3953Planing for Upcoming Events and Club Shirts

  • Cale
    Mar 16, 2010
      Hello all.

      This is looking to be the busiest year for our club yet. We're planing on attending several big events this year and have many projects in the works. Two events Brickmagic and Brickworld are quickly approaching and the time for planing these two events is now. We are also looking at getting another round of club shirts made in time for these.

      BrickMagic is a new event for 2010 being held in Raleigh, North Carolina on May 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. BrickMagic is being put together by BrickJournal magazine and its publisher, TwoMorrows Inc. Further details can be found on the BrickMagic website BrickMagic.org. Registration is open, deadline for BrickMagic registration is April 15.

      I'm working on planing our town and train layout for this event. This event is less than two months away and it is important to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. In order to properly plan our train layout there are several things we need to know. Participating members- If you are going and want to contribute to the layout or even if you are not going but want to send a MOC along we need a firm commitment as soon as possible. For buildings I will need dimensions (preferably in base plates or studs) on what you want contribute. If you have locomotives or rolling stock it would be good to know their dimensions in track lengths so we can properly plan yard space. The sooner I know this the easier it will be for me to come up with a track plan.

      Transportation of MOCs. This is likely going to be one of our largest layouts to date so transportation of MOCs and display materials going to be key. We hope to have our own tables for this event so they will need to be transported as well. We have talked about possibly renting a cargo van for this event. We are open for any suggestions as any layout plans will hinge on this.

      As mentioned above we are hopping to have our own tables for this event as previous experience has taught that venue tables can be less than ideal. We will be going with 40x40 inch tables (this corresponds to 4x4 32 stud baseplates) with a pair of tables costing @$40-$45 dollars. For this event we may need at least 24 table for the layout. I'll have more details on this in the near future.

      I have started a thread on the New Forum for the train layout discussion. Please feel free to ask any questions and discuss layout ideas there or you email me  directly.

      Also of note. At Brickworld, BrickFair and LEGO KidsFest year in addition to our train layout we had our own section of tables set aside for general club MOCs. This is some thing that not a lot of other clubs do. I think this helps set us apart and is a great way to promote the club by showcasing some of the amazing talent of our members. Since I'm going to be busy with the train layout planing I will not have time to organize this as well so some one else will need to step up if we want to do this for Brickmagic.

      Brickworld

      Brickworld 2010 will be taking place in Chicago on June 17th through the 20th. Registration is now open on theBrickworld web site .

      If you haven't yet had the opportunity to attend this event I highly recommend it. It has become one of if not the
      premeire LEGO Fan Event in the US and draws some of the most amazing MOCs you are likely to see. Several PennLUG members have made the trip to Chicago in the past and we'll be returning again this year. For those interested in going this year we will be making plans for travel and collaborative displays on the forum here and upcoming meetings. Any information on travel plans, plans for a group display or other important info will be linked to on the New Forum  for easy reference.

      Brickworld 2007 photos

      Brickworld 2008 photos

      Brickworld 2009 photos

      Last year for Brickworld PennLUG contributed a small section to the Common Train Layout. Talk has already begun among the train groups for coordinating this years train displays. The Brickworld organizers are expecting a record turn out this year (possibly close to 1000 attendees). And while we will have the whole hotel to our selves this year space may be at a premium. So if we intend to do any sort of train display wether it be part of the common layout or our own stand alone layout it is important for us to get organized on this as quickly as possible.

      If we want to do a layout the thing I'll need to put together a plan are the same as for Brickmagic. Participating members- If you are going and want to contribute to the layout or even if you are not going but want to send a MOC along we need a firm commitment as soon as possible. For buildings I will need dimensions (preferably in base plates or studs) on what you want contribute. If you have locomotives or rolling stock it would be good to know their dimensions in track lengths so we can properly plan yard space. The sooner I know this the easier it will be for me to come up with a track plan.

      Transportation of MOCs. If we are intending to put together a layout we will need to work out transportation of MOCs and display materials. In previous years several of us have carpooled to the event as it is a 14 hour drive. This has the disadvantage of limiting what we can pack as space is very tight. We will need to come up with a transportation solution for our display if we intend to do one. This could very likely mean renting a van for this event as well. We are open for any suggestions as any layout plans will hinge on this.

      Club member Brian Brister has been looking into this and has posted a thread in the New Forum. Since many of us would like to have these in time for Brickmagic we need to act on this a soon as possible. Please respond with quantity, style(t-shirt, LS tee, hoodie or zip hoodie) and size wanted in the thread in the New Forum or email Brian.

      Cale Leiphart
      PennLUG