pedit and "WC"

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2001
      Dear peditors and peditresses:

      I am almost ready to release the new pedit with the newer "WC". I keep my
      fingers crossed that Jennifer will approve it. Now it can show up-to 10
      million chars, and 1 million words and letters each.

      I did the following test. I took a HUGE document [the entire Palm OS version
      3.0 as one single file] and did a unix and pedit32 "WC" job on it.

      pedit32: 3210076 chars 375398 words 111512 lines
      unix: 3210076 chars 375395 words 111512 lines

      It took about 20 mins with pedit32 and about 1/2 sec with unix [Sun].

      I find it an incredible feat that the word count is almost the same [since
      "words" as such are really not defined rigorously as opposed to lines and
      chars]. What can I say? I am absolutely amazed at the incredible power of
      that tiny little Palm "organizer".

      AMB=Paul
    • bill thater
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2001
        On Tue, 6 Feb 2001,Paul Nevai scribbled on the wall in glitter crayon:

        ->I find it an incredible feat that the word count is almost the same [since
        ->"words" as such are really not defined rigorously as opposed to lines and
        ->chars]. What can I say? I am absolutely amazed at the incredible power of
        ->that tiny little Palm "organizer".

        so am i, but i wonder how long before they manage to cram a SPARC processer of
        some type in one?;-)

        --
        Bill Thater Certified ORACLE DBA
        Telergy, Inc. thaterw@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 16, 2001
          Let me brag: both the unix "WC" and pedit give EXACTLY the same stats for
          "Les Miserables" [try it]:

          % wc lesms10.txt
          70761 567643 3263756 lesms10.txt

          It also took about the same time [asymptotically]: unix [Sun] about 0.1 sec
          and pedit about 0.1 hour.
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2001
            Dear Jennifer:

            Please refresh my memory: who was the original primary tester for the
            segmented "WC"? Well, "WC" has been like this all the time and has been
            approved by that primary tester. It ignores headers in MULTISEGMENTED memos,
            i.e., memos with at least 2 segments. If a memo is segmented BUT only with one
            segment, then it counts the header. Please test it. Create a 2 segmented
            memo.

            Next step. If you think that the 1 segmented behavior is a BUG then complain
            LOUD and CLEAR to 2 people: the original primary tester and to me. Maybe I
            will listen. Should I fix it?

            Will the original primary tester listen too? AMB=Paul
          • The White Crow
            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2001
              At 08:36 PM 5/31/2001 -0400, you wrote:
              >Dear Jennifer:
              >
              >Please refresh my memory: who was the original primary tester for the
              >segmented "WC"? Well, "WC" has been like this all the time and has been
              >approved by that primary tester. It ignores headers in MULTISEGMENTED memos,
              >i.e., memos with at least 2 segments. If a memo is segmented BUT only with one
              >segment, then it counts the header. Please test it. Create a 2 segmented
              >memo.

              I know I was one of the primary testers, but not necessarily *the* primary
              testers. And now I remember this stipulation, although I thought you'd
              changed it (or were going to change it) based on my earlier
              recommendations. I only noticed it because I did a word count towards the
              beginning of the memo this time, but I've been using it without figuring
              the header in.

              >Next step. If you think that the 1 segmented behavior is a BUG then complain
              >LOUD and CLEAR to 2 people: the original primary tester and to me. Maybe I
              >will listen. Should I fix it?

              Yes, please do! It can be very important for me to have exact word count
              -- especially in the digital age where wc is not always figured the old way
              (take words per line, multiply per number of lines...etc).

              Jennifer
              --
              The White Crow
              Author: The Deryni Roleplaying Game (Coming Nov. 2001, Grey Ghost Press)
              My RPG pages: http://www.io.com/~whytcrow/
              Living Writing: A Column at http://www.free-epress.com/columns/index.htm
              Peditress since 7/5/00
            • Lee Hauser
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                I concur with Jennifer. Though I've never had occasion to use WC with a
                single-segment memo, I think it should work consistently and ignore any
                headers.

                Lee

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                  # I concur with Jennifer. Though I've never had occasion to use WC with a
                  # single-segment memo, I think it should work consistently and ignore any
                  # headers.

                  ??? It does!!! [in the latest still unreleased version]. AMB=Paul
                • Lee Hauser
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                    That doesn't COUNT! <grin> It's not real until you give it to us!

                    Lee

                  • Josh Morris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                      Paul, is it in the test version of peditPro that you had us download
                      this morning?

                      Josh

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                        # Paul, is it in the test version of peditPro that you had us download
                        # this morning?

                        Yep. It's the real McCoy with the extra "Q" test in it. AMB=Paul