Re: [peditors] Adventures in TeXas

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
      On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Dwight C. Carr <carrdwight@...> wrote:
      > FWIW, I do have Netfront running on my TX using a custom ROM developed by Dmitry Grindberg. Chris Short installed the ROM. Still doesn't make for a very nice on-line experience with the TX, but I don't use the TX online anymore anyway. Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates, etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their device.

      As it happens, NetFront is now running here. A bit of Googling
      revealed that Dmitry packaged NetFront and supporting files in a PRC
      you could hotsync, and it would install it for you. Worked fine and
      was painless. (How I missed the package poking around on Dmitry's
      site isn't clear.)

      (There's a TX ROM posed on Dmitry's site, but no documentation on the
      site or in the archive of what it does and how it differs from the
      stock ROM. Without knowing more, I wasn't about to fiddle.)

      > Also, the new Blackberry devices with V10 of their OS looks very capable.

      Yep. RIM bought Qnx, makers of a real time OS solution, and used Qnx
      as the basis of the new BB OS. It looks very nice indeed. The big
      lack at the moment is apps, which will require attracting developers
      back to the platform. It's a classic Catch 22: they need apps to sell
      devices, but developers are unlikely to write for the platform unless
      it has a proven market who might buy their wares.

      > Best Regards,
      > Dwight...
      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
    • voytekeymont
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
        (sending via pm)

        not sure.... but, I think ? Maxx executes on boot....

        here all nf3 creator id and 1 x maxx....

        and, please remember, if this wipes your Palm, there is no need to thank
        me for free space gained..

        (hmmm couldn't open Palm via Drive Mode, must be missing device drivers...)

        probably did need all of these, but..

        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,857,286 NetFront3.prc
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 112 NF3AUTHINFO.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 362 NF3BOOKMARKDB.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 96 NF3CACHEDB.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,231 NF3COOKIEDB.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 80 NF3FILEDIALOGDB.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 176 NF3INFODB.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 362 NF3MSDB.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 80 NF3PLUGINDB.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 224 NF3URLHISTORYDB.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,520 VisitLog.pdb
        09/04/2013 01:04 PM 3,219 MaxX.pdb
      • voytekeymont
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
          On Tue, April 9, 2013 1:19 pm, voytek@... wrote:
          > (sending via pm)

          hmmmm, was stuck in outbound Q, deleted it now:

          The host could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
          server name correctly.

          Subject 'NETFront'
          Protocol: SMTP
          Port: 587
          Secure(SSL): Yes
          Socket Error: 11001

          (out of curiosity, looked at my Netfront history, seemed I've used last at
          Sydney airports on an overseas trip)
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
            On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
            > While the group has been quiet for a while, I suspect at least some
            > folks still have it in their email configuration, and people here are
            > likely to appreciate the story. (Warning: long post follows.)

            And update or two, under the heading (mis)Adventures in TeXas...

            > (EDIT: It hasn't. Now Hotsync
            > crashes when run, and I have no idea what's going on. I simply get a
            > Windows message that Hotsync has encountered an error and needs to
            > close. This has persisted through a remove and reinstall of Palm
            > Desktop. This is not critical, as I can Hotsync to another Windows
            > machine running Win2K, but it's like having an itch I can't scratch
            > when I don't understand what's going on. )

            It gets more curious. After a couple of removals/reinstalls of Palm
            Desktop with Hotsync still dieing horribly when run, I decided to try
            it from a different userid. There are several configured users on the
            system where this occurred, so I logged off my normal account and
            logged on as a different user. Hotsync worked just fine. The problem
            wasn't on the Pam Desktop and Hotsync end - it was something specific
            to my configuration. Since it used to work on my ID, the challenge is
            figuring out what change I made that broke it.

            > LX works fine on the TX; other things didn't.

            There's a quirk with LX, too. I got bitten years back by an LX bug:
            if the LX database that held the config info grew beyond 64KB, LX
            choked. I believe I was the first to report the issue, because I had a
            complex enough LX config with everything *including* the kitchen sink
            installed that LX *hit* that limit. Bozidar apparently thought he
            knew what was going on, but felt it would take some work to fix. He
            implemented a partial fix that made LX less likely to hit the 64K
            limit in practice, but died before getting to a real fix.

            The odd bit was that it appeared to be version dependent. After Jeff
            Gibson of GoTreo software bought LX and started the beta cycle for a
            new version, I had at least one beta where the bug didn't bite. I
            created an LX config where I pushed the database size to something
            like 220K with no ill effects. A subsequent beta broke it again, and
            the 64K limit bit. Jeff couldn't figure out what was going on, but
            needed to get a release out the door. *His* work-around was to cap
            the LX DB size at 64K, and if it grew over that, updates would
            silently fail. I forgot Jeff had done that till I added some things
            when my LX DB was one the edge of the limit, and said "Why aren't the
            icons appearing in the first LX tab as they should?" Oh. Right. I
            forgot Jeff's "fix".

            I could find some stuff to remove to give me headroom, but this is a
            problem with no real solution beyond "Don't add more stuff unless you
            can make some existing stuff go away".

            > The pick of the litter is probably Apt, an open source application
            > that is a sort of control panel on steroids for Palm devices.

            I'm still finding things to do with Apt, and it's a "Why did I not
            know about this years ago?" item.

            The other major change was getting NetFront working. I had it on my
            Zodiac, but attempts to install it on the TX produced hard resets. It
            turns out Dmitry Grinberg had packaged it as a PRC installer, with
            NetFront and the other stuff it needed. Hotsync the installer to the
            TX, run it, let it reset, and Poof! A working NetFront installation.

            I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
            security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and
            I'm not about to lower my security for the TX.

            On the Zodiac, I had a SanDisk Wifi SD card with 256MB of storage.
            It worked, but the SanDisk drivers only did WEP.. To get around that,
            I added a second router. That was configured as an access point,
            connecting via a CAT5 cable to the Linksys primary. The Zodiac
            connected to the second router using WEP, and I had MAC address
            filtering turned on as well. Since the second router was an access
            point, DHCP and connection to the outside world were handled by the
            Linksys, which saw the secondary router as a trusted client, so the
            Zodiac could authenticate through it.

            The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
            router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the
            same thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't
            found the right magic spell for this configuration.

            This is actually fun for the most part. I *like* technical challenges.
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
              > I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
              > security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
              > not about to lower my security for the TX.

              mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

              in the past, on maybe 2 or 3 ocassion, in public space, couldn't connect,
              mostly to do with browser authentication, I think ? neither Bloater nor
              NetFront was able to (javascript ?) pass credentials.

              maybe once couldn't latch on.

              maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me
            • voytekeymont
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                > The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                > router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
                > thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
                > right magic spell for this configuration.

                I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid

                hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:

                Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
                Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                  On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                  >> The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                  >> router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
                  >> thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
                  >> right magic spell for this configuration.
                  >
                  > I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid
                  >
                  > hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:
                  >
                  > Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
                  > Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

                  I was running Tomato on my old WRT54G. I'll have to see about putting
                  a DD-WRT flavor on the old Linksys 801B model if there's one that can
                  be used.

                  I don't think I can use third party firmware on the current Belkin
                  primary, but I'll poke around.
                  https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                    On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                    >> I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                    >> security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
                    >> not about to lower my security for the TX.
                    >
                    > mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

                    Doesn't here. The connection simply fails, whether I use Auto
                    TKIP/AES or specify AES. I don't see any useful log information to
                    tell me why it failed, either.

                    > maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me

                    Maybe. I've added it to my list of things to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
                    https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519