Custom Android launchers

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
      Folks here who have moved to Android might find this of interest:
      http://blogs.computerworld.com/android/21084/custom-android-launcher

      One of the earliest things I did when getting my first PalmOS PDA was
      finding alternatives to the stock Palm launcher that served as the UI
      for the device. I'd been doing that on other platforms, and decided
      to see what was available for Palm gear.

      I looked at a number, including GoBar, Home, iSpin, MegaLauncher,
      Launcher III, LauncherX and ZLauncher. What I settled on was the
      freeware Launcher III in the beginning, and upgraded to the shareware
      Launcher X to get support for running things from an expansion card.
      I still use LauncherX.

      It was no surprise that alternatives to the stock launcher were
      available for Android, though Android 4.0 brought improvements to the
      native UI that removed the need for a custom launcher for many users.
      They still exist, and since lots of things out there still run an
      earlier version of Android or have vendor imposed quirks a custom
      launcher can work around, they are still a useful alternative, and
      many folks just like to customize their devices.
      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
    • Markley Jr, John
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
        Thanks Dennis. Raphael's blog is generally quite useful. I've been using the launcher he discusses, Nova, for quite a while and am highly pleased for many of the reasons he discusses.

        ~ John
        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2013
          On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Markley Jr, John <jmmjr@...> wrote:
          > Thanks Dennis. Raphael's blog is generally quite useful. I've been using the launcher he discusses, Nova, for quite a while and am highly pleased for many of the reasons he discusses.

          You're welcome.

          Smartphones, whether running Android or something else, have subsumed
          PDAs for the sort of tasks PDAs did. While the hardware, OS, and
          precise capabilities of the devices may differ, form factor remains a
          common concern. You have a small device with limited screen real
          estate and controlling buttons. What sort of UI can best expose what
          the device can do, in a form easiest for the user to deal with?

          We were already seeing future change before Palm devices became
          largely irrelevant - the Treo added an additional wrinkle to the
          issue, because people wanted to be able to use the device with one
          hand. A stylus was a deal breaker for many operations.

          (My TX with 5 way navigation pad can be used one handed to some
          extent, but a stylus is still required for various operations.)

          UI looked at a variety of launchers for Palm devices, and I'm curious
          about the state of the art in Android devices, so I was fascinated by
          Raphael's remarks.

          Mozilla's mobile browser began as research into the best way to use a
          small screen for browsing, and how to handle the controls. I expect
          to see more developments on this line as time goes on.