251Re: [pennsicgames] Pennsic 42

  • Justin du coeur
    Mar 10, 2013
      On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Daniel Adler <dadler@...> wrote:
      Living Chess Game at Pennsic, always been an idea I wanted to do, whether with fighting pieces or just for show.  I know Carolingia's done a fencing tourney as a chess game several times, I have their rules somewhere.

      Yaas -- we originally got the idea from the Cumberland Faire, a particularly good renfaire down in Rhode Island.  High concept is that each move is essentially provisional: if you make a move that would result in capture, we quickly clear the board and the two "pieces" duel it out.  (Hence the traditional name for the event, "Duello".)  It is not unusual for a capture to fail, which makes gambits rather interesting.

      In some versions, the King gets to pull in a defender from his side, so winning is hard: you not only need to win in the chess sense, you need to attack with a strong enough piece that he can pull off the 1-on-2 kill.

      We usually ran it as a parallel tournament -- a chess tourney and a fencing tourney running simultaneously in the afternoon, with the finalists of those becoming the competing chess masters and kings for the final game.

      Delightfully fun stuff.  If you can't find the rules, and actually care, I can probably put you in touch with Richard de Lacy, who brought the idea from the Faire to Carolingia.  (He's in the Midrealm nowadays, and less active in the SCA, but still comes to Pennsic.)
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic