pdesk and the sound barrier

  • jesk50@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2001
      Last night while frustrated (who me???) with something else, I decided to
      spend a few minutes with peditDesk which now serves the function for me that
      a model railroad does for others. ("I'll just tweak one thing here.... and
      here.... and-- oh look at that....")

      I decided to try processing memo characters 10 at a time instead of one at a
      time. After that I tried 100 character segments, then 1000 character
      segments. Of course, one GET statement in a high level language is a lot
      more instructions at the machine level, so that 1000 must equate to even
      more. Whatever, I think I've got perfect success at much more than 1000
      times the previous speed, at least for "all-memos at once" export. I know
      the whole thing really flies!!! I want to check it out very carefully before
      I release it, probably next weekend.

      Of course, all that speed is not really needed because our database file
      sizes (even the big ones) are relatively small compared to other kinds of
      files. But it's just the idea.

      Jerry