105Re: Post-Pennsic 37 notes

  • Brian Campbell
    Aug 14, 2008
      --- In pennsicgames@yahoogroups.com, Mike Knauer <mike@...> wrote:
      > Our larger tent worked out *very* well as far I could tell. Did anyone
      > notice any crowding issues? We always seemed to have space for the
      > classes without needed to bump out folks who were playing other games.
      > Five tables looked like a good number, and I didn't see us run out of
      > chairs (though I would have expected to need more then we had).

      This was the first year I've actually stopped in and played games in the period game tent. I
      stopped by once a year or two ago, and it was so crowded and cramped that I didn't feel
      like staying, so I'd say that the larger tent was a very good thing.

      > Chess continues to be the most popular game for folks who just stop in,
      > but we got a few of them playing the other offerings. Go on Friday had
      > a decent sized group playing or learning all day. I think we should
      > continue with that in the future.

      I definitely appreciated the Go day, though I spent some of it learning a bit about chess
      strategy from a VDK whose name I don't recall.

      I think I'd like it if there were actually some more classes on strategy; classes that go
      beyond simply teaching the rules of a game. I know that's what interests me about Go, is
      that it is so deep and there's always so much more to learn. I could probably teach a bit
      about basic go strategy (I'm around 11k KGS, so not great, but I can give pointers to
      people in the 18-30k range; I know some people who are closer to 1d who might be able
      to offer a bit more). Would anyone else be able to teach classes that go deeper into the
      strategy of chess, draughts, tables, morris, tafl, or alquerques (or any other games; those
      are the ones off the top of my head that I'd be most interested in learning about)?

      Also, I'm wondering if it would be possible to make the period game tent a little more,
      well, period. It feels a bit off to just have cloth boards (or was it paper? I don't recall)
      under plastic, with those ubiquitous colored glass beads in plastic storage containers. I
      realize that this is probably the cheapest way to get a lot of boards and pieces, and no one
      wants their nice wooden sets to be damaged in the rain, or stone pieces to be lost by kids,
      but I'm wondering if it would be possible to go for a slightly more period atmosphere.
      Someone did bring a nice goban with them on Friday, and I appreciated that; would a few
      people be able to bring some nicer looking or more period games and pieces with them?

      Anyhow, I'm on this list now, so I'd certainly like to try and help out next year, either
      teaching classes or just volunteering for shifts. I can teach Go, 9 men's morris (or other
      sized variations), and alquerques (just learned it this war, but it's pretty simple, so I'd feel
      pretty comfortable teaching it). I know the rules for draughts, Chess, and backgammon
      (and some other tables variants), but since those are more popular outside the society, I
      feel like there are likely some people with more experience who would be able to teach
      them a bit better. Next year (or in the intervening time), I'm going to have to learn some
      period card games.

      -- Joris de Tolosa
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic