Four Seasons Chess

  • realmwatching
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2009
      Where can I purchase a Four Seasons Chess set like the one that was set up at Pennsic?
    • Kelly Keck
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
        That's a good question, I'd be interested in that too, as I had a lot of fun playing that one.  (If there's not an easy spot to purchase one, it shouldn't be too hard to make a board with the requisite number of squares, though getting red and green chess pieces might be tricky (or require paint).)

        Adriana

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
          realmwatching wrote:
          > Where can I purchase a Four Seasons Chess set like the one that was set up at Pennsic?

          The copy we have at Pennsic came from Salaamallah many years ago. Galen
          is carrying Salaamallah's stuff these days but I don't know if he has
          Four Seasons Chess.

          A quick search turned up:
          http://www.hammerdog.com/chaos/chess_pieces.html
          They sell chess pieces in a few different colors from $9 a set (I've
          also seen their pieces available from on-line dealers for about $8.
          You'd have to buy four sets, but then you'd have enough pieces for 2
          Four Seasons sets (one set would use the Kings, and the other would use
          the Queens in place of Kings).

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
            Thanks for the good press, Michel! :+)

            On Sep 15, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Mike Knauer wrote:

            > realmwatching wrote:
            > > Where can I purchase a Four Seasons Chess set like the one that was
            > set up at Pennsic?
            >
            > The copy we have at Pennsic came from Salaamallah many years ago.
            > Galen
            > is carrying Salaamallah's stuff these days but I don't know if he has
            > Four Seasons Chess.

            Yes, I do carry 4 Seasons Chess/Chaturanga, as well as everything Baron
            Salaamallah has produced from his book (though I may not have all of
            his games in stock at the moment, I know I have 4 Seasons/Chaturanga).
            He stopped making the sets with the colored plastic regular chess
            pieces that you played with a long time ago, and went to a more period
            look for the pieces, less figurative, which was easier to source and
            less pricey. The board it comes with is uncheckered, 8x8 squares
            silkscreened on cloth. Rules included, of course. I also carry
            Salaamallah's book of Medieval Games for $20.00.

            The fine laminated wooden board you probably played on, was a handmade
            gift to the Period Games Tent several years ago. If you are looking
            for other high-quality commercial boards, I stock them too, from
            several vendors, though I don't have one with a Byzantine Chess board
            on the back, as that one does. Ask me off-list for pics of fine
            chessboards available.

            > A quick search turned up:
            > http://www.hammerdog.com/chaos/chess_pieces.html
            > They sell chess pieces in a few different colors from $9 a set (I've
            > also seen their pieces available from on-line dealers for about $8.
            > You'd have to buy four sets, but then you'd have enough pieces for 2
            > Four Seasons sets (one set would use the Kings, and the other would
            > use
            > the Queens in place of Kings).

            I carry regular plastic Staunton chess set pieces in standard
            club/tournament size (such as those you played with at Pennsic) from
            online vendors for $8.00 for a full set of 32 pieces as well, and a
            vinyl roll-up board available in several colors for another $8.00 (I
            order in bulk as a vendor, and resell them), and have experienced the
            same not-cost-effective-to-stock syndrome that Salaamallah saw, when I
            looked into having red and green sets available - Though they are
            available, it wasn't worth a bulk order, given the amount of 4 Seasons
            sets I currently sell, to make it cost effective to do. They weren't
            willing to break up made sets to send me appropriate pieces, either.
            :+(

            Note that Hammerdog's sets are a set of 16 pieces of one color, plus
            the bag. No board included, though. $8.95.

            If anyone wants one of Salaamallah's current 4 Seasons sets, they are
            $16.00 + sales taxes as/if appropriate + shipping/handling, please
            contact me off-list for sales, or catch me at an event in the
            NY/NJ/PA/NH area - email me off-list for a list of what events I go to.

            Galen Mac Byrne

            Cornwall, NY 12518

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2009
              As I said privately the simplest answer is to get one from Galen.
              IF you are near a real chess shop or find one on line buy a red/green
              set of pieces and a black/white set and a couple of standard roll up
              boards and presto, two sets :)