Re: Re: [peditors] hi...

  • nevaip
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 10, 2013
      Hi Jochen:

      Try

      http://www.paulcomputing.com

      which points to

      http://home.roadrunner.com/~nevai/palm/

      Best regards, Paul

      On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 06:37:19AM +0000, Jochen Konietzko wrote:
      > your programs (or do we now call them apps?) have been working so well for
      me, that for quite a number of years now I haven't even checked whether
      I've got the latest version.
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 10, 2013
        Hi John:

        On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 03:22:30PM +0000, John Harms wrote:
        > Paul, it was a fun ride with PalmOS, fueled by your pedit suite of
        > software!  Thanks again for your legacy of making handheld computers useful for
        > note-taking and life organization!  :-)

        You are most welcome. /Paul
      • photojhh
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 10, 2013

          > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
          > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
          > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...

          Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:

          "Peditors Forum is a public, high traffic (up to several tens of messages per day) mailing list for general discussions among users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit is a family of powerful Memo Pad and Doc compatible text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS operating system....Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, tips and tricks, troubleshooting and requests for help, using pedit as a programming editor, general information, brainstorming on new features, bug reports, success stories (i.e. when pedit is the perfect tool for a given task), use with external keyboards, IR printing, exchanging data with desktop PCs, announcements of compatible third-party products, development of tools for processing pedit databases, and more."

          -- JohnH
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 10, 2013
            On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:

            >> If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
            >> pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
            >> to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
            >
            > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:

            > <...>

            I have Group Moderator privileges, and may add/delete stuff in the
            files section, but I don't believe I can change the group's
            description.

            What would you change it to?

            It's not clear we need to do so: the group has 1,300+ members. If
            enough notice it's still active, we can have a lively community.

            > -- JohnH
            https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
          • photojhh
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 11, 2013
              --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:
              >
              > >> If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
              > >> pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
              > >> to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
              > >
              > > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:
              >
              > > <...>
              > It's not clear we need to do so: the group has 1,300+ members. If
              > enough notice it's still active, we can have a lively community.

              True. We can see how things go from here, then worry about group description text later if needed.
            • Paolo Amoroso
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
                On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:

                > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                > >

                > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description
                > a bit. Currently it says:

                I may change the group description like this:

                Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
                users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
                manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
                venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
                pedit.

                As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
                as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
                Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
                most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
                root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
                experience over features.

                Paolo
                --
                Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

              • photojhh
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
                  --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Amoroso <paolo.amoroso@...> wrote:
                  > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:
                  > > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                  > > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                  > > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                  > > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit...
                  > >

                  > I may change the group description like this:
                  >
                  > Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions
                  > among users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                  > such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                  > family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                  > operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
                  > manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
                  > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
                  > pedit.

                  Sounds good to me. You might add after "fond memories of pedit":

                  ...pedit. It can also be helpful for anyone who uses
                  a handheld computer to organize their lives and data,
                  continuing the "PDA" legacy started with Palm OS and
                  enhanced with the pedit family of tools.

                  My $0.02.

                  -- JohnH

                  > As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
                  > as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
                  > Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
                  > most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
                  > root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
                  > experience over features.
                  >

                  > Paolo
                  > --
                  > Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

                • Markley Jr, John
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
                    Hi Paolo -

                    1) excellent description

                    2) I've taken exactly the same route as you, currently running a Nexus 4

                    regards,
                    John Markley
                    ________________________________
                    > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                    > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                    > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                    > >

                    > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description
                    > a bit. Currently it says:

                    I may change the group description like this:

                    Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
                    users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                    such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                    family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                    operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
                    manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
                    venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
                    pedit.

                    As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
                    as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
                    Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
                    most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
                    root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
                    experience over features.

                    Paolo
                    --
                    Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

                  • voytekeymont
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
                      > compatible devices are no longer manufactured,

                      I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

                      > this forum remains as a
                      > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of

                      and current users ?

                      I have several Android devices, BUT, still Palm for what's important..

                      BTW, I use pTools 'case converter' to convert either emails or scraped
                      text from ALL UPPER CASE to Title Case, what can one use on Android to
                      convert arbitrary text
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 15, 2013
                        On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                        >> compatible devices are no longer manufactured,
                        >
                        > I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

                        They do. They make ruggedized handheld units running Palm OS Garnet
                        or Windows CE 5.0. See http://www.aceeca.com/ (The PDA32 unit looks
                        interesting. They claim to have Linux in development for it.)

                        They are also still relevant to the dwindling installed base of Palm users.

                        I spent a few days redoing the setup on a friend's old Tungsten E2,
                        which got unearthed as part of a massive apartment cleaning. A new
                        charging cable from a Chinese manufacturer got it to power up, and the
                        use of NVFS meant the old data was still there.

                        Next stop was hotsyncing with her Win7 laptop. Palm desktop 6.2
                        installed as expected, but Hotsync didn't happen because it's a 64 bit
                        machine and Palm's USB drivers are 32 bit. As it happens, Aceeca has
                        a beta 64 bit USB driver package that can be substituted, and once in
                        place, Hotsync worked. See
                        http://www.aceeca.com/index.php?option=com_maqmahelpdesk&Itemid=5&id_workgroup=1&task=downloads_product&id=6

                        (Installing it required working through Windows Device Manager, so
                        it's not a project for a non-technical user.)
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 20, 2013
                          I updated the group description based on your suggestions, here's the new
                          one:

                          Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
                          users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                          such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                          family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                          operating system.

                          As Palm OS is now largely obsolete, compatible devices are niche products,
                          and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a venue for the
                          community of former or current users, and those with fond memories of