Re: [pennsicgames] Classes so far

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2009
      I'll definitely teach "Intro to Go", and will sign up for that
      tomorrow. I'll also do some shifts as general help at the tent.

      I was thinking of organizing the tournament (I took that as a given
      with suggesting it), and thought it would be likely to run similar to
      the normal casual gaming at the tent - just with a card for win/loss at
      the end of the game. But since I haven't heard any feedback I think
      that plan will get shelved for now.

      Xavier

      Naomi Hampson wrote:

      >Xavier:
      >Are you still interested in teaching this year?
      >I have some questions about the tournament. Are you interested in setting
      >up and running the tournament? How many different types of chess would you
      >like to see included? Do you think that formal classes will need to be
      >taught for the chess variant?
      >
      >If anyone else is interested in helping with a possible tournament or
      >helping to run the games tent in general, please let me know. We are still
      >need many more volunteers. We also still need teachers, so if anyone is
      >interested, please register a class at www.pennsicwar.org, and make sure to
      >list class type as "games". The deadline to get classes into the site book
      >has been extended to May 15th.
      >
      >Thank you
      >-Naomi
      >

      >On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 2:43 AM, James McAdams <
      >jmcadams@...> wrote:
      >

      >>I'd like to teach Go/Weiqi again, and take the chance to improve it
      >>somewhat.
      >>
      >>Galen asked about a tournament - I've been thinking about one for a
      >>while, let me know what you think of it.
      >>The idea would be to have several variations of chess available
      >>(different rules, boards, etc). People could stop by any time and play
      >>anyone who's willing. The winners will earn points, with repeated wins
      >>(by opponent and/or variant) worth half or quarter points. At the end
      >>of several days, the scores would be tallied and a winner determined.
      >>
      >>My goals with this are:
      >>to show some of the earlier medieval chess variations
      >>to create a casual tournament that doesn't require people to
      >>invest large time blocks during a busy event,
      >>to encourage people to try different games (and different
      >>opponents) without having a dozen tournaments
      >>
      >>The obvious downsides are that it would be going for several days
      >>(ideally 3 or more), and it doesn't really have the feel of a tournament.
      >>
      >>Any comments or suggestions?
      >>
      >>Xavier

    • Tinker
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
        I'd planned on 2 dys at least may go for 3