RE: [peditors] Re: hi...

  • voytekeymont
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
      > compatible devices are no longer manufactured,

      I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

      > this forum remains as a
      > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of

      and current users ?

      I have several Android devices, BUT, still Palm for what's important..

      BTW, I use pTools 'case converter' to convert either emails or scraped
      text from ALL UPPER CASE to Title Case, what can one use on Android to
      convert arbitrary text
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 15, 2013
        On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
        >> compatible devices are no longer manufactured,
        >
        > I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

        They do. They make ruggedized handheld units running Palm OS Garnet
        or Windows CE 5.0. See http://www.aceeca.com/ (The PDA32 unit looks
        interesting. They claim to have Linux in development for it.)

        They are also still relevant to the dwindling installed base of Palm users.

        I spent a few days redoing the setup on a friend's old Tungsten E2,
        which got unearthed as part of a massive apartment cleaning. A new
        charging cable from a Chinese manufacturer got it to power up, and the
        use of NVFS meant the old data was still there.

        Next stop was hotsyncing with her Win7 laptop. Palm desktop 6.2
        installed as expected, but Hotsync didn't happen because it's a 64 bit
        machine and Palm's USB drivers are 32 bit. As it happens, Aceeca has
        a beta 64 bit USB driver package that can be substituted, and once in
        place, Hotsync worked. See
        http://www.aceeca.com/index.php?option=com_maqmahelpdesk&Itemid=5&id_workgroup=1&task=downloads_product&id=6

        (Installing it required working through Windows Device Manager, so
        it's not a project for a non-technical user.)
        https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
      • Paolo Amoroso
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 20, 2013
          I updated the group description based on your suggestions, here's the new
          one:

          Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
          users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
          such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
          family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
          operating system.

          As Palm OS is now largely obsolete, compatible devices are niche products,
          and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a venue for the
          community of former or current users, and those with fond memories of
          pedit. It can also be helpful for anyone who uses a handheld computer to
          organize their lives and data, continuing the "PDA" legacy started with
          Palm OS and enhanced with the pedit family of tools.

          Paolo
          --
          Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso