Re: [peditors] hi...

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 9 5:44 PM
      On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

      > It's good to hear from all of you...

      And good to hear from you.

      > The thing about unix is that I am pretty sure that it will survive me as
      > opposed to all those here today and gone tomorrow OSs.

      Since a lot of what's out there is based on Linux, I concur. Android
      has a Linux kernel. Google's Chromium has a Linux kernel under the
      hood.
      So does Palm/HP's WebOS. RIM's new Blackberry OS is based on Qnx, not
      Linux, but Qnx's design was modeled after Unix.

      > BTW, when I say "Unix" I mean OS X. E.g., I write this email with mutt and
      > emacs in the terminal application of my Mac.

      Yep. OS/X is a modified BSD kernel with the standard Gnu utilities.
      Apple did a good job of integrating a GUI on top of it, so most Apple
      users never need to go near a command line.

      The bugger factor down the road will be convergence. With Windows 8,
      MS has a version of Windows available for ARM based devices, with the
      goal of the same OS running on anything you might have: desktop,
      laptop, netbook, tablet, smartphone...

      Android is moving in that direction, being embedded in smartphones and
      tablets, with an alpha X86 desktop port available.

      I expect increasing convergence by Apple, too, and at some point I
      expect OS/X to be subsumed into iOS. What this will mean for folks
      like you is unclear.

      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 9 5:49 PM
        On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM, jhnmarkley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
        > BTW, with regard to unix for any interested peditors (Dennis?), Android OS devices are accessible to unix/linux terminal manipulation at the root level with several available terminal emulator applications - here's one info link -

        > http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/44647-using-terminal.html

        Assuming you *have* root, I think. But yes, you should be able to do that.

        For that matter, I did it on my old Linksys WRT54G router. The model
        I had used a Linux kernel. and several different third-party firmware
        replacements were available. I used one called Tomato, and could ssh
        to a command line in the router and use vi to diddle config files.
        (My SO was bemused at me running vi *on* my router.)

        The Linksys died, and the emergency replacement Belkin doesn't appear
        to be hackable, alas.

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 9 5:57 PM
          On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM, John Harms <photojhh@...> wrote:
          > Paul --
          >
          > Wow, it's fun to see the peditors forum
          > suddenly spring to life, if only temporarily! :-)

          If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.

          pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves to
          persist. We found other things to talk about back when...

          > - For iPhone text editing, Notebooks (http://www.notebooksapp.com/) directly
          > imported my many PalmOS memos, preserving the filenames and category hierarchy.
          > It has great text searching facilities, allowing me to easily find anything in
          > my notes.

          > - For MS Office document editing, I use Documents To Go (http://www.dataviz.com/dtg_home.html).

          Dataviz has versions of DTG for a variety of platforms. I have DTG 8
          on the TX, with the ability to do "native" conversion of MS documents
          (mostly spreadsheets) on the PDA, instead of having to do them on the
          desktop and Hotsync.

          > - For bulk text entry via the touch interface, I use MessagEase (http://www.exideas.com/ME), the same
          > software keyboard I used for years on PalmOS. If I have a handy lap or table,
          > there is the Apple Bluetooth keyboard (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC184LL/B/apple-wireless-keyboard-english),
          > which is how I take all my meeting notes, etc.

          I still have and use a Palm folding keyboard. If I get a table, a BT
          keybpard will join the mix.

          > - For sync with my computer, I use Dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com).

          You and lots of other people. There was a bit of a stir recently:
          Dropbox hired Guido von Rossum, the creator of the Python language.
          Guido had been at Google, but Dropbox makes heavy use of python, and
          decided having the guy who wrote it in the first place on staff was a
          good idea.

          > | John Harms (photojhh@...)
          https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
        • jhnmarkley
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 9 6:00 PM
            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

            > I expect increasing convergence by Apple, too, and at some point I
            > expect OS/X to be subsumed into iOS. What this will mean for folks
            > like you is unclear.

            Best guess, he'll make it work no matter what....

            ~ John
          • voytekeymont
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 9 7:17 PM
              On Wed, April 10, 2013 10:57 am, dmccunney wrote:

              > I still have and use a Palm folding keyboard. If I get a table, a BT
              > keybpard will join the mix.

              have quite a few Palm folding keyboards.... including the 5 row ones;
              but, never got the bt one...(never wanted to pay the price....)

              but, with the Xoom or Atrix got Motorola bt keyboard/mouse combo (not
              folding though, oh well)
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 9 7:52 PM
                On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                > On Wed, April 10, 2013 10:57 am, dmccunney wrote:
                >
                >> I still have and use a Palm folding keyboard. If I get a table, a BT
                >> keybpard will join the mix.
                >
                > have quite a few Palm folding keyboards.... including the 5 row ones;
                > but, never got the bt one...(never wanted to pay the price....)

                The current one here is a 5 row PalmOne model. I believe I have a 4
                row floating around somewhere too, and still have a Targus Stowaway
                from the old Visor Pro.

                I passed on BT for the Palm because of intended usage. On the old
                Zodiac, at least, I could use Wifi (via a SanDisk Wifi SD card) *or*
                Bluetooth, but not both at once. Since a use case involved using the
                keyboard while connected via Wifi, that let out a BT keyboard, but an
                IR model was usable.

                Should an Android device join the family, a BT keyboard will be a necessity.

                > but, with the Xoom or Atrix got Motorola bt keyboard/mouse combo (not
                > folding though, oh well)

                Are folding BT units that work with the phones available?
                https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
              • Voytek Eymont
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 9 8:25 PM
                  http://jornostore.com/specifications/ ?

                  The company that used to make Palm's ones, doesn't seem to make them anymore

                  dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

                  >On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                  >> On Wed, April 10, 2013 10:57 am, dmccunney wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I still have and use a Palm folding keyboard. If I get a table, a
                  >BT
                  >>> keybpard will join the mix.
                  >>
                  >> have quite a few Palm folding keyboards.... including the 5 row ones;
                  >> but, never got the bt one...(never wanted to pay the price....)
                  >
                  >The current one here is a 5 row PalmOne model. I believe I have a 4
                  >row floating around somewhere too, and still have a Targus Stowaway
                  >from the old Visor Pro.
                  >
                  >I passed on BT for the Palm because of intended usage. On the old
                  >Zodiac, at least, I could use Wifi (via a SanDisk Wifi SD card) *or*
                  >Bluetooth, but not both at once. Since a use case involved using the
                  >keyboard while connected via Wifi, that let out a BT keyboard, but an
                  >IR model was usable.
                  >
                  >Should an Android device join the family, a BT keyboard will be a
                  >necessity.
                  >
                  >> but, with the Xoom or Atrix got Motorola bt keyboard/mouse combo (not
                  >> folding though, oh well)
                  >
                  >Are folding BT units that work with the phones available?
                  >______
                  >Dennis
                  >https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

                  >Groups Links

                  Voytek
                  --
                  Sent from my Moom with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

                • John Messeder
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 9 8:26 PM
                    I also miss pToolSet, though I'm on my second Android.

                    John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
                    http://johnmesseder.com/
                    @John_Messeder
                    Ph: 717.253.0605
                    Member, Society of Environmental Journalists
                    Member, National Society of Newspaper Columnists

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 9 9:13 PM
                      On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Voytek Eymont <voytek@...> wrote:
                      > http://jornostore.com/specifications/ ?
                      >
                      > The company that used to make Palm's ones, doesn't seem to make them anymore

                      The ones I'm familiar with were an OEM offering from Think Outside.
                      who also sold them under their own name. Think Outside got purchased
                      by Mobility Electronics, who renamed themselves iGO. They still
                      exist, but no longer produce keyboards.
                      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                    • Jochen Konietzko
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 9 11:37 PM
                        Hi, Paul,

                        your programs (or do we now call them apps?) have been working so well for me, that for quite a number of years now I haven't even checked whether I've got the latest version.

                        Just now I tried - and the first link (osuweb) gave me a "not found" error, the second (peditors) led to a Japanese site.

                        Are there still any links around that work?

                        Regards,

                        Jochen

                        Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. April 2013 um 06:13 Uhr
                        Von: dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...>
                        An: peditors@yahoogroups.com
                        Betreff: Re: [peditors] hi...
                        On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Voytek Eymont <voytek@...> wrote:
                        > http://jornostore.com/specifications/ ?
                        >
                        > The company that used to make Palm's ones, doesn't seem to make them anymore

                        The ones I'm familiar with were an OEM offering from Think Outside.
                        who also sold them under their own name. Think Outside got purchased
                        by Mobility Electronics, who renamed themselves iGO. They still
                        exist, but no longer produce keyboards.
                        https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519[https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519]

                      • nevaip
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 10 3:10 AM
                          Hi Jochen:

                          Try

                          http://www.paulcomputing.com

                          which points to

                          http://home.roadrunner.com/~nevai/palm/

                          Best regards, Paul

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 10 4:23 AM
                            Hi John:

                            On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 03:22:30PM +0000, John Harms wrote:
                            > Paul, it was a fun ride with PalmOS, fueled by your pedit suite of
                            > software!  Thanks again for your legacy of making handheld computers useful for
                            > note-taking and life organization!  :-)

                            You are most welcome. /Paul
                          • photojhh
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 10 7:56 AM

                              > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                              > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                              > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...

                              Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:

                              "Peditors Forum is a public, high traffic (up to several tens of messages per day) mailing list for general discussions among users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit is a family of powerful Memo Pad and Doc compatible text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS operating system....Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, tips and tricks, troubleshooting and requests for help, using pedit as a programming editor, general information, brainstorming on new features, bug reports, success stories (i.e. when pedit is the perfect tool for a given task), use with external keyboards, IR printing, exchanging data with desktop PCs, announcements of compatible third-party products, development of tools for processing pedit databases, and more."

                              -- JohnH
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 10 12:41 PM
                                On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:

                                >> If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                                >> pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                                >> to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                                >
                                > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:

                                > <...>

                                I have Group Moderator privileges, and may add/delete stuff in the
                                files section, but I don't believe I can change the group's
                                description.

                                What would you change it to?

                                It's not clear we need to do so: the group has 1,300+ members. If
                                enough notice it's still active, we can have a lively community.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 11 9:57 PM
                                  --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

                                  > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >> If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                                  > >> pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                                  > >> to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                                  > >
                                  > > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit. Currently it says:
                                  >
                                  > > <...>
                                  > It's not clear we need to do so: the group has 1,300+ members. If
                                  > enough notice it's still active, we can have a lively community.

                                  True. We can see how things go from here, then worry about group description text later if needed.
                                • Paolo Amoroso
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 12 11:10 AM
                                    On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:

                                    > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                                    > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                                    > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                                    > >

                                    > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description
                                    > a bit. Currently it says:

                                    I may change the group description like this:

                                    Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
                                    users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                                    such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                                    family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                                    operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
                                    manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
                                    venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
                                    pedit.

                                    As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
                                    as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
                                    Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
                                    most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
                                    root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
                                    experience over features.

                                    Paolo
                                    --
                                    Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

                                  • photojhh
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 12 11:36 AM
                                      --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Amoroso <paolo.amoroso@...> wrote:
                                      > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM, photojhh <photojhh@...> wrote:
                                      > > > If we keep talking to each other, it won't be temporary.
                                      > > > pedit/ptoolset may largely be history, but this community deserves
                                      > > > to persist. We found other things to talk about back when...
                                      > > Indeed, that would be cool. We might want to change the group description a bit...
                                      > >

                                      > I may change the group description like this:
                                      >
                                      > Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions
                                      > among users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                                      > such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                                      > family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                                      > operating system. As Palm OS is obsolete, compatible devices are no longer
                                      > manufactured, and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a
                                      > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of
                                      > pedit.

                                      Sounds good to me. You might add after "fond memories of pedit":

                                      ...pedit. It can also be helpful for anyone who uses
                                      a handheld computer to organize their lives and data,
                                      continuing the "PDA" legacy started with Palm OS and
                                      enhanced with the pedit family of tools.

                                      My $0.02.

                                      -- JohnH

                                      > As for me, I switched to Android, particularly Google-branded devices such
                                      > as those in the Nexus line. For me the choice was simple. I love Unix and
                                      > Google, and devices with the Google experience offer possibly the widest,
                                      > most up to date and better access to Google products and services. I don't
                                      > root devices or use alternate ROMs because I value stability and stock
                                      > experience over features.
                                      >

                                      > Paolo
                                      > --
                                      > Paolo Amoroso - http://www.google.com/profiles/paolo.amoroso

                                    • Markley Jr, John
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 12 12:09 PM
                                        Hi Paolo -

                                        1) excellent description

                                        2) I've taken exactly the same route as you, currently running a Nexus 4

                                        regards,
                                        John Markley
                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 12 4:31 PM
                                          > compatible devices are no longer manufactured,

                                          I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

                                          > this forum remains as a
                                          > venue for the community of former users and those with fond memories of

                                          and current users ?

                                          I have several Android devices, BUT, still Palm for what's important..

                                          BTW, I use pTools 'case converter' to convert either emails or scraped
                                          text from ALL UPPER CASE to Title Case, what can one use on Android to
                                          convert arbitrary text
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 15 9:16 AM
                                            On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                                            >> compatible devices are no longer manufactured,
                                            >
                                            > I think Aceca sp? in NZ still makes Palm based hardware...

                                            They do. They make ruggedized handheld units running Palm OS Garnet
                                            or Windows CE 5.0. See http://www.aceeca.com/ (The PDA32 unit looks
                                            interesting. They claim to have Linux in development for it.)

                                            They are also still relevant to the dwindling installed base of Palm users.

                                            I spent a few days redoing the setup on a friend's old Tungsten E2,
                                            which got unearthed as part of a massive apartment cleaning. A new
                                            charging cable from a Chinese manufacturer got it to power up, and the
                                            use of NVFS meant the old data was still there.

                                            Next stop was hotsyncing with her Win7 laptop. Palm desktop 6.2
                                            installed as expected, but Hotsync didn't happen because it's a 64 bit
                                            machine and Palm's USB drivers are 32 bit. As it happens, Aceeca has
                                            a beta 64 bit USB driver package that can be substituted, and once in
                                            place, Hotsync worked. See
                                            http://www.aceeca.com/index.php?option=com_maqmahelpdesk&Itemid=5&id_workgroup=1&task=downloads_product&id=6

                                            (Installing it required working through Windows Device Manager, so
                                            it's not a project for a non-technical user.)
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 20 7:38 AM
                                              I updated the group description based on your suggestions, here's the new
                                              one:

                                              Peditors Forum started as a mailing list for general discussions among
                                              users of pedit--a.k.a. "peditors"--and other applications by Paul Nevai
                                              such as LapTopHack, pToolSet, superFinderHack, and printHack. pedit was a
                                              family of powerful text editors for palmtop organizers running the Palm OS
                                              operating system.

                                              As Palm OS is now largely obsolete, compatible devices are niche products,
                                              and pedit is no longer maintained, this forum remains as a venue for the
                                              community of former or current users, and those with fond memories of