Re: [pennsicgames] Re: Post-Pennsic 37 notes

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2008

      >How are the games/supplies stored overnight, and how much of a
      >problem would it be to pull some parts out during the final packing?

      If people are around its not hard.

      >made some simple go boards this year for teaching, and wouldn't have a
      >problem leaving those and stones around during the war, but we shouldn't
      >make extra work for the staff either.
      >
      >> What may work better, is to perhaps schedule a game-playing night, or
      >> even tournaments, at a separate location such as Your Inner Vagabond
      >> Coffeehouse, though there may be a problem with young children playing
      >> at night.
      >
      >I like this idea. If we can get subtle lighting and volunteers,
      >would it be possible to have the tent open evenings? Would anyone be
      >interested in trying this on Wednesday night?

      We tried it one year and had no visitors. No reason not to try it
      again if someone else feels like volunteering to do it.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 26, 2008
        Xavier wrote:
        > How are the games/supplies stored overnight, and how much of a
        > problem would it be to pull some parts out during the final packing?

        Most are stored in a bin in the tent, a few are brought back to camp
        each night.

        At the end of war it is pretty easy to separate out the stuff that isn't
        going into storage.

        > I like this idea. If we can get subtle lighting and volunteers,
        > would it be possible to have the tent open evenings? Would anyone be
        > interested in trying this on Wednesday night?

        We usually have decent (but not great) lighting available. Wednesday
        night is tricky with midnight madness going on, but the real issue is
        volunteers. I'd love to get a larger pool of people to work with and
        have manning the tent during the day before thinking too much about
        being open in the evenings.

        - Michel
      • Tinker
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
          And just a FYI..those ubiquitous glass gaming pieces are period
          correct for many games. I've actually started making my own glass
          gaming pieces and sets.

          CLoth boards are period correct as well. I love being able to fold
          up and slap into a bag 30 different games. Or multiple boards to
          teach on. THey are also an inexpensive way to get people interested.
          I give mine away if I see someone really enthused about a game they
          just learned. (I buy linen and cloth napkins at the thrift store for
          pennies apiece and use a sharpie for quick and dirty boards for
          teaching.)

          The only suggestion I have for future Pennsics - have a Gaming
          Tourney. Challenge the Knights to a chess tourney. Challenge the
          Norsemen to a Tafl tourney. We could go on and on with time periods
          and personas. Women vs the Men and so on. Start talking to your
          peerage and royalty at home. I know crafstmen in my household and
          Barony would contribute prizes. Games as prizes are nice - but other
          types of prizes may draw more people in.

          My Barony is starting to get behind the idea of having more games at
          their events (finally)

          I'll volunteer to man the tent one night if we try it.

          Tinker
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
            Tinker wrote:

            >The only suggestion I have for future Pennsics - have a Gaming
            >Tourney. Challenge the Knights to a chess tourney. Challenge the
            >Norsemen to a Tafl tourney.

            What does anyone think about a tournament where the specific rules
            are randomly selected? Pick a variety of rules for chess or tafl, and
            have the players draw a variant before starting.

            Xavier
          • Christine Stewart
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 9, 2008
              Oooh, I love that idea.  So many people only know one way to play a game and this would mix things up a bit.  Of course, you'd have to be careful with certain games since some variations clearly favor one player over the other.  (Or maybe that would be even more fun!)

              I don't really attend Pennsic anymore but if this tournament does happen, I think I might have to make a special trip next year.

              Cristofana

              On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:54 AM, James McAdams <jmcadams@...> wrote:

              Tinker wrote:

              >The only suggestion I have for future Pennsics - have a Gaming
              >Tourney. Challenge the Knights to a chess tourney. Challenge the
              >Norsemen to a Tafl tourney.

              What does anyone think about a tournament where the specific rules
              are randomly selected? Pick a variety of rules for chess or tafl, and
              have the players draw a variant before starting.

              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
              absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson