LapTopHack 2.23b

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
      Dear LapTopHackers:

      http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/LapTopHack.zip
      http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/LapTopHack_Help.zip

      NEW in 2.23b: see at the end of this message.

      #############################################################################
      Have I fixed the problem with "FIND", FindHack, and KeyBoard?

      Please test thoroughly the dateMaster [see at the end of this message].

      I have done a lots of [invisible] improvements. Have I broken the DateBook,
      DateBK3, DateBK4 fix?

      Any TableFocusing crashes?

      Any crashes? Any bugs?
      #############################################################################

      LapTopHack picks up where Palm left off and turns your Palm into an even more
      powerful computer. LapTopHack is EQUALLY useful with or without an attached
      keyboard.

      LapTopHack modifies HackMaster, Palm's Category Editor, Date Selector, Find &
      FindHack, Keyboard, and Tips dialogs, it gives instant access to Palm's
      certain vitals such as battery status and clock, and it provides Total
      Keyboard Control via regular key input in Custom Alert windows [recognizable
      by the tip symbol "i" in the LEFT side of the title bar], and in every other
      window via the ESC key mechanism.

      Contextual help is available in every window which has a tip symbol "i" [on
      the LEFT side of the title bar] or a "LapTop..." or "LTH" label by tapping on
      the label.

      Use "?" for contextual help in every window which has a tip symbol "i" on the
      LEFT side of the title bar.

      Use "h" or "H" for contextual help in every window which has a "LapTop..." or
      "LTH" label.

      Use ":" for contextual help in the Control Activator.

      Use "h" or "H" for contextual help in popup lists.

      Use "ESC h" for contextual help [almost] everywhere else.

      ESSENTIAL SHORTCUTS

      "ESC r" = "ESC R" = button'n'control rotator
      "ESC 1" = activate default [bold framed] button
      "ESC 2" = activate default [bold labeled] popup trigger [get popup list]
      "ESC 3" = activate default [bold labeled] selector trigger [gray framed btn]

      Free evaluation period = 45 days. After 45 days a mild but persistent nagging
      starts. Eventually the nagging will get more and more obnoxious.

      PLEASE DO THIS

      The new popped up List processor and the Date Selector are are the fanciest.
      Please explore them. You can go to the Date Selector, e.g., via the "Go to"
      button in DateBook. Don't forget to try 's' and 'm'.

      Does LapTopHack slow down your Palm in any sense whatsoever?

      Do you like the interface? Is it intuitive? Any bugs? Any suggestions?

      USE "ESC o" or "ESC 0" [zero] for the control activator.

      Every control [button, push button, check box, popup trigger, selector
      trigger & popup list] can be activated by typing the 1st few [unique] letters
      of the control. Even with category labels and such.

      The default button can be activated from the control activator via a carriage
      return too [bold frame].

      EXAMPLE. If there is a button "Done" and a check box "Don Rather" then typing
      "Don " will activate the check box.

      HINT. With or without a keyboard, LapTopHack can be brought up with a stroke
      from the lower right of the ENTIRE glass or plastic screen area all the way
      to the upper left of the ENTIRE screen. Of course, typing the ESC character
      does the same.

      HINT. I use "\" [under score] as the ESC character and I like it very much
      that way. It's easy to enter. "*" and "=" are good too. If you don't use
      pedit then use "`" as the ESC character.

      HINT. LapTopHack's "Date'n'Time'n'Voltage'n'Battery" can be brought up with a
      stroke from the lower left of the of the ENTIRE glass or plastic screen area
      all the way to the upper right of the ENTIRE screen.

      REGISTERING LapTopHack

      Please see

      http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=8672

      for registering LapTopHack.

      Thanks a zillion! Best regards, Paul

      P.S. BTW, there will be a full manual.

      #############################################################################
      November 16, 2000: fixed PPK 1.2 conflict [shifted ESC characters].
      November 16, 2000: fixed DiddleBug 2.15 conflict [incorrectly displayed label].
      November 16, 2000: fixed LispMe conflict [wrong comparison of labels].
      November 16, 2000: fixed OS 3.3 grouped push button problem.
      November 17, 2000: more commands in the Date Selector.
      November 17, 2000: PPK users rejoice: [optionally] a TAB is a TAB.
      November 18, 2000: added the control rotator ["ESC r"].
      November 20, 2000: PPK and graffiti users rejoice: [optionally] a TAB is
      always a TAB.
      November 20, 2000: more commands in the Date Selector.
      November 20, 2000: fixed a bug when verifying passwords in OS 3.5+.
      November 21, 2000: fixed a list related bug appearing in OS 3.1.
      November 21, 2000: more commands in the Date Selector ["m"].
      November 22, 2000: bug fixes...
      November 23, 2000: optimization
      November 23, 2000: bug fixes...
      November 24, 2000: added RAM info to Date'n'Time & Voltage'n'Battery.
      November 24, 2000: use ":" for help in the Control Activator.
      November 25, 2000: fixed DateBk3 conflict.
      November 26, 2000: extended the limit of text-copy to the ClipBoard to 32K max.
      November 26, 2000: extended the limit of text-cut to the ClipBoard to 32K max
      [read the rules in the "Tips" of the "LapTopHack Preferences" window].
      November 26, 2000: fixed a bug related to DateBk4's 2nd week-view.
      November 28, 2000: more features in dateMaster [enter "m" in the Date Selector]
      November 28, 2000: The Date Selector's dateMaster is complete.
      November 29, 2000: ready for release [except fot the manual].
      November 30, 2000: LapTopHack & IntelligentFind are incompatible, and,
      therefore, LapTopHack is disabled in IntelligentFind.
      December 1, 2000: "Our Ctrl Activator" can be moved up and down
      [type "?" for help].

      #############################################################################
      MAC GUYS: I recommend PalmBuddy - http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fpillet/#palmbuddy
      #############################################################################
    • Joachim Sanders
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
        --- In peditors@egroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
        > Dear LapTopHackers:
        >
        > http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/LapTopHack.zip
        > http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/LapTopHack_Help.zip
        >
        > NEW in 2.23b: see at the end of this message.

        #######
        > Have I fixed the problem with "FIND", FindHack, and KeyBoard?
        >
        > Please test thoroughly the dateMaster [see at the end of this
        message].

        > I have done a lots of [invisible] improvements. Have I broken the
        DateBook,
        > DateBK3, DateBK4 fix?
        >
        > Any TableFocusing crashes?
        >
        > Any crashes? Any bugs?

        Fatal error going to the DateSelector, selecting 'M' and "arrow down"
        or "Space".

        Joachim Sanders
      • Joachim Sanders
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
          --- In peditors@egroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
          > Dear LapTopHackers:
          >
          > http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/LapTopHack.zip
          > http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/x/LapTopHack_Help.zip
          >
          > NEW in 2.23b: see at the end of this message.

          #######
          > Have I fixed the problem with "FIND", FindHack, and KeyBoard?
          >
          > Please test thoroughly the dateMaster [see at the end of this
          message].

          > I have done a lots of [invisible] improvements. Have I broken the
          DateBook,
          > DateBK3, DateBK4 fix?
          >
          > Any TableFocusing crashes?
          >
          > Any crashes? Any bugs?

          #######

          Fatal error: forms.c line 1300 object not in form while in Date
          Selector and hitting left/right arrow.

          Joachim Sanders
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
            Joachim Sanders wrote to Paul Nevai:
            # Fatal error: forms.c line 1300 object not in form while in Date
            # Selector and hitting left/right arrow.

            Yep, actually I made about a dozen errors like this:

            I did a batch find and replace job and accidentally I replaced a dozen or so
            FrmGetObjectId by FrmGetObjectIndex. Now I need to check each and every
            FrmGetObjectIndex and see which is OK and which is not.

            What a pain... Best regards, Paul
          • Joachim Sanders
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
              --- In peditors@egroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
              > Joachim Sanders wrote to Paul Nevai:
              > # Fatal error: forms.c line 1300 object not in form while in Date
              > # Selector and hitting left/right arrow.
              >
              > Yep, actually I made about a dozen errors like this:
              >
              > I did a batch find and replace job and accidentally I replaced a
              dozen or so
              > FrmGetObjectId by FrmGetObjectIndex. Now I need to check each and
              every
              > FrmGetObjectIndex and see which is OK and which is not.
              >
              > What a pain... Best regards, Paul

              Hi Paul,
              you succeeded. In LTH 2.24 evrything is fine again.
              Moving "OurControlActivator" works great (first step in direction
              overall "cursor movement"? ;)
              Best regards, Joachim
            • whytcrow@io.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000

                >you succeeded. In LTH 2.24 evrything is fine again.
                >Moving "OurControlActivator" works great (first step in direction
                >overall "cursor movement"? ;)

                No bugs here either. And the moving OCA is *Very* cool. No
                possiblity of me forgeting what is under the window between deciding
                I needed to select something and popping up the window. :)

                Jennifer
                the forgetful peditor...

                The White Crow
                FUDGE Deryni and Brave New World stuff:
                http://www.io.com/~whytcrow/
                "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
                want to annoy for the rest of your life." -- Rita Rudner
              • whytcrow@io.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                  Ok, it might not be a peditPro problem (I think it is probably a
                  system thing, but I'm unclear), but it drives me batty. When I go to
                  delete a bunch of text and I'm beeped at "This operation cannot be
                  undone" and I must stop what I"m doing and hit OK. I suppose that
                  there's a good reason for this -- I'd be unhappy if I wasn't warned
                  and tried to undo something and it didn't work. And now I can just
                  hit return and keep going. But it beeps at me, and that's annoying.
                  I don't mind a dialogue box. I do mind that it beeps. Petty, I'm
                  sure. :)

                  And now that I've typed this out, I'm not sure what I want anymore.
                  I do want to know that I won't be able to recover this, but I
                  generally am not deleting such large chunks of text without having a
                  real reason for it. And thus hate to be beeped at without good
                  reason. (And no, turning my sound off isn't an option).

                  Jee, I'm so indecisive I feel like a Floridian.

                  Jennifer
                  (who's lived there, has family there, and thus has license to poke fun)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                    whytcrow@... wrote to Paul Nevai:
                    #
                    # Ok, it might not be a peditPro problem (I think it is probably a
                    # system thing, but I'm unclear), but it drives me batty. When I go to
                    # delete a bunch of text and I'm beeped at "This operation cannot be
                    # undone" and I must stop what I"m doing and hit OK. I suppose that
                    # there's a good reason for this -- I'd be unhappy if I wasn't warned
                    # and tried to undo something and it didn't work. And now I can just
                    # hit return and keep going. But it beeps at me, and that's annoying.
                    # I don't mind a dialogue box. I do mind that it beeps. Petty, I'm
                    # sure. :)

                    It's built in. Try it anywhere else in the Palm. A Hack could remove it BUT
                    it's not worth the trouble [IMHO]. Best regards, Paul
                  • Mark Hazell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                      Paul,

                      Could LTH be written to overwrite this functionality so that when you delete
                      an amount of text up to 32k (instead of the normal 1k), it can store it so
                      that you CAN do an 'undo' in future if you realise you've made a mistake?

                      I guess instead of deleting text, people could perhaps use the CUT
                      functionality in this case though as that's been extended...but I guess
                      that's a change of mindset.

                      Just a spur-of-the-moment thought.

                      Cheers,
                      Mark.

                      PS still awaiting my full version of FitalyStamp and the stamps.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                        # Could LTH be written to overwrite this functionality so that when you delete
                        # an amount of text up to 32k (instead of the normal 1k), it can store it so
                        # that you CAN do an 'undo' in future if you realise you've made a mistake?
                        #
                        # I guess instead of deleting text, people could perhaps use the CUT
                        # functionality in this case though as that's been extended...but I guess
                        # that's a change of mindset.

                        Dear Mark:

                        You failed to read the Help file! Best regards, Paul

                        #############################################################################
                        Palm's built-in text-copy and text-cut to the ClipBoard can contain no more
                        than 1000 characters.

                        LapTopHack allows you to extend these limits by using the popup list next to
                        the "The ClipBoard size..." label.

                        In most cases, unless you have very little free RAM, it is all right to pick
                        the largest number which is equal to 32K.

                        Note. LapTopHack modifies the text-copy operation completely transparently.

                        Note. LapTopHack modifies the text-cut operation in the following way.

                        1. If the text to be cut contains no more than 1000 characters then Palm's
                        built-in text-cut does the job.

                        2. If the text to be cut contains more than 1000 characters but no more than
                        the modified "ClipBoard size" then a text-cut cuts the text and copies it to
                        the ClipBoard but the operation is undoable using Palm's built-in "Undo"
                        command. However, the text-cut can still be undone using a regular
                        text-paste.
                        #############################################################################
                      • Mark Hazell
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                          Paul,

                          I did read the help file (and think I understood it :-), and I have the LTH
                          clipboard set to 32k.

                          But if I go into a p32 memo, select over half of it, and press backspace, it
                          displays the undo warning 'cannot be undone'. If you press OK, the text
                          disappears.
                          Then if I decide I was stupid, and want to undo it, I cannot (which of
                          course is standard Palm functionality because I got the warning).

                          What I meant was that maybe you could store that text that I've just deleted
                          somewhere (probably not the clipboard, in case something else important is
                          in there, but maybe RAM again?), and then if I do an undo, LTH can bring it
                          back.

                          This then gives people more security that should they delete (not cut) more
                          than 1000 characters, it can be restored thanks to LTH.

                          Is this possible?

                          Cheers,
                          Mark.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                            # But if I go into a p32 memo, select over half of it, and press backspace,
                            # it displays the undo warning 'cannot be undone'. If you press OK, the text
                            # disappears. Then if I decide I was stupid, and want to undo it, I cannot
                            # (which of course is standard Palm functionality because I got the warning).

                            Hi Mark:

                            I see. It should be that way. Not every operation should be undoable in a
                            Palm with limited capabilities. Use cut instead of delete if necessary.
                            Sorry, but I agree with Palm's philosophy on this [a rare case indeed].
                            Best regards, Paul
                          • whytcrow@io.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                              Ah, I understand now. Cut, not delete -- that's what I want for
                              preventing worry about the undo capabilities. I'm fine with it not
                              all being undoable (although I like having undo there!).

                              However, it still beeps at me. Grr...I thought it was a system
                              thing, and now I know.

                              Jennifer
                              The White Crow
                              FUDGE Deryni and Brave New World stuff:
                              http://www.io.com/~whytcrow/
                              "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you
                              want to annoy for the rest of your life." -- Rita Rudner
                            • Peter Grierson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 24, 2001
                                 Jennifer I saw this while reading some old post hence the delay.