106Re: [pennsicgames] Re: Post-Pennsic 37 notes

    Aug 14, 2008
      On Aug 14, 2008, at 4:46 PM, Brian Campbell wrote:

      > This was the first year I've actually stopped in and played games in
      > the period game tent. I
      > stopped by once a year or two ago, and it was so crowded and cramped
      > that I didn't feel
      > like staying, so I'd say that the larger tent was a very good thing.

      This was the first year in a long while that I DIDN'T teach game
      classes while at Pennsic (My merchant space was having sewer problems
      and being worked on pre-Pennsic, I couldn't commit to a class or
      classes before the deadline passed). I will resume next year, now that
      everything is better.

      > > Chess continues to be the most popular game for folks who just stop
      > in,
      > > but we got a few of them playing the other offerings. Go on Friday
      > had
      > > a decent sized group playing or learning all day. I think we should
      > > continue with that in the future.

      I agree there. I will continue to stock Go books and Go problem books,
      go-ban and stones of varying qualities, and bowls for stones. I'm glad
      to see increased interest here. If there's something in Go books or
      equipment anyone wants to buy that you didn't see this year, let me
      know well before Pennsic, and I'll order it in - there are very few
      retailers of quality go equipment. Much of what I bring I order from
      overseas months before Pennsic.

      > I think I'd like it if there were actually some more classes on
      > strategy; classes that go
      > beyond simply teaching the rules of a game. I know that's what
      > interests me about Go, is
      > that it is so deep and there's always so much more to learn. I could
      > probably teach a bit
      > about basic go strategy (I'm around 11k KGS, so not great, but I can
      > give pointers to
      > people in the 18-30k range; I know some people who are closer to 1d
      > who might be able
      > to offer a bit more). Would anyone else be able to teach classes that
      > go deeper into the
      > strategy of chess, draughts, tables, morris, tafl, or alquerques (or
      > any other games; those
      > are the ones off the top of my head that I'd be most interested in
      > learning about)?

      I have written, and offered in the past at both Pennsic and EKU/Schola
      events, classes on more advanced strategy for Backgammon (BG for
      Beginners, It's Not Just Luck, and Make Your Own Luck), Chess (Chess
      for the Lost Non-Beginner, The Royal Game for Common Players), and a
      couple other games. 95% of the time, the people who attend them are
      really looking for an introductory level class (and that is what they
      are most in need of), and I get a sea of blank looks from the attendees
      5 minutes into the class. The other 5% of the time, I get one student,
      or no one shows up (That is usually at smaller events). We had a
      dan-level Go instructor offer a higher level class a couple years ago,
      he had the same 95% experience I mentioned, and ended up teaching a
      simpler class on the spur of the moment. An additional factor, is that
      it is hard to offer much instruction in a one-hour time slot, or to
      retain student interest and attendance for longer classes.

      I generally don't have much time nowadays away from my booth, but I do
      play with people there, and it is certainly possible to get more
      advanced individual instruction from me there, during Pennsic. A few
      people did come play games with me during the day (and some played
      non-medieval games at night on the table outside). Individual
      instruction appears to be the best solution for me here - several
      people I've talked to have the same idea, and do teach hands-on,
      one-on-one classes at Pennsic (and get your minds out of the gutter,
      all of you! :+)...)

      > Also, I'm wondering if it would be possible to make the period game
      > tent a little more,
      > well, period. It feels a bit off to just have cloth boards (or was it
      > paper? I don't recall)

      Both.

      > under plastic, with those ubiquitous colored glass beads in plastic
      > storage containers. I
      > realize that this is probably the cheapest way to get a lot of boards
      > and pieces, and no one
      > wants their nice wooden sets to be damaged in the rain, or stone
      > pieces to be lost by kids,
      > but I'm wondering if it would be possible to go for a slightly more
      > period atmosphere.
      > Someone did bring a nice goban with them on Friday, and I appreciated
      > that; would a few
      > people be able to bring some nicer looking or more period games and
      > pieces with them?

      The problem here, is that the tent's equipment is stored all year out
      at Pennsic in a household's trailer's extra donated space, so any
      quality equipment, tables, pillows, etc. would be most likely
      destroyed. While I do like the idea, I think it will be hard to
      implement with current budgets and storage options (paper boards are
      redrawn every year on new paper).

      What may work better, is to perhaps schedule a game-playing night, or
      even tournaments, at a separate location such as Your Inner Vagabond
      Coffeehouse, though there may be a problem with young children playing
      at night.

      > Anyhow, I'm on this list now, so I'd certainly like to try and help
      > out next year, either
      > teaching classes or just volunteering for shifts. I can teach Go, 9
      > men's morris (or other
      > sized variations), and alquerques (just learned it this war, but it's
      > pretty simple, so I'd feel
      > pretty comfortable teaching it). I know the rules for draughts,
      > Chess, and backgammon
      > (and some other tables variants), but since those are more popular
      > outside the society, I
      > feel like there are likely some people with more experience who would
      > be able to teach
      > them a bit better. Next year (or in the intervening time), I'm going
      > to have to learn some
      > period card games.
      >
      > -- Joris de Tolosa

      Thanks for posting, Joris, and for offering to teach - The Period Game
      Tent can use the help! Don't forget to register your class(es) in
      advance next year with the Pennsic University, to get your nifty
      instructor token to add to your medallion cord.

      YIS,

      Galen Mac Byrne

      Cornwall, NY 12518