Pennsic Classes

    Message 1 of 15 , May 11, 2009
      Greetings
      With only a few days left to register to teach classes at Pennsic and get them in the program, we are trying to get a sense of what "staple games" haven't been offered yet and what the schedule will be.  If you are planning to submit a game, we would appreciate if you could do it sooner rather than later so we can get things organized on our end.  Remember, when you sign up to teach a class to mark the class type as games so we get notified and the class is put in the correct tent.
      Here is what we have so far.  Please let us know if you have submitted a class and it isn't on this list.

      Fanarona - Istvan
      Game of the Goose - Istvan
      Tarot: The Card game - Naomi
      Laugh and Lie Down - Naomi
      Losing Loadum - Michel
      The World - Four player backgammon - Michel
      Gleek - Late Renaissance card game - Michel
      Atlanbaj (Turkish Checkers) - Galen
      Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) - Galen
      Shogi (Japanese Chess) - Galen
      Three Easy Morris Games - Ana

      Thank you very much
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 16 8:10 AM
        Hi.  So who is planning on teaching this year, and what are you teaching?  Also if you have taught regularly in the past and aren't able to teach this year, please let me know.
        I am teaching Tarot, Laugh and Lie Down, and whatever else needs to be taught.

        Other staple that we don't yet have a teacher for are:
        Alquerques, Tafl, Go, 9-Men's Morris, Fox and Geese, Wari, Nard, Game of Goose, and a chess game or two
        Some of these games can be combined and taught in a single class.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 20 11:20 PM
          On 4/16/2010 10:10 AM, Naomi Hampson wrote: Hi.  So who is planning on teaching this year, and what are you teaching?  Also if you have taught regularly in the past and aren't able to teach this year, please let me know.
          I am teaching Tarot, Laugh and Lie Down, and whatever else needs to be taught.

              I'm willing to teach Go/Weiqi again, if no one else is.  Or I can bring the stack of boards/stones for another teacher to use.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 21 9:21 AM
            Teaching Go would be great. Please make sure you submit the class before the end of April.  Here is the link for the teacher registration form.  http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn39/AANDS/PENNU/univform.html

            Thank you very much.
            -Naomi

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11 1:10 PM
              Looks like I will be able to make it to Pennsic this year. It's possible that will change, but I expect I will be there.

              What games need to be taught still?  I generally teach Tarot and Laugh and Lie Down.   I can teach most things, but prefer card games.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11 10:41 PM
                On 4/11/2013 3:10 PM, Naomi Hampson wrote:
                Looks like I will be able to make it to Pennsic this year. It's possible that will change, but I expect I will be there.

                What games need to be taught still?  I generally teach Tarot and Laugh and Lie Down.   I can teach most things, but prefer card games.

                Excellent!  Currently the class schedule is pretty sparse.  Alquerques, Goose, Chess, and Go.   Anything you'd like to teach would be fine, and we have no card games so far.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 11 11:03 PM
                  The cut-off for having classes listed in the Pennsic booklet is next
                  MONDAY, the 15th. If you're interested in teaching a class at Pennsic,
                  please try to get it in by then.

                  As I said in my prior message, there are fairly few classes scheduled at
                  this time. I you want to teach please sign up if you can.

                  Thank you,

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 12 7:06 PM
                      On 4/12/2013 9:26 AM, Daniel Adler wrote:
                      What variant(s) / playing level of Chess and Go are being taught?  I will put in my classes just under the wire, I hope - business and tax stuff to get done first.

                      Galen

                          Currently I'm teaching "Intro to Go", and a class discussing/explaining Old (medieval/Arabic) Chess, New (modern) Chess, and Courier Chess.  That's all I can confirm in those categories so far.

                          "Intro Go" will probably be taught the Friday of first week, and Thursday of war week.  The chess class will (at this point) be on a day nothing else is scheduled.

                      Xavier
                    • timothy Lewis
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 13 5:26 AM
                        I would love to teach go at some point, however I can't commit to specific days at this point.  Also I would love to push for the day of go to be Sunday or Monday of war week.

                        Olrick.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 14 7:47 AM
                          On 4/13/2013 7:26 AM, timothy Lewis wrote:
                          I would love to teach go at some point, however I can't commit to specific days at this point.  Also I would love to push for the day of go to be Sunday or Monday of war week.

                          Olrick.

                              The last day of classes & traditional Day of Go will be Thursday, August 1.  Since no one has specificly requested a class on Sunday the 28th, I'll put the other Day of Go there.  Hopefully you'll be able to join us that day, Olrick.

                              If anyone else wants to teach Go or Japanese related classes, it'd be nice to fill the day.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 14 11:59 AM
                                At this point the schedule is more hole than not.  I put in 3 classes this morning, which brings the total to 7 classes total.  Galen's classes and one other I'm expecting will bring us up past 1-per-day.

                                Right now the schedule is Intro to Go at 10 AM on Sunday and Thursday, ?Galen's classes at 1 on Sun & Mon, and 5 classes that can be run anytime.  If anyone else has classes in mind, please let me know even if you can't get it officially registered.

                                Thanks to everyone for getting this all done early this year.
                                Xavier