Re: hi...

  • jhnmarkley
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 9, 2013
      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

      > I expect increasing convergence by Apple, too, and at some point I
      > expect OS/X to be subsumed into iOS. What this will mean for folks
      > like you is unclear.

      Best guess, he'll make it work no matter what....

      ~ John
    • voytekeymont
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 9, 2013
        On Wed, April 10, 2013 10:57 am, dmccunney wrote:

        > I still have and use a Palm folding keyboard. If I get a table, a BT
        > keybpard will join the mix.

        have quite a few Palm folding keyboards.... including the 5 row ones;
        but, never got the bt one...(never wanted to pay the price....)

        but, with the Xoom or Atrix got Motorola bt keyboard/mouse combo (not
        folding though, oh well)
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 9, 2013
          On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, April 10, 2013 10:57 am, dmccunney wrote:
          >
          >> I still have and use a Palm folding keyboard. If I get a table, a BT
          >> keybpard will join the mix.
          >
          > have quite a few Palm folding keyboards.... including the 5 row ones;
          > but, never got the bt one...(never wanted to pay the price....)

          The current one here is a 5 row PalmOne model. I believe I have a 4
          row floating around somewhere too, and still have a Targus Stowaway
          from the old Visor Pro.

          I passed on BT for the Palm because of intended usage. On the old
          Zodiac, at least, I could use Wifi (via a SanDisk Wifi SD card) *or*
          Bluetooth, but not both at once. Since a use case involved using the
          keyboard while connected via Wifi, that let out a BT keyboard, but an
          IR model was usable.

          Should an Android device join the family, a BT keyboard will be a necessity.

          > but, with the Xoom or Atrix got Motorola bt keyboard/mouse combo (not
          > folding though, oh well)

          Are folding BT units that work with the phones available?
          https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
        • Voytek Eymont
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 9, 2013
            http://jornostore.com/specifications/ ?

            The company that used to make Palm's ones, doesn't seem to make them anymore

            dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

            >On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
            >> On Wed, April 10, 2013 10:57 am, dmccunney wrote:
            >>
            >>> I still have and use a Palm folding keyboard. If I get a table, a
            >BT
            >>> keybpard will join the mix.
            >>
            >> have quite a few Palm folding keyboards.... including the 5 row ones;
            >> but, never got the bt one...(never wanted to pay the price....)
            >
            >The current one here is a 5 row PalmOne model. I believe I have a 4
            >row floating around somewhere too, and still have a Targus Stowaway
            >from the old Visor Pro.
            >
            >I passed on BT for the Palm because of intended usage. On the old
            >Zodiac, at least, I could use Wifi (via a SanDisk Wifi SD card) *or*
            >Bluetooth, but not both at once. Since a use case involved using the
            >keyboard while connected via Wifi, that let out a BT keyboard, but an
            >IR model was usable.
            >
            >Should an Android device join the family, a BT keyboard will be a
            >necessity.
            >
            >> but, with the Xoom or Atrix got Motorola bt keyboard/mouse combo (not
            >> folding though, oh well)
            >
            >Are folding BT units that work with the phones available?
            >______
            >Dennis
            >https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

            >Groups Links

            Voytek
            --
            Sent from my Moom with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

          • John Messeder
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 9, 2013
              I also miss pToolSet, though I'm on my second Android.

              John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
              http://johnmesseder.com/
              @John_Messeder
              Ph: 717.253.0605
              Member, Society of Environmental Journalists
              Member, National Society of Newspaper Columnists

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 9, 2013
                On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Voytek Eymont <voytek@...> wrote:
                > http://jornostore.com/specifications/ ?
                >
                > The company that used to make Palm's ones, doesn't seem to make them anymore

                The ones I'm familiar with were an OEM offering from Think Outside.
                who also sold them under their own name. Think Outside got purchased
                by Mobility Electronics, who renamed themselves iGO. They still
                exist, but no longer produce keyboards.
                https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
              • Jochen Konietzko
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 9, 2013
                  Hi, Paul,

                  your programs (or do we now call them apps?) have been working so well for me, that for quite a number of years now I haven't even checked whether I've got the latest version.

                  Just now I tried - and the first link (osuweb) gave me a "not found" error, the second (peditors) led to a Japanese site.

                  Are there still any links around that work?

                  Regards,

                  Jochen

                  Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. April 2013 um 06:13 Uhr
                  Von: dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...>
                  An: peditors@yahoogroups.com
                  Betreff: Re: [peditors] hi...
                  On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Voytek Eymont <voytek@...> wrote:
                  > http://jornostore.com/specifications/ ?
                  >
                  > The company that used to make Palm's ones, doesn't seem to make them anymore

                  The ones I'm familiar with were an OEM offering from Think Outside.
                  who also sold them under their own name. Think Outside got purchased
                  by Mobility Electronics, who renamed themselves iGO. They still
                  exist, but no longer produce keyboards.
                  https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519[https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519]

                • nevaip
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 10, 2013
                    Hi Jochen:

                    Try

                    http://www.paulcomputing.com

                    which points to

                    http://home.roadrunner.com/~nevai/palm/

                    Best regards, Paul

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 10, 2013
                      Hi John:

                      On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 03:22:30PM +0000, John Harms wrote:
                      > Paul, it was a fun ride with PalmOS, fueled by your pedit suite of
                      > software!  Thanks again for your legacy of making handheld computers useful for
                      > note-taking and life organization!  :-)

                      You are most welcome. /Paul
                    • photojhh
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 10, 2013

                        > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                        > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                        > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...

                        Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:

                        "Peditors Forum is a public, high traffic (up to several tens of messages per day) mailing list for general discussions among users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit is a family of powerful Memo Pad and Doc compatible text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS operating system....Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, tips and tricks, troubleshooting and requests for help, using pedit as a programming editor, general information, brainstorming on new features, bug reports, success stories (i.e. when pedit is the perfect tool for a given task), use with external keyboards, IR printing, exchanging data with desktop PCs, announcements of compatible third-party products, development of tools for processing pedit databases, and more."

                        -- JohnH
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 10, 2013
                          On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:

                          >> If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                          >> pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                          >> to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                          >
                          > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:

                          > <...>

                          I have Group Moderator privileges, and may add/delete stuff in the
                          files section, but I don't believe I can change the group's
                          description.

                          What would you change it to?

                          It's not clear we need to do so: the group has 1,300+ members. If
                          enough notice it's still active, we can have a lively community.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 11, 2013
                            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

                            > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > >> If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                            > >> pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                            > >> to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                            > >
                            > > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:
                            >
                            > > <...>
                            > It's not clear we need to do so: the group has 1,300+ members. If
                            > enough notice it's still active, we can have a lively community.

                            True. We can see how things go from here, then worry about group description text later if needed.
                          • Paolo Amoroso
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
                              On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:

                              > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                              > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                              > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                              > >

                              > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description
                              > a bit. Currently it says:

                              I may change the group description like this:

                              Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
                              users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                              such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                              family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                              operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
                              manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
                              venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
                              pedit.

                              As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
                              as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
                              Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
                              most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
                              root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
                              experience over features.

                              Paolo
                              --
                              Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

                            • photojhh
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
                                --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Amoroso <paolo.amoroso@...> wrote:
                                > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:
                                > > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                                > > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                                > > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                                > > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit...
                                > >

                                > I may change the group description like this:
                                >
                                > Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions
                                > among users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                                > such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                                > family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                                > operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
                                > manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
                                > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
                                > pedit.

                                Sounds good to me. You might add after "fond memories of pedit":

                                ...pedit. It can also be helpful for anyone who uses
                                a handheld computer to organize their lives and data,
                                continuing the "PDA" legacy started with Palm OS and
                                enhanced with the pedit family of tools.

                                My $0.02.

                                -- JohnH

                                > As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
                                > as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
                                > Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
                                > most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
                                > root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
                                > experience over features.
                                >

                                > Paolo
                                > --
                                > Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

                              • Markley Jr, John
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
                                  Hi Paolo -

                                  1) excellent description

                                  2) I've taken exactly the same route as you, currently running a Nexus 4

                                  regards,
                                  John Markley
                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 12, 2013
                                    > compatible devices are no longer manufactured,

                                    I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

                                    > this forum remains as a
                                    > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of

                                    and current users ?

                                    I have several Android devices, BUT, still Palm for what's important..

                                    BTW, I use pTools 'case converter' to convert either emails or scraped
                                    text from ALL UPPER CASE to Title Case, what can one use on Android to
                                    convert arbitrary text
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 15, 2013
                                      On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                                      >> compatible devices are no longer manufactured,
                                      >
                                      > I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

                                      They do. They make ruggedized handheld units running Palm OS Garnet
                                      or Windows CE 5.0. See http://www.aceeca.com/ (The PDA32 unit looks
                                      interesting. They claim to have Linux in development for it.)

                                      They are also still relevant to the dwindling installed base of Palm users.

                                      I spent a few days redoing the setup on a friend's old Tungsten E2,
                                      which got unearthed as part of a massive apartment cleaning. A new
                                      charging cable from a Chinese manufacturer got it to power up, and the
                                      use of NVFS meant the old data was still there.

                                      Next stop was hotsyncing with her Win7 laptop. Palm desktop 6.2
                                      installed as expected, but Hotsync didn't happen because it's a 64 bit
                                      machine and Palm's USB drivers are 32 bit. As it happens, Aceeca has
                                      a beta 64 bit USB driver package that can be substituted, and once in
                                      place, Hotsync worked. See
                                      http://www.aceeca.com/index.php?option=com_maqmahelpdesk&Itemid=5&id_workgroup=1&task=downloads_product&id=6

                                      (Installing it required working through Windows Device Manager, so
                                      it's not a project for a non-technical user.)
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 20, 2013
                                        I updated the group description based on your suggestions, here's the new
                                        one:

                                        Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
                                        users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                                        such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                                        family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                                        operating system.

                                        As Palm OS is now largely obsolete, compatible devices are niche products,
                                        and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a venue for the
                                        community of former or current users, and those with fond memories of