Re: [peditors] Adventures in TeXas

  • voytekeymont
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
      On Tue, April 9, 2013 1:19 pm, voytek@... wrote:
      > (sending via pm)

      hmmmm, was stuck in outbound Q, deleted it now:

      The host could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
      server name correctly.

      Subject 'NETFront'
      Protocol: SMTP
      Port: 587
      Secure(SSL): Yes
      Socket Error: 11001

      (out of curiosity, looked at my Netfront history, seemed I've used last at
      Sydney airports on an overseas trip)
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
        On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
        > While the group has been quiet for a while, I suspect at least some
        > folks still have it in their email configuration, and people here are
        > likely to appreciate the story. (Warning: long post follows.)

        And update or two, under the heading (mis)Adventures in TeXas...

        > (EDIT: It hasn't. Now Hotsync
        > crashes when run, and I have no idea what's going on. I simply get a
        > Windows message that Hotsync has encountered an error and needs to
        > close. This has persisted through a remove and reinstall of Palm
        > Desktop. This is not critical, as I can Hotsync to another Windows
        > machine running Win2K, but it's like having an itch I can't scratch
        > when I don't understand what's going on. )

        It gets more curious. After a couple of removals/reinstalls of Palm
        Desktop with Hotsync still dieing horribly when run, I decided to try
        it from a different userid. There are several configured users on the
        system where this occurred, so I logged off my normal account and
        logged on as a different user. Hotsync worked just fine. The problem
        wasn't on the Pam Desktop and Hotsync end - it was something specific
        to my configuration. Since it used to work on my ID, the challenge is
        figuring out what change I made that broke it.

        > LX works fine on the TX; other things didn't.

        There's a quirk with LX, too. I got bitten years back by an LX bug:
        if the LX database that held the config info grew beyond 64KB, LX
        choked. I believe I was the first to report the issue, because I had a
        complex enough LX config with everything *including* the kitchen sink
        installed that LX *hit* that limit. Bozidar apparently thought he
        knew what was going on, but felt it would take some work to fix. He
        implemented a partial fix that made LX less likely to hit the 64K
        limit in practice, but died before getting to a real fix.

        The odd bit was that it appeared to be version dependent. After Jeff
        Gibson of GoTreo software bought LX and started the beta cycle for a
        new version, I had at least one beta where the bug didn't bite. I
        created an LX config where I pushed the database size to something
        like 220K with no ill effects. A subsequent beta broke it again, and
        the 64K limit bit. Jeff couldn't figure out what was going on, but
        needed to get a release out the door. *His* work-around was to cap
        the LX DB size at 64K, and if it grew over that, updates would
        silently fail. I forgot Jeff had done that till I added some things
        when my LX DB was one the edge of the limit, and said "Why aren't the
        icons appearing in the first LX tab as they should?" Oh. Right. I
        forgot Jeff's "fix".

        I could find some stuff to remove to give me headroom, but this is a
        problem with no real solution beyond "Don't add more stuff unless you
        can make some existing stuff go away".

        > The pick of the litter is probably Apt, an open source application
        > that is a sort of control panel on steroids for Palm devices.

        I'm still finding things to do with Apt, and it's a "Why did I not
        know about this years ago?" item.

        The other major change was getting NetFront working. I had it on my
        Zodiac, but attempts to install it on the TX produced hard resets. It
        turns out Dmitry Grinberg had packaged it as a PRC installer, with
        NetFront and the other stuff it needed. Hotsync the installer to the
        TX, run it, let it reset, and Poof! A working NetFront installation.

        I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
        security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and
        I'm not about to lower my security for the TX.

        On the Zodiac, I had a SanDisk Wifi SD card with 256MB of storage.
        It worked, but the SanDisk drivers only did WEP.. To get around that,
        I added a second router. That was configured as an access point,
        connecting via a CAT5 cable to the Linksys primary. The Zodiac
        connected to the second router using WEP, and I had MAC address
        filtering turned on as well. Since the second router was an access
        point, DHCP and connection to the outside world were handled by the
        Linksys, which saw the secondary router as a trusted client, so the
        Zodiac could authenticate through it.

        The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
        router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the
        same thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't
        found the right magic spell for this configuration.

        This is actually fun for the most part. I *like* technical challenges.
        https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
      • voytekeymont
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
          > I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
          > security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
          > not about to lower my security for the TX.

          mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

          in the past, on maybe 2 or 3 ocassion, in public space, couldn't connect,
          mostly to do with browser authentication, I think ? neither Bloater nor
          NetFront was able to (javascript ?) pass credentials.

          maybe once couldn't latch on.

          maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me
        • voytekeymont
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
            > The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
            > router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
            > thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
            > right magic spell for this configuration.

            I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid

            hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:

            Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
            Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
              On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

              >> The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
              >> router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
              >> thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
              >> right magic spell for this configuration.
              >
              > I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid
              >
              > hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:
              >
              > Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
              > Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

              I was running Tomato on my old WRT54G. I'll have to see about putting
              a DD-WRT flavor on the old Linksys 801B model if there's one that can
              be used.

              I don't think I can use third party firmware on the current Belkin
              primary, but I'll poke around.
              https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                >> I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                >> security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
                >> not about to lower my security for the TX.
                >
                > mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

                Doesn't here. The connection simply fails, whether I use Auto
                TKIP/AES or specify AES. I don't see any useful log information to
                tell me why it failed, either.

                > maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me

                Maybe. I've added it to my list of things to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
                https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519