), our
                Mayor this year, Sir Edward Zifran of Gendy, runs an unbelted challenge in
                NYC every year, where in addition to the combat, people are tested on their
                knowledge of the other knightly virtues. His chess questions are a killer
                if you don't know the rules....hence my choice of classes to teach this year
                (Modern, Chinese and Japanese chess). Next year I'll do Byzantine, and
                maybe a weird one like Forced Chess. Have to find the time to write the
                handouts. :+)

                His Excellency Baron Salamallah mentioned to me a while ago he may come
                teach something esoteric like Atlanbaj as well. He isn't on this list, as
                you know. He'll add the class on site, so, Michel, please leave a slot open
                for him.

                Galen

                > From: Stephen Tihor <stihor@...>
                > Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:15:47 -0400
                > To: pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [pennsicgames] Class schedule (8/6)
                >
                > Say how about Games for Squires?
                >
                > One of the traditional expectations was that a young squire would
                > learn to play the strategic planning wargame of the Period, Chess.
                > This class is intended to help jump start Squires who need more
                > familiarity with the strategy games of their period such as Chess, or
                > the local Tafl variation for Scandinavians and peoples they "visited"
                > a lot, and so on.
                >
                > Pick a time when someone who is up for Shogi, GO, et al is around and
                > we have most everyone covered.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Marietta Legates
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
                  Can I get on the schedule once I'm actually at Pennsic, as until I'm
                  actually there I have no way of knowing what my schedule will actually
                  look like?

                  -= Marietta =-
                  Shire of Caer Adamant

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 7, 2004
                    Greetings, Marietta!

                    We can add classes at War, Michel is setting and collating the schedule and
                    emailing it to me since I'll be onsite first, and can drop it off, as far as
                    it gets done by Sunday night, at A&S Point, etc. for inclusion in their
                    master schedule there, at the Pennsic Independent for their daily add/drop
                    list, etc., Tuesday morning on the 10th. Class slots and times are already
                    reserved as "Period Games" on the master A&S schedule, and that's how it'll
                    be in the book at site; people will have to check with us, see the add/drop
                    list in the Independent, or read the postings on the bulletin board at A&S
                    Point.

                    My guess, Marietta, is yes, there are still plenty of open slots on the
                    schedule, but you'll have to do the add yourself at A&S Point. Check with
                    us on your way to A&S PT for the latest update, when you get in - A&S has a
                    long delay sometimes between when you do the add and when it gets posted.
                    What are you planning on teaching? Is there anything special you need to be
                    there for your class, that's not on the list I posted of things in the tent,
                    that you're not bringing?

                    Michel, I have a small dry-erase board we can write our games classes mini-
                    schedule on and leave at the tent so people can see the list. It's a
                    donation, a permanent addition to the Pennsic Gaming Tent stuff. Can we add
                    it to the trailer for permanent storage out there, Istvan?

                    Galen