Re: [pennsicgames] Four Seasons Chess

  • Kelly Keck
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
      That's a good question, I'd be interested in that too, as I had a lot of fun playing that one.  (If there's not an easy spot to purchase one, it shouldn't be too hard to make a board with the requisite number of squares, though getting red and green chess pieces might be tricky (or require paint).)

      Adriana

      On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM, realmwatching <realmwatching@...> wrote:
      Where can I purchase a Four Seasons Chess set like the one that was set up at Pennsic?

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
        realmwatching wrote:
        > Where can I purchase a Four Seasons Chess set like the one that was set up at Pennsic?

        The copy we have at Pennsic came from Salaamallah many years ago. Galen
        is carrying Salaamallah's stuff these days but I don't know if he has
        Four Seasons Chess.

        A quick search turned up:
        http://www.hammerdog.com/chaos/chess_pieces.html
        They sell chess pieces in a few different colors from $9 a set (I've
        also seen their pieces available from on-line dealers for about $8.
        You'd have to buy four sets, but then you'd have enough pieces for 2
        Four Seasons sets (one set would use the Kings, and the other would use
        the Queens in place of Kings).

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
          Thanks for the good press, Michel! :+)

          On Sep 15, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Mike Knauer wrote:

          > realmwatching wrote:
          > > Where can I purchase a Four Seasons Chess set like the one that was
          > set up at Pennsic?
          >
          > The copy we have at Pennsic came from Salaamallah many years ago.
          > Galen
          > is carrying Salaamallah's stuff these days but I don't know if he has
          > Four Seasons Chess.

          Yes, I do carry 4 Seasons Chess/Chaturanga, as well as everything Baron
          Salaamallah has produced from his book (though I may not have all of
          his games in stock at the moment, I know I have 4 Seasons/Chaturanga).
          He stopped making the sets with the colored plastic regular chess
          pieces that you played with a long time ago, and went to a more period
          look for the pieces, less figurative, which was easier to source and
          less pricey. The board it comes with is uncheckered, 8x8 squares
          silkscreened on cloth. Rules included, of course. I also carry
          Salaamallah's book of Medieval Games for $20.00.

          The fine laminated wooden board you probably played on, was a handmade
          gift to the Period Games Tent several years ago. If you are looking
          for other high-quality commercial boards, I stock them too, from
          several vendors, though I don't have one with a Byzantine Chess board
          on the back, as that one does. Ask me off-list for pics of fine
          chessboards available.

          > A quick search turned up:
          > http://www.hammerdog.com/chaos/chess_pieces.html
          > They sell chess pieces in a few different colors from $9 a set (I've
          > also seen their pieces available from on-line dealers for about $8.
          > You'd have to buy four sets, but then you'd have enough pieces for 2
          > Four Seasons sets (one set would use the Kings, and the other would
          > use
          > the Queens in place of Kings).

          I carry regular plastic Staunton chess set pieces in standard
          club/tournament size (such as those you played with at Pennsic) from
          online vendors for $8.00 for a full set of 32 pieces as well, and a
          vinyl roll-up board available in several colors for another $8.00 (I
          order in bulk as a vendor, and resell them), and have experienced the
          same not-cost-effective-to-stock syndrome that Salaamallah saw, when I
          looked into having red and green sets available - Though they are
          available, it wasn't worth a bulk order, given the amount of 4 Seasons
          sets I currently sell, to make it cost effective to do. They weren't
          willing to break up made sets to send me appropriate pieces, either.
          :+(

          Note that Hammerdog's sets are a set of 16 pieces of one color, plus
          the bag. No board included, though. $8.95.

          If anyone wants one of Salaamallah's current 4 Seasons sets, they are
          $16.00 + sales taxes as/if appropriate + shipping/handling, please
          contact me off-list for sales, or catch me at an event in the
          NY/NJ/PA/NH area - email me off-list for a list of what events I go to.

          Galen Mac Byrne

          Cornwall, NY 12518

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
            As I said privately the simplest answer is to get one from Galen.
            IF you are near a real chess shop or find one on line buy a red/green
            set of pieces and a black/white set and a couple of standard roll up
            boards and presto, two sets :)