Dubster's Peel tapes blog returns

  • Eddie Duffy
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
      Just noticed that, after a lengthy absence, the John Peel Tape and File
      Project has made a welcome return. And Dubster's put up a cracking oldie
      to start with: a show from 31st December 1975, featuring a complete Ivor
      Cutler session. There's a slightly different URL this time:
      http://johnpeeltapes2.blogspot.com/

      Eddie.
    • Paul Webster
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
        > Just noticed that, after a lengthy absence, the John Peel Tape and File
        > Project has made a welcome return. And Dubster's put up a cracking oldie
        > to start with: a show from 31st December 1975, featuring a complete Ivor
        > Cutler session. There's a slightly different URL this time:
        > http://johnpeeltapes2.blogspot.com/
        Thanks for that.
        The start and end of the show appear to be missing though - or is that a
        problem with my download?

        Starts with last 20 seconds of Toots and the Maytals and finishes with first
        minute of Max Merit and the Meteors

        Paul
      • Kari Banta
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
          Mine's the same, Paul.

          I did enjoy everything in between, though :)

          cheers,
          kari

          On Jan 4, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Paul Webster wrote:

          >> Just noticed that, after a lengthy absence, the John Peel Tape and
          >> File
          >> Project has made a welcome return. And Dubster's put up a cracking
          >> oldie
          >> to start with: a show from 31st December 1975, featuring a
          >> complete Ivor
          >> Cutler session. There's a slightly different URL this time:
          >> http://johnpeeltapes2.blogspot.com/
          > Thanks for that.
          > The start and end of the show appear to be missing though - or is
          > that a
          > problem with my download?
          >
          > Starts with last 20 seconds of Toots and the Maytals and finishes
          > with first
          > minute of Max Merit and the Meteors
          >
          > Paul
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • nwobble
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
            Thats excellent thanks.

            --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Duffy <eddie.duffy@b...> wrote:

            > Just noticed that, after a lengthy absence, the John Peel Tape and
            File
            > Project has made a welcome return. And Dubster's put up a cracking
            oldie
            > to start with: a show from 31st December 1975, featuring a complete
            Ivor
            > Cutler session. There's a slightly different URL this time:
            > http://johnpeeltapes2.blogspot.com/
            >
            > Eddie.

          • Eddie Duffy
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
              Paul Webster wrote:

              >Thanks for that.
              >The start and end of the show appear to be missing though - or is that a
              >problem with my download?
              >
              >Starts with last 20 seconds of Toots and the Maytals and finishes with first
              >minute of Max Merit and the Meteors
              >
              >Paul

              Yes, that's right, it's just a 52-minute extract. The Ivor Cutler
              session does appear to be complete though, based on the way Peel
              introduces the first and last session tracks in the extract. A complete
              session in less than an hour suggests that Peelie's programmes were only
              an hour long back then. Anyone know for sure?

              Eddie.

              P.S. There's now another extract up, from Peelie's last ever Top Gear
              show. Sadly, rapidshare appears to be down right now, so it can't be
              downloaded yet.
            • Paul Webster
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
                > Paul Webster wrote:
                >
                > >Thanks for that.
                > >The start and end of the show appear to be missing though - or is that a
                > >problem with my download?
                > >
                > >Starts with last 20 seconds of Toots and the Maytals and
                > finishes with first
                > >minute of Max Merit and the Meteors
                > >
                > >Paul
                > >

                > Yes, that's right, it's just a 52-minute extract. The Ivor Cutler
                > session does appear to be complete though, based on the way Peel
                > introduces the first and last session tracks in the extract. A complete
                > session in less than an hour suggests that Peelie's programmes were only
                > an hour long back then. Anyone know for sure?
                >
                > Eddie.
                Over in the Ivor Cutler group there is much jubilation (well - a quiet and
                restrained smile at least). Ivor was listed as having a session in October
                75 - but not December.
                The running order is the same at the October listing - but 3 tracks are
                "missing".
                Could this have been a (partial) re-broadcast of the session or perhaps a
                misattribution of dates somewhere or maybe a chunk is missing from the
                middle of the recording.

                At the end of November 1975, John Peel was doing 1 hour (23:00-00:00). He
                moved to that slot in the Autumn. If he had kept it until end of December 75
                .. then the end of this show would have been midnight between 31st December
                and 1st January 1976.
                Given the quoted date of the recording - I was a bit surprised not to hear
                anything about New Year's Eve. There was something early on about making an
                early choice for one of his albums of 1976, which was consistent with this
                being a 1975 recording. I know that we missed the very end and very start of
                the show ... shame ... because they would probably have had some clues.

                Paul
              • Trudi & Neil
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
                  I've been having all sorts of problems downloading via rapidshare. It tells
                  me I've exceeded my down load limit, when I've not used it for days & to
                  wait for a cerain amount of time, after which it says I'm already
                  downloading something!
                  Anyone else having thisproblem?

                  NeilC
                  > > >The start and end of the show appear to be missing though - or is that
                  > > >problem with my download?
                  > > >
                  > > >Starts with last 20 seconds of Toots and the Maytals and
                  > > finishes with first
                  > > >minute of Max Merit and the Meteors
                  > > >
                  > > >Paul
                  > > >

                  > > Yes, that's right, it's just a 52-minute extract. The Ivor Cutler
                  > > session does appear to be complete though, based on the way Peel
                  > > introduces the first and last session tracks in the extract. A complete
                  > > session in less than an hour suggests that Peelie's programmes were only
                  > > an hour long back then. Anyone know for sure?
                  > >
                  > > Eddie.
                  > Over in the Ivor Cutler group there is much jubilation (well - a quiet and
                  > restrained smile at least). Ivor was listed as having a session in October
                  > 75 - but not December.
                  > The running order is the same at the October listing - but 3 tracks are
                  > "missing".
                  > Could this have been a (partial) re-broadcast of the session or perhaps a
                  > misattribution of dates somewhere or maybe a chunk is missing from the
                  > middle of the recording.
                  >
                  > At the end of November 1975, John Peel was doing 1 hour (23:00-00:00). He
                  > moved to that slot in the Autumn. If he had kept it until end of December
                  75
                  > .. then the end of this show would have been midnight between 31st
                  December
                  > and 1st January 1976.
                  > Given the quoted date of the recording - I was a bit surprised not to hear
                  > anything about New Year's Eve. There was something early on about making
                  an
                  > early choice for one of his albums of 1976, which was consistent with this
                  > being a 1975 recording. I know that we missed the very end and very start
                  of
                  > the show ... shame ... because they would probably have had some clues.
                  >
                  > Paul
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Martin Wheatley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
                    >Over in the Ivor Cutler group there is much jubilation (well - a quiet and
                    >restrained smile at least). Ivor was listed as having a session in October
                    >75 - but not December.
                    >The running order is the same at the October listing - but 3 tracks are
                    >"missing".
                    >Could this have been a (partial) re-broadcast of the session or perhaps a
                    >misattribution of dates somewhere or maybe a chunk is missing from the
                    >middle of the recording.

                    The BBC Peel Sessions pages show a session in October but not December so
                    it must be some sort of a repeat. Peel sometimes has done the best
                    sessions of the year
                    running up to the FF

                    martinw
                  • pat183us
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 6, 2006
                      Me too Neil.
                      It's been like it for about the last 3 weeks.
                      Tells you to wait anything upwards of 45 minutes for a download and
                      then when it does reach the download screen tells you that you have
                      downloaded xxxxxxkbs in the last hour which is of course impossible
                      as you've been sitting there waiting for your download to become
                      available!
                      I think they may have changed the way they look at downloaders, I
                      have a BT Broadband account and I suspect they're viewing all BT
                      Broadband downloaders as one person - something to do with proxy
                      servers maybe?
                      Anyway I wrote to The Perfumed Garden guy to ask him if people were
                      reporting the same problems to him but he hasn't replied yet.
                      I think for the time being people should use flurl, megaload or some
                      of the other free upload sites.

                      Pat.

                      --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Trudi & Neil" <teenee@b...> wrote:

                      > I've been having all sorts of problems downloading via rapidshare.
                      It tells
                      > me I've exceeded my down load limit, when I've not used it for days
                      > wait for a cerain amount of time, after which it says I'm already
                      > downloading something!
                      > Anyone else having thisproblem?
                      >
                      > NeilC

                    • Jim Kerslake (uklinux)
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 6, 2006
                        I have never once succeeded in getting anything off rapidshare (apart
                        from loads of useless adverts).

                        It just told me I was already downloading some rather extreme-sounding
                        male pornography..!!
                        (um... no...)

                        Maybe some kind soul might bittorrent the Peel show, if they eventually
                        manage to get it..?

                        -- jim

                      • Kari Banta
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 6, 2006
                          If I can figure out how to use a bittorrent client, I'll gladly share the show! In the meantime, here's a YSI link to download the show. I don't know how many downloads it will allow as the file is 48mb, but it should help a few folks get it (and it can be re-uploaded of course).

                          http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RBU8VSID5SXT3V48V69I9V03Z

                          cheers,

                          kari

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
                            Got it - wonderful! Many thanks.

                            Likewise I will also have a go at sharing it further.

                            -- jim