Re: [peditors] Custom Android launchers

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
      On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Markley Jr, John <jmmjr@...> wrote:
      > Thanks Dennis. Raphael's blog is generally quite useful. I've been using the launcher he discusses, Nova, for quite a while and am highly pleased for many of the reasons he discusses.

      You're welcome.

      Smartphones, whether running Android or something else, have subsumed
      PDAs for the sort of tasks PDAs did. While the hardware, OS, and
      precise capabilities of the devices may differ, form factor remains a
      common concern. You have a small device with limited screen real
      estate and controlling buttons. What sort of UI can best expose what
      the device can do, in a form easiest for the user to deal with?

      We were already seeing future change before Palm devices became
      largely irrelevant - the Treo added an additional wrinkle to the
      issue, because people wanted to be able to use the device with one
      hand. A stylus was a deal breaker for many operations.

      (My TX with 5 way navigation pad can be used one handed to some
      extent, but a stylus is still required for various operations.)

      UI looked at a variety of launchers for Palm devices, and I'm curious
      about the state of the art in Android devices, so I was fascinated by
      Raphael's remarks.

      Mozilla's mobile browser began as research into the best way to use a
      small screen for browsing, and how to handle the controls. I expect
      to see more developments on this line as time goes on.

      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519