224Post-Pennsic thoughts/feedback

    Aug 17, 2011
      Greetings,
      I wanted to write and share my thoughts about the games tent this year.

      I taught "Intro to Go" three mornings. On the Friday of first week
      and the Monday of second there were 16-18 attendees both times. On the
      Thursday of second week that fell to 8. Perhaps it's burnout following
      Midnight Madness.

      The chess not-a-tournament (Caissa's Challenge): As a
      pseudo-tournament I don't think it went well. Whether that's due to
      venue, interest, or that we had one strong player dominating quickly and
      decisively; I didn't sense much excitement/interest in the results.
      As a "Come visit the tent - there will be other chess players here"
      day, I think it went quite well. I'd suggest doing something similar
      during the week with chess games in future years.
      Non-modern chess seemed to be played mostly for the novelty
      factor. So having visible sets (Byzantine, Courier, Dice) led to more
      play for those forms.

      Wartime storage of games needs some work - the bead-drawers and
      table-length boards work great, but everything else is stuffed into the
      bins - not the easiest way to find stuff. Some sort of shelving would
      be a great addition.

      Anyhow - those are my observations and thoughts.