Re: [pennsicgames] Re: Post-Pennsic 37 notes

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2008
      Xavier wrote:
      > How are the games/supplies stored overnight, and how much of a
      > problem would it be to pull some parts out during the final packing?

      Most are stored in a bin in the tent, a few are brought back to camp
      each night.

      At the end of war it is pretty easy to separate out the stuff that isn't
      going into storage.

      > I like this idea. If we can get subtle lighting and volunteers,
      > would it be possible to have the tent open evenings? Would anyone be
      > interested in trying this on Wednesday night?

      We usually have decent (but not great) lighting available. Wednesday
      night is tricky with midnight madness going on, but the real issue is
      volunteers. I'd love to get a larger pool of people to work with and
      have manning the tent during the day before thinking too much about
      being open in the evenings.

      - Michel
    • Tinker
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
        And just a FYI..those ubiquitous glass gaming pieces are period
        correct for many games. I've actually started making my own glass
        gaming pieces and sets.

        CLoth boards are period correct as well. I love being able to fold
        up and slap into a bag 30 different games. Or multiple boards to
        teach on. THey are also an inexpensive way to get people interested.
        I give mine away if I see someone really enthused about a game they
        just learned. (I buy linen and cloth napkins at the thrift store for
        pennies apiece and use a sharpie for quick and dirty boards for
        teaching.)

        The only suggestion I have for future Pennsics - have a Gaming
        Tourney. Challenge the Knights to a chess tourney. Challenge the
        Norsemen to a Tafl tourney. We could go on and on with time periods
        and personas. Women vs the Men and so on. Start talking to your
        peerage and royalty at home. I know crafstmen in my household and
        Barony would contribute prizes. Games as prizes are nice - but other
        types of prizes may draw more people in.

        My Barony is starting to get behind the idea of having more games at
        their events (finally)

        I'll volunteer to man the tent one night if we try it.

        Tinker
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
          Tinker wrote:

          >The only suggestion I have for future Pennsics - have a Gaming
          >Tourney. Challenge the Knights to a chess tourney. Challenge the
          >Norsemen to a Tafl tourney.

          What does anyone think about a tournament where the specific rules
          are randomly selected? Pick a variety of rules for chess or tafl, and
          have the players draw a variant before starting.

          Xavier
        • Christine Stewart
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
            Oooh, I love that idea.  So many people only know one way to play a game and this would mix things up a bit.  Of course, you'd have to be careful with certain games since some variations clearly favor one player over the other.  (Or maybe that would be even more fun!)

            I don't really attend Pennsic anymore but if this tournament does happen, I think I might have to make a special trip next year.

            Cristofana

            On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:54 AM, James McAdams <jmcadams@...> wrote:

            Tinker wrote:

            >The only suggestion I have for future Pennsics - have a Gaming
            >Tourney. Challenge the Knights to a chess tourney. Challenge the
            >Norsemen to a Tafl tourney.

            What does anyone think about a tournament where the specific rules
            are randomly selected? Pick a variety of rules for chess or tafl, and
            have the players draw a variant before starting.

            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
            absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson