Re: hi...

  • photojhh
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 11 9:57 PM
      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:
      >
      > >> If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
      > >> pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
      > >> to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
      > >
      > > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:
      >
      > > <...>
      > It's not clear we need to do so: the group has 1,300+ members. If
      > enough notice it's still active, we can have a lively community.

      True. We can see how things go from here, then worry about group description text later if needed.
    • Paolo Amoroso
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 12 11:10 AM
        On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:

        > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
        > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
        > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
        > >

        > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description
        > a bit. Currently it says:

        I may change the group description like this:

        Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
        users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
        such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
        family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
        operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
        manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
        venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
        pedit.

        As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
        as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
        Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
        most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
        root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
        experience over features.

        Paolo
        --
        Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

      • photojhh
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 12 11:36 AM
          --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Amoroso <paolo.amoroso@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:
          > > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
          > > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
          > > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
          > > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit...
          > >

          > I may change the group description like this:
          >
          > Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions
          > among users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
          > such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
          > family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
          > operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
          > manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
          > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
          > pedit.

          Sounds good to me. You might add after "fond memories of pedit":

          ...pedit. It can also be helpful for anyone who uses
          a handheld computer to organize their lives and data,
          continuing the "PDA" legacy started with Palm OS and
          enhanced with the pedit family of tools.

          My $0.02.

          -- JohnH

          > As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
          > as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
          > Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
          > most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
          > root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
          > experience over features.
          >

          > Paolo
          > --
          > Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

        • Markley Jr, John
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 12 12:09 PM
            Hi Paolo -

            1) excellent description

            2) I've taken exactly the same route as you, currently running a Nexus 4

            regards,
            John Markley
            ________________________________
            > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
            > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
            > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
            > >

            > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description
            > a bit. Currently it says:

            I may change the group description like this:

            Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
            users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
            such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
            family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
            operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
            manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
            venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
            pedit.

            As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
            as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
            Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
            most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
            root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
            experience over features.

            Paolo
            --
            Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

          • voytekeymont
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 12 4:31 PM
              > compatible devices are no longer manufactured,

              I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

              > this forum remains as a
              > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of

              and current users ?

              I have several Android devices, BUT, still Palm for what's important..

              BTW, I use pTools 'case converter' to convert either emails or scraped
              text from ALL UPPER CASE to Title Case, what can one use on Android to
              convert arbitrary text
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 15 9:16 AM
                On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                >> compatible devices are no longer manufactured,
                >
                > I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

                They do. They make ruggedized handheld units running Palm OS Garnet
                or Windows CE 5.0. See http://www.aceeca.com/ (The PDA32 unit looks
                interesting. They claim to have Linux in development for it.)

                They are also still relevant to the dwindling installed base of Palm users.

                I spent a few days redoing the setup on a friend's old Tungsten E2,
                which got unearthed as part of a massive apartment cleaning. A new
                charging cable from a Chinese manufacturer got it to power up, and the
                use of NVFS meant the old data was still there.

                Next stop was hotsyncing with her Win7 laptop. Palm desktop 6.2
                installed as expected, but Hotsync didn't happen because it's a 64 bit
                machine and Palm's USB drivers are 32 bit. As it happens, Aceeca has
                a beta 64 bit USB driver package that can be substituted, and once in
                place, Hotsync worked. See
                http://www.aceeca.com/index.php?option=com_maqmahelpdesk&Itemid=5&id_workgroup=1&task=downloads_product&id=6

                (Installing it required working through Windows Device Manager, so
                it's not a project for a non-technical user.)
                https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
              • Paolo Amoroso
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 20 7:38 AM
                  I updated the group description based on your suggestions, here's the new
                  one:

                  Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
                  users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                  such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                  family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                  operating system.

                  As Palm OS is now largely obsolete, compatible devices are niche products,
                  and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a venue for the
                  community of former or current users, and those with fond memories of