Re: pedit and moving words

  • Roy van der Woning
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
      > I changed the word moving rules a little. Is this now
      > completely satisfactory [Michael? Roy?].

      Yep, this would be perfect, thanks!

      Roy.
    • omar-@home.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
        I may be alone now. But here goes.

        Your changed rules help alot. I appreciate that you listen. But to use them intuitively (to my Mac/Windows centric mind), I have to turn off "smart selection" - both in pedit and in MagicText. Otherwise buttonsliding a move will drag unexpected (by me) words with the selection (case 3, below). Unfortunately, turning off "smart selection" makes the drag and drop beauty of MagicText much harder to use because trailing spaces are left behind and moved words end up adjacent to words at the moved location without any space between.

        So I would still vote that case 3 (below) have the same result as case 2. In other words, it should only matter what is *in* the selection (highlighted), not what is adjacent.

        Thank you Paul, for your patience on this issue. I spend a great deal of time in my job moving words around until the meaning is "just right." Perhaps your rules work better in a programming envioronment.

        Regards.

        michael walsh

        --------------------------

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
          # So I would still vote that case 3 (below) have the same result as case 2.
          In other words, it should only matter what is *in* the selection
          (highlighted), not what is adjacent.

          Hi Michael:

          Although I am still open to suggestions, this one I disagree with. However,
          I could see a compromise between you and me which could work for both of us.
          By the way, you could use the character instead of the word mover. That would
          work exactly the way you want it. Did you try it? It is designed to move
          EXACTLY the selection.

          Lemme think. Best regards, Paul

          Example: What would this " aaa bb|b | " become after you move "1 word to the
          left"? According to your suggestions, this would end up as a 100% total
          mess. Right? [|...|] denotes the selection.
        • omar-@home.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
            ------------------
            > I could see a compromise between you and me which could work for both of us. By the way, you could use the character instead of the word mover. That would work exactly the way you want it. Did you try it? It is designed to move EXACTLY the selection.

            > Lemme think. Best regards, Paul
            --------------------

            Yes! The character mover seems to behave as I expect. Now if it only it had an option to "move by word" !?!? I am sure your compromise (i.e., solution) will be much more elegant!

            --------------------
            > Example: What would this " aaa bb|b | " become after you move "1 word to the left"? According to your suggestions, this would end up as a 100% total mess. Right? [|...|] denotes the selection.
            --------------------

            You are completely right -- a mess: |b | aaa bb. But it would be *my* fault for selecting a partial word and then using "move by word."

            Regards.

            michael walsh

            <Hi, Peter. Thanks for weighing in; I was beginning to feel very lonely>
          • Peter R Grierson
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
              <snip>

              Although I am still open to suggestions, this one I disagree with. However,
              I could see a compromise between you and me which could work for both of us.

              =====
              I propose a preference for:

              "smart select" without the possibility of moving text adjacent to a
              selection,

              or

              "emacs select" that will select the text immediately adjacent to the
              selection

              "All Accounting is creative."

              Peter R.
            • Paolo Amoroso
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2001
                On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:39:10 -0400 (EDT), Paul Nevai
                <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

                > I changed the word moving rules a little. Is this now completely satisfactory

                These rules are more intuitive.

                Paolo