Walters' birthday?

  • Ed Duffy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7 2:48 PM
      Those who've listened to the 8 Top Gears that surfaced last year might
      have hear Peel sign off the 11th. July 1970 show by telling us "it's
      John Walters' birthday today". Peelie even sings a bit of "Happy
      Birthday" as the Top Gear theme fades out. However, consulting
      Wikipedia, I'm told that Walters' birthday is the 16th. May.

      Anyone know who's right? Certainly, Ken's book and the BBC Peel site
      agree that the Son House, Kevin Ayers and East of Eden sessions were
      broadcast on the 11th. July 1970. So is Wikipedia wrong or did Walters
      have two birthdays like the Queen?
    • Eddie Duffy
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7 3:18 PM
        A bit of research and I was able to answer my own question. According to
        the Grauniad's obituary, Walters was born on 11th July 1938, so it looks
        like Wikipedia's wrong and the date of the show is correct.

        http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2001/aug/01/guardianobituaries2

        Wikipedia wrong, eh? Who'd a thunk it?

        Eddie.

        Ed Duffy wrote:

        > Those who've listened to the 8 Top Gears that surfaced last year might
        > have hear Peel sign off the 11th. July 1970 show by telling us "it's
        > John Walters' birthday today". Peelie even sings a bit of "Happy
        > Birthday" as the Top Gear theme fades out. However, consulting
        > Wikipedia, I'm told that Walters' birthday is the 16th. May.
        >
        > Anyone know who's right? Certainly, Ken's book and the BBC Peel site
        > agree that the Son House, Kevin Ayers and East of Eden sessions were
        > broadcast on the 11th. July 1970. So is Wikipedia wrong or did Walters
        > have two birthdays like the Queen?

      • Rob Brewer
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8 2:05 AM
          On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Eddie Duffy
          <eddie.duffy@...> wrote:
          > Wikipedia wrong, eh? Who'd a thunk it?

          I queried the date of birth at the time - it's still there at the
          bottom of the talk page:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:John_Walters_%28broadcaster%29

          Months later another user put in the May 16, 1938 date without
          responding to my quibble.

          --
          Rob Brewer rob@... http://www.rbrwr.org
          "The [central limit theorem] would have been personified by the Greeks
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10 4:33 PM
            yes, Walters was born 11 July 1939, 7 weeks before Peel. His widow Helen and Chris Lycett
            both told me he'd just turned 62 when he died in 2001. A terrible shock. As Lycett wrote
            in his personal tribute at the time, they'd just celebrated the digitising of the peel session
            archive and he seemed to be thriving. Peel phoned me up the night Walters died, clearly
            just working through his address book, and It was clear to me he had to keep talking to
            stop himself sinking further, he was in a very distressed state but keeping it just under
            control. Walters' legacy is that he helped keep the most important music show on BBC
            Radio on air as long as it was, and seized the tide of events as fast as anyone could

            ken