Re: [pennsicgames] Four Seasons Chess

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15 6:09 AM
      realmwatching wrote:
      > Where can I purchase a Four Seasons Chess set like the one that was set up at Pennsic?

      The copy we have at Pennsic came from Salaamallah many years ago. Galen
      is carrying Salaamallah's stuff these days but I don't know if he has
      Four Seasons Chess.

      A quick search turned up:
      http://www.hammerdog.com/chaos/chess_pieces.html
      They sell chess pieces in a few different colors from $9 a set (I've
      also seen their pieces available from on-line dealers for about $8.
      You'd have to buy four sets, but then you'd have enough pieces for 2
      Four Seasons sets (one set would use the Kings, and the other would use
      the Queens in place of Kings).

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15 7:42 AM
        Thanks for the good press, Michel! :+)

        On Sep 15, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Mike Knauer wrote:

        > realmwatching wrote:
        > > Where can I purchase a Four Seasons Chess set like the one that was
        > set up at Pennsic?
        >
        > The copy we have at Pennsic came from Salaamallah many years ago.
        > Galen
        > is carrying Salaamallah's stuff these days but I don't know if he has
        > Four Seasons Chess.

        Yes, I do carry 4 Seasons Chess/Chaturanga, as well as everything Baron
        Salaamallah has produced from his book (though I may not have all of
        his games in stock at the moment, I know I have 4 Seasons/Chaturanga).
        He stopped making the sets with the colored plastic regular chess
        pieces that you played with a long time ago, and went to a more period
        look for the pieces, less figurative, which was easier to source and
        less pricey. The board it comes with is uncheckered, 8x8 squares
        silkscreened on cloth. Rules included, of course. I also carry
        Salaamallah's book of Medieval Games for $20.00.

        The fine laminated wooden board you probably played on, was a handmade
        gift to the Period Games Tent several years ago. If you are looking
        for other high-quality commercial boards, I stock them too, from
        several vendors, though I don't have one with a Byzantine Chess board
        on the back, as that one does. Ask me off-list for pics of fine
        chessboards available.

        > A quick search turned up:
        > http://www.hammerdog.com/chaos/chess_pieces.html
        > They sell chess pieces in a few different colors from $9 a set (I've
        > also seen their pieces available from on-line dealers for about $8.
        > You'd have to buy four sets, but then you'd have enough pieces for 2
        > Four Seasons sets (one set would use the Kings, and the other would
        > use
        > the Queens in place of Kings).

        I carry regular plastic Staunton chess set pieces in standard
        club/tournament size (such as those you played with at Pennsic) from
        online vendors for $8.00 for a full set of 32 pieces as well, and a
        vinyl roll-up board available in several colors for another $8.00 (I
        order in bulk as a vendor, and resell them), and have experienced the
        same not-cost-effective-to-stock syndrome that Salaamallah saw, when I
        looked into having red and green sets available - Though they are
        available, it wasn't worth a bulk order, given the amount of 4 Seasons
        sets I currently sell, to make it cost effective to do. They weren't
        willing to break up made sets to send me appropriate pieces, either.
        :+(

        Note that Hammerdog's sets are a set of 16 pieces of one color, plus
        the bag. No board included, though. $8.95.

        If anyone wants one of Salaamallah's current 4 Seasons sets, they are
        $16.00 + sales taxes as/if appropriate + shipping/handling, please
        contact me off-list for sales, or catch me at an event in the
        NY/NJ/PA/NH area - email me off-list for a list of what events I go to.

        Galen Mac Byrne

        Cornwall, NY 12518

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15 5:07 PM
          As I said privately the simplest answer is to get one from Galen.
          IF you are near a real chess shop or find one on line buy a red/green
          set of pieces and a black/white set and a couple of standard roll up
          boards and presto, two sets :)