Re: [pennsicgames] Classes so far

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2009
      On Apr 22, 2009, at 9:38 PM, Mike Knauer wrote:

      > Greetings!
      >
      > There is about a week left to submit classes. Here is what we
      > have so far:
      >
      > Fanarona - Istvan
      > Game of the Goose - Istvan
      > Tarot: The Card game - Naomi
      > Laugh and Lie Down - Naomi
      > Losing Loadum - Michel
      > The World - Four player backgammon - Michel
      > Gleek - Late Renaissance card game - Michel
      >
      > Galen: You asked if we had any requests. Both Shogi and Xiang-qi have
      > been pretty popular. Atlanbaj is a pretty cool game as well - would be
      > fun to see more of it played.

      Done! All 3 classes submitted to Pennsic University:

      Atlanbaj (Turkish Checkers) (20 sets of handouts) - 1 hour slot
      Shogi (Japanese Chess) (10 sets of handouts) - 90 minute slot
      Xiang-qi (Chinese Chess) (20 sets of handouts) - 90 minute slot

      We're still arranging the schedule ourselves and getting that to them?
      If so, please give me the Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday 1:00 slots as
      usual. - we still have the 10-12, 1-3, and 4-6 slots, right? Or are we
      going to try to get it more tightly scheduled, and put in a fourth slot
      some days?

      Tourneys?

      Cornwall, NY 12518
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2009
        I'd like to teach Go/Weiqi again, and take the chance to improve it
        somewhat.

        Galen asked about a tournament - I've been thinking about one for a
        while, let me know what you think of it.
        The idea would be to have several variations of chess available
        (different rules, boards, etc). People could stop by any time and play
        anyone who's willing. The winners will earn points, with repeated wins
        (by opponent and/or variant) worth half or quarter points. At the end
        of several days, the scores would be tallied and a winner determined.

        My goals with this are:
        to show some of the earlier medieval chess variations
        to create a casual tournament that doesn't require people to
        invest large time blocks during a busy event,
        to encourage people to try different games (and different
        opponents) without having a dozen tournaments

        The obvious downsides are that it would be going for several days
        (ideally 3 or more), and it doesn't really have the feel of a tournament.

        Any comments or suggestions?

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28, 2009
          Xavier:
          Are you still interested in teaching this year?
          I have some questions about the tournament.  Are you interested in setting up and running the tournament?  How many different types of chess would you like to see included?  Do you think that formal classes will need to be taught for the chess variant?

          If anyone else is interested in helping with a possible tournament or helping to run the games tent in general,  please let me know.  We are still need many more volunteers.  We also still need teachers, so if anyone is interested, please register a class at www.pennsicwar.org, and make sure to list class type as "games".  The deadline to get classes into the site book has been extended to May 15th.

          Thank you
          -Naomi

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 28, 2009
            I'll definitely teach "Intro to Go", and will sign up for that
            tomorrow. I'll also do some shifts as general help at the tent.

            I was thinking of organizing the tournament (I took that as a given
            with suggesting it), and thought it would be likely to run similar to
            the normal casual gaming at the tent - just with a card for win/loss at
            the end of the game. But since I haven't heard any feedback I think
            that plan will get shelved for now.

            Xavier

            Naomi Hampson wrote:

            >Xavier:
            >Are you still interested in teaching this year?
            >I have some questions about the tournament. Are you interested in setting
            >up and running the tournament? How many different types of chess would you
            >like to see included? Do you think that formal classes will need to be
            >taught for the chess variant?
            >
            >If anyone else is interested in helping with a possible tournament or
            >helping to run the games tent in general, please let me know. We are still
            >need many more volunteers. We also still need teachers, so if anyone is
            >interested, please register a class at www.pennsicwar.org, and make sure to
            >list class type as "games". The deadline to get classes into the site book
            >has been extended to May 15th.
            >
            >Thank you
            >-Naomi
            >

            >On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 2:43 AM, James McAdams <
            >jmcadams@...> wrote:
            >

            >>I'd like to teach Go/Weiqi again, and take the chance to improve it
            >>somewhat.
            >>
            >>Galen asked about a tournament - I've been thinking about one for a
            >>while, let me know what you think of it.
            >>The idea would be to have several variations of chess available
            >>(different rules, boards, etc). People could stop by any time and play
            >>anyone who's willing. The winners will earn points, with repeated wins
            >>(by opponent and/or variant) worth half or quarter points. At the end
            >>of several days, the scores would be tallied and a winner determined.
            >>
            >>My goals with this are:
            >>to show some of the earlier medieval chess variations
            >>to create a casual tournament that doesn't require people to
            >>invest large time blocks during a busy event,
            >>to encourage people to try different games (and different
            >>opponents) without having a dozen tournaments
            >>
            >>The obvious downsides are that it would be going for several days
            >>(ideally 3 or more), and it doesn't really have the feel of a tournament.
            >>
            >>Any comments or suggestions?
            >>
            >>Xavier

          • Tinker
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
              I'd planned on 2 dys at least may go for 3