Re: [pennsicgames] "Period" Settlers of Catan?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
      What's "period appropriate"? You mean, more in line with the generally
      accepted time period of the SCA? Or, a similar game that was actually
      played in period?

      If the second instance, then, no, I can't think of such a game - period
      games weren't usually "that" complicated (though you ever take a look at
      Rithmomachy? Mighty complex....). But if the first, then several variants
      of Settlers are period appropriate; I prefer the Cities and Knights version,
      but there's others, like "Settlers of Canaan", "Settlers of the Stone Age",
      etc. There are websites with lots of more esoteric variants, too, totally
      non-period-appropriate, but too funny not to mention: The Food Stamp
      variant, the Cold War variant, the Strip Settlers variant....(kidding! - I
      think) :+)

      Galen

      > From: "Dungeon Damsel, elven" <erginartesia@...>
      > Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:52:19 +0000
      > To: pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [pennsicgames] "Period" Settlers of Catan?
      >
      > Does anyone know of any 'period' appropriate versions or games
      > similar to Settlers of Catan?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Dungeon Damsel, elven
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
        Food Stamp Variant!!??!! omg... if only 'twer tru.. Since I work at
        the Agency who funds it!

        Well, my motive is that I've been trying to get members of my family
        into this game, and I get no nibbles on my bait. Even buttered
        popcorn won't convince 'em (the real stuff, not the cardboard tasting
        microwave variety). So, out of selfishness and a strong desire to
        get at least some of my money's worth out of the game, I was hoping
        to find Settlers fans at Pennsic... But, I'm not sure Pennsic people
        are into it ... at Pennsic anyway.

        I've never played cities and knights, only the original Settlers game.