Macros to emulate Ctrl+RightArrow and Ctrl+LeftArrow

  • jesk50@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      This used to fail but now it works perfectly! Paul must've fixed something
      and didn't tell us!!!

      The macros below DO NOT invoke any dialog boxes, although the Palm IIIe
      screen does flicker.

      JumpNextWord ( I use the shortcut / <slash> )
      ESC W Right(29) Right(29)
      Explanation: ESC+W will highlight the current word, right arrow once to
      un-highlight toward the right, then right arrow once more to move forward.

      JumpPreviousWord ( I use the shortcut , <comma> )
      Left(28) Left(28) Left(28) ESC W Left(28)
      Explanation: arrow left a few times to back out of the current word, then
      ESC+W will highlight the current word, then left arrow once more to
      un-highlight toward the beginning of the word. NOTE: this macro gets stuck
      sometimes at the beginning of a line (usually requiring just 1 or 2 taps of
      the actual left arrow key). Play with it and post to the list if you find
      something better.

      Jerry Skelley
    • psvincent@my-dejanews.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
        Jerry,

        Is there a special way to enter the Ascii characters? I made a
        shortcut with exactly the text you indicate, and it now pastes the
        text: "Left(28) Left(28) Left(28) ' W Left(28)"

        Thanks.

        Mark

      • psvincent@my-dejanews.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
          Never mind. :) I found a freeware app called AsciiChart that allowed
          me to make the character with the keyboard and then copy/paste the
          ascii character (from that program into a shortcut).

          Works great!

          Mark

        • jesk50@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
            In a message dated 12/1/00 7:24:40 PM Central Standard Time,
            psvincent@... writes:

            << Jerry,

            Is there a special way to enter the Ascii characters? I made a
            shortcut with exactly the text you indicate, and it now pastes the
            text: "Left(28) Left(28) Left(28) ' W Left(28)"

            Thanks.

            Mark,
            Sorry. There is a special way to get ascii characters. Here's how I do it.

            Left(28) is my somewhat personalized shorthand: the ascii code for LeftArrow
            is ascii character 28, or the 28th character *from the top* of pedit's
            asciiPad

            1. From a blank line in pedit, go into AsciiPad (tap the A button or hit ESC
            a)

            2. Jump to the 28th character using the "jumper". All of these characters
            look like little squares.

            3. press ESC Q to Qopy'n'Paste this character < what I'm calling Left(28) >
            back into pedit. Left(28) is still on the clipboard, so you can paste it as
            many times as needed.

            4. I usually "build" the entire sequence of characters in pedit, then copy
            the sequence to the clipboard, then switch to Prefs and paste it as the new
            Palm shortcut.

            Hope this helps
            Jerry