Re: Walters' birthday?

  • ken garner
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10 4:33 PM
      yes, Walters was born 11 July 1939, 7 weeks before Peel. His widow Helen and Chris Lycett
      both told me he'd just turned 62 when he died in 2001. A terrible shock. As Lycett wrote
      in his personal tribute at the time, they'd just celebrated the digitising of the peel session
      archive and he seemed to be thriving. Peel phoned me up the night Walters died, clearly
      just working through his address book, and It was clear to me he had to keep talking to
      stop himself sinking further, he was in a very distressed state but keeping it just under
      control. Walters' legacy is that he helped keep the most important music show on BBC
      Radio on air as long as it was, and seized the tide of events as fast as anyone could

      ken