pdesk and the sound barrier
- Last night while frustrated (who me???) with something else, I decided to
spend a few minutes with peditDesk which now serves the function for me that
a model railroad does for others. ("I'll just tweak one thing here.... and
here.... and-- oh look at that....")
I decided to try processing memo characters 10 at a time instead of one at a
time. After that I tried 100 character segments, then 1000 character
segments. Of course, one GET statement in a high level language is a lot
more instructions at the machine level, so that 1000 must equate to even
more. Whatever, I think I've got perfect success at much more than 1000
times the previous speed, at least for "all-memos at once" export. I know
the whole thing really flies!!! I want to check it out very carefully before
I release it, probably next weekend.
Of course, all that speed is not really needed because our database file
sizes (even the big ones) are relatively small compared to other kinds of
files. But it's just the idea.