Re: [pennsicgames] Location Question

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2009
      Naomi Hampson wrote:

      >Also, if you have any comments or suggestions about the tent, feel free to
      >email with them. Now is a great time while some of our brains are still
      >hooked on Pennsic.

      I was expecting there to be fewer people at the Games Tent, and was
      pleasantly surprised that it didn't seem to be the case. The times I
      was there, the number of people playing seemed similar to my memories of
      years past. I spoke with several people who had specifically come to
      the Games Tent to spend time between classes.

      When I was teaching I was glad I didn't have to talk over the
      heavier traffic from being near the camp store. Interestingly, I didn't
      think there was as much golf-cart traffic next to Security and the EMTs
      as there was near Info Point.

      I was thinking about the space issues - IF we are in the same place
      next year, and there's the gap between the Games Tent and Security again
      - could we get a tarp with grommets set on the edges - cover that gap
      with a flat shade and move some tables that way. It might be a cheaper
      alternative, but it relies on that gap existing again.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009

        Tinker wrote:
        > I'd like a larger tent. When I've tried teaching classes - there
        > wasn't always room for people trying to teach and take a class
        > because there were folks using the tables for gaming.
        >
        > Maybe we could talk them into letting us use a regular tent for some
        > of the classes.

        Actually we have one of the larger tents there, many of the class tents
        are 20x20 compared to our 20x30. We usually try to move folks around
        before the classes start so that there are 2-3 empty tables available.
        If that is not enough space for some of the larger classes, we can
        always have those classes scheduled elsewhere (something we've done in
        the past for various reasons).

        Xavier wrote:
        > I was thinking about the space issues - IF we are in the same place
        > next year, and there's the gap between the Games Tent and Security again
        > - could we get a tarp with grommets set on the edges - cover that gap
        > with a flat shade and move some tables that way. It might be a cheaper
        > alternative, but it relies on that gap existing again.

        I believe that the gap will remain if we stay in the same spot. Not
        sure what might be available to cover the space.

        The main issue I noticed was crowding - not so much because of too many
        people, but just not having all four wall available for traffic as in
        our old spot.

        One thought I had was to move the "fence" that was by the road between
        us and security back towards the rear of the tent. That will make that
        corner of the tent more open to folks coming and going (and do a better
        job of keeping folks away from the trailer it was protecting).

        - Michel
      • patsmith
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009

          As one of the people who scheduled classes for Pennsic U, might I note that 1) the games tent for Pennsic 38 was a 20 x 30, the same size as the largest classroom tents in Pennsic U, and 2) there was no problem scheduling gaming classes into another tent besides the Games tent.  We had been specifically requested to put all the games classes into the games tent, as they were scheduled through this list, but if anyone wanted to schedule a class in a regular tent, not the games tent, all they had to do was ask.

          Brusten